Hacking I have been away for a while, I have some doubts

ROYGES

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I had costume firmware in the past on my switch, My daughter "accidentally" updated and since wanted to play Smash online I decided to not hack it again, Today I bought another Switch and it happens to be an unpatched one on 4.1.0. my doubt now is Is it important to "keep" the 4.1.0 firmware like it was adviced in the past? any advantage to keeping it? the other one is, Say I hack the new one (4.1.0 firmware) instead of the old one (8.0.1) Am I still risking myself to getting banned since I already hacked and played online on? I have been playing online on this one since November every day. is 8.0.1 hackable?

monokin1114

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every version is hackable on a switch which is hackable. The only real reason to not update would be if you wanted cold boot in the future

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Potential coldboot in the future, no real given benefits at this moment. From what I remember. You can update without burning fuses if you source the update files elsewhere online and use a Homebrew program to do the update (forgot its name but it can be found here and used directly on the switch https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/) What this means is if it ever becomes possible to coldboot you can downgrade if the fuses aren't burnt, which is prevented when loading Atmosphere anyways.

monokin1114

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe it is guarenteed on older firmwares. But do not quote me on that. Ive been away from the scene for a month

ROYGES

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Potential coldboot in the future, no real given benefits at this moment. From what I remember. You can update without burning fuses if you source the update files elsewhere online and use a Homebrew program to do the update (forgot its name but it can be found here and used directly on the switch https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/) What this means is if it ever becomes possible to coldboot you can downgrade if the fuses aren't burnt, which is prevented when loading Atmosphere anyways.

Is there a reason that this "Cold boot" will ever happen?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe it is guarenteed on older firmwares. But do not quote me on that. Ive been away from the scene for a month

yeah, One feels lost! I have been gone for like 6 months. and I think they have been talking about that cold boot since back then.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a reason that this "Cold boot" will ever happen?

All I've heard is that it may potentially be possible eventually (meaning a long time from now). Like Monokin I've been out the scene for quite a while though but you have nothing to lose using the tool from the URL given above to update. I would just make sure you have a backup of the 4.1.0 raw nand because I'm not sure how you would downgrade other than by restoring that if you ever wanted to. You can basically be on the most recent version (check if there's a new version thats unsupported first I've not checked on if any new unsupported ones were released recently) and still be able to benefit that way if it comes in the future.

ROYGES

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I've heard is that it may potentially be possible eventually (meaning a long time from now). Like Monokin I've been out the scene for quite a while though but you have nothing to lose using the tool from the URL given above to update. I would just make sure you have a backup of the 4.1.0 raw nand because I'm not sure how you would downgrade other than by restoring that if you ever wanted to. You can basically be on the most recent version (check if there's a new version thats unsupported first I've not checked on if any new unsupported ones were released recently) and still be able to benefit that way if it comes in the future.

My biggest concern is that; hacking the 4.1.0 new console I am taking a risk by keeping the "tainted" one for online play. I guess that would be a lottery, i honestly don't think it will ever get banned but we never know.

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the 4.1.0 Switch, if you create a backup (which you should always always do!) and then enable AutoRCM and always boot CFW after that, then no fuses will ever be burnt. Be sure to update the OFW using ChoiDujourNX.

Then if a coldboot exploit comes out at a future date that happens to require 4.1.0 OFW for some reason, you can simply disable autoRCM, then restore the 4.1.0 OFW backup, and you will get the be golden to run the hypothetical coldboot exploit.

In other words, there is no reason not to update, just be sure to create a backup of the 4.1.0 OFW using Hekate prior to running any CFW.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

ROYGES

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the 4.1.0 Switch, if you create a backup (which you should always always do!) and then enable AutoRCM and always boot CFW after that, then no fuses will ever be burnt. Be sure to update the OFW using ChoiDujourNX.

Then if a coldboot exploit comes out at a future date that happens to require 4.1.0 OFW for some reason, you can simply disable autoRCM, then restore the 4.1.0 OFW backup, and you will get the be golden to run the hypothetical cold boot exploit.

In other words, there is no reason not to update, just be sure to create a backup of the 4.1.0 OFW using Hekate prior to running any CFW.

Thanks for replying, I know this, I used to have my console hacked with the whole procedure (backups and everything) but What I want to know is, is there a consensus on the how likely that old console is to get banned? This is my point I have to consoles a new one and an old one (4.1.0 and 8.0.1) the old one was hacked for a while then accidentally updated, my logic is the safest thing is to hack the old console since it is already "soiled" and keep the new one for online porpuses. going the other way around (hacking the new 4.1.0) would be having a slight risk? I guess I'll go with hacking the new one since I doubt the old one will ever get banned.

Last edited by ROYGES,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ian095 @monokin1114 untethered coldboot is theoretically possible on 3.0.1 and below if a sysmodule savegame exploit is found (though the likelyness of this ever happening is almost 0%). Anything above 3.0.1 it is impossible and will never happen (unless Nvidia somehow makes a huge fuckup in Mariko)

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Coldboot is actually pretty far away in my opinion.

Warmboot is currently working from firmware 1 to 3, definitely progress being made.

Just on your AutoRCM and upgrade via chionx, there is no reason to update officially anyway LOL

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my point I have to consoles a new one and an old one (4.1.0 and 8.0.1) the old one was hacked for a while then accidentally updated, my logic is the safest thing is to hack the old console since it is already "soiled" and keep the new one for online porpuses.
Yes, this makes a lot of sense. I thought you wanted 2 CFW consoles, but an online safe one makes a lot of sense.

If trying to do online, you can also invest in SXOS CFW ($30). SXOS's can run games via XCI (not NSP) and has a stealth mode which is more effective than having to install games (.nsp) unlike with Atmosphere/ReiNX at avoiding being banned. While not guaranteed, avoiding a ban for a few extra months might be worth the $30 to, if nothing else at least temporarily, have 2 switch consoles usable online.

Edit: typos

ROYGES

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll hack the new console 4.1.0, now I just need a complete guide. for nand back ups, updating and everything

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Emunand may be around the corner, which might open up the possibility of combining a clean system for online with an unclean one for piracy on one console. coldboot is further away and you might not care enough to wait that long.

If you haven't been banned since November, that Console is probably save. Though to be fair, there haven't been great ban waves in a while, so maybe, unlikely but maybe, they're really still co) ecting offenders to do it all at once. There are no 100%s in this.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I had costume firmware in the past on my switch, My daughter "accidentally" updated and since wanted to play Smash online I decided to not hack it again, Today I bought another Switch and it happens to be an unpatched one on 4.1.0. my doubt now is Is it important to "keep" the 4.1.0 firmware like it was adviced in the past? any advantage to keeping it? the other one is, Say I hack the new one (4.1.0 firmware) instead of the old one (8.0.1) Am I still risking myself to getting banned since I already hacked and played online on? I have been playing online on this one since November every day. is 8.0.1 hackable?

Here's my question: what do you plan on using the hacked Switch for? I'm in a similar boat, except I haven't played online at all (yet, and I might never), and I never, EVER hacked my main Switch. Yes, I got a used Switch tablet, some more Joy-Cons and controllers for Smash because holidays were coming up (and honestly, because I like having multiple options for the color schemes), and got a second Switch because there was no emuNAND at the time, and it sounded like Nintendo was a LOT more banhammer happy than every one of their previous systems, be they consoles or handhelds. You got yourself in a good position, and unless if the Switch your daughter accidentally updated is mainly used by her, you could have a clean Switch and a dirty Switch, the latter taking the ban while the former can be used for online gameplay, easy updating, and native Switch game compatibility as opposed to the many, MANY ways the Switch can be hacked, CFW packages, OSes that can be run (Lakka now has sound, Ubuntu is now a thing, I'd recommend looking up the L4T Noob thread if you're a noob to Linux or if, like yours truly, you've dabbled with Linux, but never really made it your main OS and don't have time to necessarily learn all the nitty gritty atm, if ever), and homebrew that can be played.

If you're anything like I and want the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE AND POWAH THAT NINTENDO FORBIDS YOU FROM USING WITH THEIR NATIVE OS, then I'd use L4T right now, though a certain Reddit post that I saw on r/SwitchHaxing did mention something about Android with GPU drivers coming soon, so that may be more your thing. I'd have a M/KB for the initial setup of Ubuntu via L4T to be able to set everything up right now. After confirming everything as working, you should be able to fix some of the weirdness with the default button maps for things to run smoothly without sudden hiccups and WTF moments that come from the weird obtuseness of the default controls that come with the noob build of L4T utilizing the Ubuntu distro of Linux. It personally is the best solution out there right now IMO, but as all things Switch homebrew are (especially given how young the Switch is), everything is a WIP, and we may get a better functioning version of Reicast for Horizon (the Switch OS name as dubbed by the community here and on r/SwitchHaxing). Yes, GC via Dolphin can be run on the emulator to an impressive extent to where I actually could play through Soul Calibur 2's Arcade Mode just fine and Melee at a very smooth, almost full speed as long as it was 1-on-1 on Hyrule Temple, but as Modern Vintage Gamer (a Youtuber who's made a lot of homebrew for the OG Xbox and some for the Switch), pointed out in his Nvidia Shield TV review (the hardware uses very similar hardware to the Switch, except the Switch has an additional GB of RAM), the Switch being designed to accomodate portability needs and account for a battery means that some things that'd run just fine on a Shield TV may not run on a Switch, and that he doubts the viability of GC emulation on the device, let alone Wii for what it's worth. (I wish there were more Wii ports that took advantage of the better tracking of the Switch Joy-Cons, but I'm not a developer or publisher, so what do I know) It doesn't accept Joy-Cons in the rails right now though.

Otherwise, there's Lakka (or Lakka-Switch as natinusala, the homebrew solution's author, calls it out of respect for the original OS' dev team. I can distinguish the difference, but whatever) if you mainly use your Switch portably, because it doesn't do anything involving the USB-C port (that includes docking and support for wireless controllers) outside of charging, and in my experience, I don't think charging via this method even works very well. It's got similar compatibility to L4T Ubuntu, but no Dolphin, and everything revolves around RA.

Last, but most certainly not least, there's all of the homebrew made for Horizon, but there's a whole laundry list of reading that you're gonna want to do if you want to do everything from playing N64 via RA(with LOTS of stuttering in my experience, I might add, though it wouldn't surprise me if I'm doing something wrong), openBOR, ports of GZDoom, Half-Life 1, OpenLara, Reicast (which runs OK, but has a lot of graphical glitches) and other homebrew.

All of this isn't to discourage you by any means, but if you're not actively following this community and/or r/SwitchHaxing (avoid r/SwitchHacks, it isn't updated nearly as much as the former most of the time), there could be things that happen that could leave you far enough behind that you'll have to be reading about as much as this paragraph, if not more, in terms of information in configuring this or that, solving this problem that comes up, how to do this, etc..

Reactions: ROYGES

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Why am I always late to the party?