Hardware I have even more reason to hate Comcast, possible ISP throttling

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my parents recently installed home security to save on their bill after we got rid of the landline (which we never used), and as a result, the techs swapped out our old router with a new one. Well, technically, it's a new modem with the home security router attached to it. Not sure why it's not an all-on-one unit, but that's not the issue I'm getting, rather, we kept the same SSID, password, etc and it all configured fine, but there is one major issue that's really pissing me off. See, we have the Blast! package, which is 250 mbps, and before we got this upgrade, I was getting 105-110 mbps on average over a 5 GHz band, and now? Still 5 GHz, but only getting 54 mbps, despite using the same channel, band, USB WiFi, etc, and it's like we're getting throttled. Apparently, the router combined both 2.4 and 5 GHz in the same SSID, with no way to change networks, it's apparently dynamic and "changes according to the best settings" or some half-assed thing. Why should that determine what band to use? Why can't I choose the band it uses and the channel and get the 100 mbps we used to get?

So I'm at an impasse, it's either this, or I somehow miraculously hook up an Ethernet cable from the room where the router is up to my bedroom. Well, that's a problem, because I'm on the upper floor, and the router is approx. six or so meters away from where I am in the room below. The last router was in that same room and gave us the faster speeds, but now, it feels like as customers, we're getting gypped, and there is no technical reason for this to happen, if the router/modem are the newest model from Comcast, and if the WiFi adapter hasn't changed. It's not a limitation of my adapter, as it supports up to gigabit speeds, that I know. I don't know what to do, I've tried Ethernet over powerline, and that was a waste of time, my house was built in 1979 and the electric work isn't top notch, I got serious degradation with that too, only getting 50 mbps over that. What's also weird, is the day they installed all this, I did get 100 mbps initially, but now, I can't. AFAIK, they haven't downgraded our speed (nor should they), what are my solutions, I'm just..trying to figure out what can be done about this.

:hateit:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
"changes according to the best settings"

My router has this same setting, however, I was able to disable it via its menu. Since you set up the SSID for it I'm assuming you know how to get into its settings and take a look at it?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"changes according to the best settings"

My router has this same setting, however, I was able to disable it via its menu. Since you set up the SSID for it I'm assuming you know how to get into its settings and take a look at it?

Yes, I know how to, but the problem is I don't know what exactly to look for, and I don't want to change something that will screw up the entire network. I'd have to show a screenshot.

Edit: Here's what I see under the WiFi settings, two networks, same names, but 2.4 and 5 GHz, now, when I go into each one, I see the option to disable/enable them:

GHWqZgX.png

Couldn't I force-disable 2.4 and only have the 5 GHz network available?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can have the ssids different from each other. Example, home and home5. Keep the same password though.

Yeah, finally configured it to be that way, no idea why it was set up to have both bands' SSIDs to be set up with the same name. As a result, my WiFi adapter freaked out and always switched between the 2.4 and 5 GHz modes. Now that I'm exclusively using 5 GHz, this is the result I get

7736353878.png

Much better than when it was first set up.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Comcast’s stuff is an utter pain to set up, but you can do it. I have Home1234-1 and Home1234-5 to represent the two different bands.

I’d recommend getting your own router, at some point, however.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Comcast’s stuff is an utter pain to set up, but you can do it. I have Home1234-1 and Home1234-5 to represent the two different bands.

I’d recommend getting your own router, at some point, however.

Yeah, I'll definitely look into getting a new router at some point, as for now, I managed to get it to where it's back to where it was, no idea why both SSIDs shared the same name

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pay $40 (or around that much) a year for a VPN through PIA. not only can I download torrents without prying eyes watching what im doing, but my ISP no longer throttles my connection because they have no idea what im downloading, or streaming. between my wife and I we have a ton of connected devices. 11 computers, a Plex server in the basement that I allow friends and family remotely access, 4 TVs that stream sling TV, Hulu, Amazon prime, Youtube, etc, tablets, phones, and way to many game systems to list. after we dumped comcrap for consolidated communications fiber optic things got better, but we found out we were still being throttled. Then we got PIA (private Internet Access) all that shit stopped. Plus PIA has a server side ad blocking. Im sure there are also a lot of other great VPN services too. $40 a year is kinda average for a VPN. most allow you to run it on 5 or 6 devices at once. yes you can set it up to run on the router so all devices connected to it would be using it, but for us that doesn't work. sometimes you dont want to use it. like when you are using netflix. they wont let you stream when using a vpn. anyways, thats my thoughts and experience on the subject.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pay $40 (or around that much) a year for a VPN through PIA. not only can I download torrents without prying eyes watching what im doing, but my ISP no longer throttles my connection because they have no idea what im downloading, or streaming. between my wife and I we have a ton of connected devices. 11 computers, a Plex server in the basement that I allow friends and family remotely access, 4 TVs that stream sling TV, Hulu, Amazon prime, Youtube, etc, tablets, phones, and way to many game systems to list. after we dumped comcrap for consolidated communications fiber optic things got better, but we found out we were still being throttled. Then we got PIA (private Internet Access) all that shit stopped. Plus PIA has a server side ad blocking. Im sure there are also a lot of other great VPN services too. $40 a year is kinda average for a VPN. most allow you to run it on 5 or 6 devices at once. yes you can set it up to run on the router so all devices connected to it would be using it, but for us that doesn't work. sometimes you dont want to use it. like when you are using netflix. they wont let you stream when using a vpn. anyways, thats my thoughts and experience on the subject.

Luckily, it hasn't gotten to the point on where I need to resort to VPNs, and Comcast does have an "unlimited" data plan but costs an extra 50 dollars on top of the internet cost. Otherwise, the cap is 1 TB a month, supposedly. Right now, it's surprisingly stable (much to my shock) on 5 GHz, I'll keep monitoring it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I keep my home network with the same SSID name to allow it to use whichever is stronger between 2.4 and 5Ghz range. If you’re close to the AP, you get the fast 5Ghz connection. If you’re further away, it automatically shifts you to the more stable 2.4Ghz range. It’s seemless compared to having the end device constantly flicking between two different SSIDs as it has to renegotiate the connection as it thinks they’re two different networks.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A while back my router got messed up so started just using the comcast gateway's built in router. whenever someone would connect to the 5ghz connection it would slow the f out of my 2.4 connection and cause drops and such. Eventually I just disabled the 5ghz one on the gateway, and things have been fine since.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: