Hacking I have Sky3ds PLUS cart for my 3DS. Can I use new software to get away from the buttons?

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few years ago I got a sky3ds plus cartridge for my 3DS. It had the buttons that you had to press to cycle between the games. I just looked and it seems like there is all new software available to allow playing games on 3DS. Can I use the new software (hacks) and stop using the sky3ds cart? Is there any need for the cart any more?

Roveer

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few years ago I got a sky3ds plus cartridge for my 3DS. It had the buttons that you had to press to cycle between the games. I just looked and it seems like there is all new software available to allow playing games on 3DS. Can I use the new software (hacks) and stop using the sky3ds cart? Is there any need for the cart any more?

Roveer
you dont need sky3ds anymore
go to 3ds.hacks.guide to get cfw, which will let you play the games without the cartridge.
you can use godmode9 to convert the .3ds files to installable .cia files.

Last edited by Itzumi,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use the new software (hacks) and stop using the sky3ds cart?
yes sir . . . people will recommend frogminer as the method you should do . . . if i knew more about what firmware is on the concole i could give you slightly better advice but for now all i can say is read here 3DS Hacks Guide - 3DS Hacks Guide
Is there any need for the cart any more?
collectible, keeping your gamecard slot from getting lonely . . . ok so there is not

Last edited by wormdood,

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have the following:

2DS that has a R4 RTS 3DS card in it and is on 11.2.0-35U FW
3DSXL that has a sky3DS+ card in it and is on 11.3.0-36U FW

I'd like to do the software (I'm just learning about this stuff, CIA, FBI, godmode9 etc) to run these machines without carts. I'd like to do without having to hardmod (soldering) if possible. Will that R43DS cart help me do that?

Should I upgrade firmware to the latest 11.8.whatever on both machines? or are the older FW's an advantage at this point (to avoid hardmod?) I see from googling that latest FW is 11.8.0-41U. is it safe to upgrade to this version? the Guide website says I can use Frogminer (boot9strap) on this version. Is that accurate?

I still have a lot of reading to do, but eventually I'll get better at this.

Roveer

Last edited by roveer,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2DS that has a R4 RTS 3DS card in it and is on 11.2.0-35U FW
3DSXL that has a sky3DS+ card in it and is on 11.3.0-36U FW

I'd like to do the software (I'm just learning about this stuff, CIA, FBI, godmode9 etc) to run these machines without carts. I'd like to do without having to hardmod (soldering) if possible.
on both of your consoles soundhax is your simplest install methods Homebrew Launcher (Soundhax) - 3DS Hacks Guide

Should I upgrade firmware to the latest 11.8.whatever on both machines?
the guide i gave you will have you update at the appropriate time

or are the older FW's an advantage at this point (to avoid hardmod?)
depending on the specific firmware it can be easier to install cfw but other than the installation process itself no there is no advantage (no hardmod needed;))

I see from googling that latest FW is 11.8.0-41U. is it safe to upgrade to this version?
it is and there is a free cfw install method available to users with 11.8.41 frogminer . . . but soundhax is simpler

the Guide website says I can use Frogminer (boot9strap) on this version. Is that accurate?
see the above quote

R4 RTS 3DS ... Will that R43DS cart help me do that?
R4i 3DS RTS (r4i-sdhc.com) (the website will be on the sticker on the bottom)
if this is the card you mean than it can indeed be used for ntrboot (a exploit used for installing cfw on any fw console, as well as unbricking 3ds consoles)

also, you will need to convert your .3ds games to .cia you can do this via godmode9 once you have it (or download them online) and your sky3ds saves can be transferred to cia equivalent games with a save file homebrew tool like jksm

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Itzumi

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on both of your consoles soundhax is your simplest install methods Homebrew Launcher (Soundhax) - 3DS Hacks Guide

That you to everyone who responded. wormdood, thanks for your response. I'll be looking at the guide and we'll see what happens. Looking forward to the next level of 3DS homebrew. That skycard with the stupid buttons was such a bummer.

Roveer

Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That skycard with the stupid buttons was such a bummer.
i know yet perhaps i could offer you something in exchange for it when this is all over and you are setup (my buddy is afraid of cfw ... but not piracy . . . and i could never see myself actually buying one but hopefully i have something of value to you:unsure:)

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use decrypted .3ds files that say they are for Citra Emulator? Somewhere else I saw they were "decrypted and trimmed". Will they work on my consoles?

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what you will need is .cia files .3ds is only used by flashcards although godmode9 has the ability to convert .3ds to .cia

Got it. I've been learning about godmod9 and that it will convert to cia. Question is, will those decrypted/trimmed games (1TB of them) work after conversion? Is this a "try it and see" thing?

Roveer

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The website where I download soundhax make me chose a few things. One thing is FW version which it says 5.x-11.2 My 3DS-XL is on 11.3. Is that going to be ok?

roveer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I did the 2DS last night. Worked well, no problems. What a lot of steps and I felt like I had no idea what each step was doing. Amazing that this stuff works, so Kudos to those who spent the time figuring it all out. The guides are pretty amazing. Thank you again for your guidance.

I used godmode9 and FBI to get a few games on and worked well. I tried some of my newly downloaded "citra" games and they would not convert. I'm going to mess around a little. I'm not finding any good sources for games and remember reading that several sites shutdown. Is there a secret to finding games? I remember this being a problem when I first got the sky card as well.

Roveer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn