I have heard bad things, how many of you have experienced serious problems with your Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SweetieBelle, Apr 24, 2017.

?

Have you experienced a hardware related quality control issue with your Switch?

1. Yes, and my console is or was damaged. (Whether repaired or not)

5.8%
  2. Yes, I have a damaged peripheral. (eg: Joycon)

5.1%
  3. Yes, both peripheral/s and console is damaged.

2.9%
  4. No, I have not experienced a hardware failure.

86.2%
  1. SweetieBelle
    OP

SweetieBelle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Hi, I am considering purchasing a Switch, however I have heard lots of bad things, from heat warped consoles to outright hardware failure.

I am well aware the nature of the internet is that a single failure of such a device will be given media attention and it will be blown out of proportion.

I hear a failure rate of around 1% is pretty standard for gaming consoles, and I am curious whether this is the case for the Switch, or is it as bad as is portrayed online.

Please note, I am asking about hardware failures, not issues that can be patched with software updates. Basically, I am inquiring purely about a hardware purchase at this time and want the facts.

To elaborate, my question is, have you experienced a substantial quality control failure on your Nintendo switch, which has resulted in damage to the console, or peripherals, that is hardware QC related?
    In other words, are there any predominant hardware issues that make the Switch a bad purchase?

I am not talking about damage caused by abuse or neglect. (For example, putting the Joycon controllers on incorrectly and forcing them or having a running console overheating due to being left with poor ventilation)

2. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    I had no issues whatsoever.

3. sorabora

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
  4. SweetieBelle
    OP

SweetieBelle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
  5. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Ikebukuro

Im due to get my switch this week. So we are in the same boat and from the research that i have done there are no REAL issues. However, if there is a hardware problem then well Nintendo gives a 1year guarentee for free (at least frm where im buying mine from) and if i encounter any problems then ill send the switch back for repairs.

I think its rare your switch will be faulty since i heard nintendo went back to its manufacturing line just to fix the De synch issue which in my eyes is a good action to take. So i think since their manufacturing line has been revamped we may see less hardware related issues or no more at all. Nintendo Revamping their manufacturing line COULD explain why they are taking soooooooooooooooooo long to restock more allotments to retailers

Last edited by Abu_Senpai, Apr 24, 2017
  6. sorabora

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    I believe it may finally be up to expectations. I'll take some updated pics tomorrow but, for the first time, I don't think I'd return this unit to Amazon if they had stock. It's been just over 3 weeks now, fwiw.

7. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    If you do buy one now I would send in the left Joy-Con to Nintendo so they can fit a small square of foam on the internal antenna.

Also apply some microfiber cloth to the inner edge of the dock to prevent scratching.

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    No real issue, but sure the left Joy-Con could work a better reception.

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    no hardware issues i did have zelda freeze once or twice when i clicked it to start though. had to do a hard reset

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Apr 24, 2017
    Magical Sheep likes this.
  10. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    I have a few gripes with the left joycon with the occasional lag and desync other than that my switch is perfect. I eventually will contact ninty.

11. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    My Switch froze once and I was really worried it had bricked itself but thankfully, the guys here at GBATemp told me to hold the power I/O for 10secs and it fixed it. Phew.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  12. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    mine is fine, but sad that i do not use it so often.
    mayhap MK8Deluxe will change that.

oops, now that you mentioned it.
    i as well have experienced the very same issue that you had.

it froze once on me , i think it was in some menu (not in game) and i just had to hard shut it down.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Same. I was on the internet settings menu and then it froze.

14. isanchez

isanchez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2016
    United States
    My joycons got wiggly after a while but I got a free repair from nintendo and it took less than a week, and I got a pro controller so I didn't miss the joycons much, overall I'm really happy with my nintendo switch.:yayswitch:

15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    True, my XB1S froze on me three or four times and I had to hard reset it.
    Also WiFi has this tendency to crash and stop showing networks, nothing a hard reset couldn't fix!

PS: happens in the best families

16. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The backlight in my Switch died 3 days after using it, which makes it completely useless outside the dock.

KiiWii likes this.
  17. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Just don't let it sit for a week on no charge, then forget and turn it on. It does noooot like the battery being completely dispelled. it messes with the sensor. I'm trying to retrain the battery now, but my "100%" charged battery drops a percent every second. which is better than 3% every second, but I've got a lot of work to do and I hope it actually works. It's a work in progress.

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 24, 2017
  18. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    Nintendo Europe, or at least in the Iberian peninsula, doesn't work like that.

Just got back both my joycons from nintendo repair center cause they disconnect like crazy, and behold, i am greeted with a letter saying that the problem wasn't detected and so they did nothing and just sent it back to me unfixed... i just tried them and in seconds i reproduced the disconnect issue... what a joke!
    And mine also wiggle a bit, but i am not expecting any fix from nintendo... and i can't even call them now to shout at their incompetence cause is 10p.m. and they stop answering the phone at 1:30p.m., plus, when sending email to them to complain they simply answer back saying to call them.
    Not to mention that my switch is warped, but that i am sure they would say i sat on it or something...
    Will see if i have time to call them tomorrow and complain.

Btw, anybody from Europe, particularly Portugal or Spain, got their joycons fixed by nintendo?

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  19. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I've had no problems, I haven't even gotten any scratches on the screen from the dock and I've had mine since the Switch launched and never used a screen protector

20. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    My joycon desynced sometimes but I sent it in and it's great now.