Gaming I have never "Really" played Pokémon, Should I start playing?

Oleboy555

OP
Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have only played Pokémon Diamond and Pearl on the DS and Pokémon Snap on the N64, but that was a long time ago, and I got stuck while playing Diamond and Pearl so I eventually quit.

I have heard many great things about Pokémon games and was wondering should I start playing?
Is it "Required" to start at Gen I and play through ALL Pokémon games after Gen I.

Or is there a more "Enjoyable" way to play Pokémon, because just looking at the Wiki page for Pokémon games there are like 40 Games for handhelds and that would take ages to finish.

Thanks in advance :)

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In my opinion, you should play each generation's third version when there is one, or one of the pair. Something like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, FireRed OR LeafGreen, Platinum, HeartGold OR SoulSilver, (Black AND Black 2) OR (White AND White 2), X OR Y, Omega Ruby OR Alpha Sapphire, Sun OR Moon.

If you don't have the time, just jump into one of the latest ones. They're not hard to pick up.

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose,

Oleboy555

OP
Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion, you should play each generation's third version when there is one, or one of the pair. Something like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, FireRed OR LeafGreen, Platinum, HeartGold OR SoulSilver, (Black AND Black 2) OR (White AND White 2), X OR Y, Omega Ruby OR Alpha Sapphire, Sun OR Moon.

If you don't have the time, just jump into one of the latest ones. They're not hard to pick up.

Why Black AND Black 2? (Or White AND White 2) I have heard from friends there almist the same?

Killaclown

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In your position I would start with Alpha Sapphire or Omega Ruby and see if you enjoy it. If you decide you like it, Sun and Moon switch up the formula enough so you have another game to look forward too. And then if you really like the games, you can go back further and play the older ones. They still hold up pretty good. IMO they are some great games, and since you prob don't know the evolutions you are gonna have some great fun with that too.

Last edited by Killaclown,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Story continuation. Black and Black 2 tell the first and second part of a single story. Gameplay-wise, they're quite similar, basically the same.

But there is no reason to stick with the same color for the second entry. You could play Black and White 2 or White and Black 2 and you'll still have the same overall experience.

Waywatcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Woah, flashback! I was in a similar situation a few months ago when I decided to give Pokémon Sun a go. I also played Pokémon Pearl (DS) and Pokémon X (3DS), and even though I remember they were quite addictive at first I stopped playing them after a few days. Pokémon Sun, however, turned out to be an awesome experience. It's currently my 2nd most played 3DS game in terms of total time played with 60:35. As a newbie I appreciated the constant information on where to go and what to do, because sometimes I didn't play for a few days and I forgot what my current mission was.

So based on my personal experience, you can't go wrong with Pokémon Sun/Moon ^_^

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
But there is no reason to stick with the same color for the second entry. You could play Black and White 2 or White and Black 2 and you'll still have the same overall experience.
If you stick to one color, you get both Reshiram and Zekrom (and two Kyurems). It you change it up, you end up with two Reshirams or two Zekroms (and two Kyurems).

JazzHandz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go for it I'd say, but if you start in Sun/Moon

Just a heads up, they switched things up quite a bit and honestly

story might be considered slightly harder because of it, at least in certain moments

takes more work to lvl things up too for the most part, compared to Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

but this is trivial stuff, as long as ya have fun you'll get your money's worth

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't like Sun and Moon much: They seemed like they were a rushed job and not as detailed as X/Y, Alpha/Omega. Less world to explore, more interminable cutscenes. I'm tired of replaying graphically enhanced versions of games from the 90s.

The old Smiths song Paint a Vulgar Picture sums up my Pokemon Experience: "Slip them into different sleeves, buy both and feel deceived...."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs