I have original R4, which is latest firmware to use?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by eagles5769, Dec 29, 2009.

1. eagles5769
    OP

Newcomer eagles5769 Member

United States
    I read that YSM09.12.05 is the latest. I think right now I have YS Menu v1.23. I cannot get Chrono Trigger DS to work so I figured its time to upgrade again. Went from 1.13 to 1.18 to YS Menu v1.23.

So just download the latest YS Menu I mentioned from Dec 5, 2009 and copy those files over to the DS overwriting the other ones?

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    YSMenu 1.23? dont you mean r4li version 1.23?

YSMenu doesnt use those numbers. it uses YYYYMMMMDDDD something like that.

3. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    To be honest I don't really know what I have, all that I know is that in the root of my card I have files called:
    YSMENU.ARP
    TTMENU.SYS
    DS_MENU.DAT
    TTMenu (Folder)

What do I need to play all the latest games?

4. lightyear

Member lightyear GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd also love to know this...I'm pretty dumb about DS, but I know I barely got YS installed by the skin on my ass-cheeks [​IMG] It took for damn ever to figure that crap out!!!

5. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It helps to know exactly what card you have as most R4's are clones. The best way is to post the web address on the card if there is one, or the name of the card like R4i-III.

6. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    All I did was copy and paste files I found on the internet and all the newer games seemed to work like Bowsers Inside Story and Kingdom Hearts.
    I look at the tutorial stickies on here for R4 and I can't believe how much work one has to do. All I want is to drag and drop a new firmware on like I did with the original firmwares and the YS menu I have installed now.

7. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    I have THE original legit R4DS I bought back in the summer of 07.
    http://r4ds.com/

8. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    He said he has an Original R4...

So, you got YSMenu installed, did you? If not, go here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164...t=0&start=0 or here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130...t=0&start=0.

If so, get the latest extinfo.dat, infolib.dat, and savlib.dat here: http://sites.google.com/site/weeklyinfolib/. I know that the Extinfo.dat isn't there, so here's another link for it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2uznkozzzdw/extinfo.zip. The extinfo.dat doesn't belong to me, it belongs to the people who made them.

The latest YSMenu out is 3/27/2009, so make sure you compiled the YSMenu for your R4 with this one (EZ 3 in 1 + NOR)

The latest Firmware for the Original R4 is v 1.18.

9. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    Okay I updated but Chrono Trigger still doesn't work. The first Chrono Trigger rom I tried was in spanish but now I tried a supposely english one and it never loads, just a white screen. Every other game I have works fine though.

10. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Try grabbing it from somewhere else, it sounds like it's corrupted. Also try playing Zelda:ST or Mario & Luigi 3. If both those games run without the copy protection kicking in then you've set it up correctly.

11. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    Both those games go to the menu screen of their games with no problems. But I tried another Chrono Trigger rom that apparantly is patched and that gives me the sames results, a white screen after starting it. Any suggestions?

12. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    I'm starting to think maybe Chrono Trigger isn't compatible with the original R4. I keep reading you need to disable the antipiracy cheat but I see no cheat options for that game. I have the most updated cheat file.

Also what is DSTT exactly? I have a R4 original and couldn't get the YS Menu to work right with those tutorials you posted so I downloaded one already made called YSMENU_R4_1.17A12 and that runs everything I have including Bowsers Inside Story and Spirit Tracks but does not run Chrono Trigger.

13. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  14. eagles5769
    OP

United States
    I heard it works with the official firmware v1.18 with the updated cheat so am I going to have to swap firmwares every time I want to play that game?

15. twiztidsinz

United States
    If you want to run YSMenu as firmware, yeah...

Alternatively, you can build YSMenu as an NDS file, rename it to DEFAULT.NDS (and set it as Hidden) and put it in the root.
    When you load up your DS normally, it will boot YSMenu. If you hold B as it's booting, it will load the official firmware.

This is odd, because I swear it was working on YSMenu/DSTT not too long ago.

Also, DSTT is the firmware for the DSTT card [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------

Hmmm... seems like my copy of CT might be bad... going to double check it and update if it's just my copy.

16. eagles5769
    OP

United States

meh I give up. I can't even get it working right with v1.18. I'll just play it using a PC SNES emulator. I used to own the game for my SNES but lost it a long time ago.

17. twiztidsinz

United States
    Yeah... I had a bad ROM.

It was 40someodd MB. It should be 83.9MB trimmed for the (J) version.