NULL

I have never seen this much homebrew and modding activity on any console other than the Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Nickp2517, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Nickp2517
    OP

Nickp2517 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2017
    United States
    And it’s only been a year. How did the Switch modding scene blow up so quickly? We are a month away until Atmosphere and Xecuter SX Pro and the Switch is only one year old. How are people doing this so fast and efficiently?

ELY_M likes this.
  2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    1. The switch is just an interesting console, especially with its home-portable hybrid usability
    2. It's fairly powerful for a portable, so people want to hack it to see what it can do
    3. The wii u and 3ds hackers came in, many of which are very talented and have experience with a similar OS on the 3ds

3. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Somebody wasn't here for the Wii then.

4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    You should have looked better.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Hi. The Wii, 3/DS/i family, and PSP would like to have a word with you in the back...

6. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    The Psp was/IS fantastic.

Jayro likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Are you really going to rank the 3ds up with the Wii, DS and PSP (also original xbox as nobody mentioned that yet)?

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    cause it had exploits from day one, so there could be some sort of scene from day one too.
    then someone happened to find a pretty major oversight with their 'standard toolset for checking usb exploits'
    and finally, because the tegra chip is very well documented already, meaning much less reverse engineering and trial and error.

9. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    give him a break, he's lvl 1.

Bladexdsl and slaphappygamer like this.
  10. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Have you even heard of the PSP/Xbox/Wii? Jesus.

11. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    PSP, OG XBox & Wii consoles were very similar, though I only entered the PSP scene around the time DAX was about, and was very, very late into the OG XBox scene.

ShonenJump likes this.
  12. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Within the span of one year we went from a save game exploit which could only interact with GameCube controllers to loading games from USB hard drives

Switch is just a product of being hacked early with a huge audience. DS as well.

Last edited by lisreal2401, Jun 2, 2018
  13. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    Levelist!

JellyPerson likes this.
  14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    As far as Homebrew excitement and support goes, absolutely. They all had amazing Homebrew apps and support for them.

15. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    Yes, I'm also agist.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I would not want to compare the DS and Switch like that myself.

The DS was genuinely a best in class portable device, much like the GBA before it, and the other consoles mentioned were at a time when TVs had poor input support and no devices to go into them.

The switch is a reasonably swish though likely soon to be outclassed tablet, in a world where every laptop has a HDMI out and every TV a spare HDMI in, to say nothing of the likes of raspberry pis and general purpose tablets with HDMI. If it should get a reasonably well functioning android port then maybe it will be something special but I am not expecting much.

If all you cared about was emulators and could squint and look past injections then maybe. From where I sat then as far as general interest homebrew, devs doing things just because, devs doing things no lawyer or publisher would ever see proceed, devs making cool things and pushing limits and so forth that we saw on the GBA, DS, PSP, xbox and wii then it was not even in the same league. I thought I would have a little check of something like https://pdroms.de/news/nintendo-3ds and compare it to the DS equivalent https://pdroms.de/news/nintendods and it is not even close.
    Far from the worst homebrew scene but still nothing too awe inspiring, or indeed anything I would point a new person coming into this homebrew lark and say "that represents what it is all about".

17. MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2006
    It is exciting but when backup loaders become available it would be truly exciting.

18. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Pfff, this was all in one year. Give it another few more years and there'll be too much homebrew. Buuuuuut there's never too much homebrew. Not on GBATemp. ;)

ELY_M likes this.
  19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    How do you figure? There are devices with more power/better specs, better controls, easier monetisation, easier distribution, better coding support, wider audiences, similar form factors and often all at once.

20. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    And that's exactly what I'm looking forward too. Should be a wild ride during the Switch's lifespan. x3

Jayro likes this.