Hacking I Have Some Questions

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Wii that has a modchip. I don't know which chip it is, and the firmware is 3.1U.
Some of the discs that I bought work and some do not.
I haven't played the Wii in a long time and after getting a 52" HDTV, I want to see what I can do with the Wii.

So my questions are:
How can I play Gamecube games?
What homebrews are recommended?
What kind of homebrews can I put on if I softmod it using TP?
And can I update the firmware?

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes
2. Anything you like
3. All
4. Firmware of the Wii? If you mean system menu then there is no point. If you mean chip, then obviously not since you don't know what chip it is.

wpilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright well your question is pretty broad but i'll see if i can help you out so here goes:

1. GAMECUBE GAMES As far as playing gamecube games i am assuming you are talking about backed up gamecube games as your wii can play your originals through the disc channel already. I am not sure about with a chipped wii what your options are for gamecube play but with softmod the only available answer currently is through a newly developed gamecube backup launcher. it works but is by no means flawless with more development needed you can read more about it and about how to do it from this thread (tj_cool gives a nice little sum up of what to do to get it working) http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=137891.

2. HOMEBREW There are tons of brewed stuff available that you might want so you'll have to do the research and find out just what suits your fancy you can check out the wiki section of this forum and get a list of some of the homebrew that is available you can also check out wiibrew.org or just cruise the threads to see what is being talked about. . . that's really all up to you.

3. UPDATING WII If you do decide to do the tp hack and put homebrew on and everything djtaz has a nice guide that is in his signature that will show you where to get the hacks and how to install them. along with his package comes a safe update tool. This tool should update your wii allowing you to use shop channel and download the ios' needed without actually making the tp hack useless. there is also the possibility to upgrade to 3.4 and in this same tutorial it explains how to use a downgrader tool that comes with his package either way you'll be set.

Hope that helps you out

EDIT btw if you haven't noticed all of this is pretty much pertaining to your options on the softmodding side of things as far as how these questions pertain to your chip someone else will have to answer as i have not chipped my wii nor do i know enough about it to advise others

Gohobojoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so now I have used the Twilight Hack and put on HBC, but when I try to use cIOS downgrader, it resets the Wii and nothing's changed.

wpilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your first post you said you were running version 3.1 on ur wii if that's the case then the downgrader is not necessary unless you update your wii to 3.4 and are trying to downgrade from there....? more info plz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.