i have an old motherboard can i stick it in a case

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Dominator211, May 14, 2017.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    i have an old dell dimension 4300 motherboard and it has a metal back-plate of sorts attached to it i was wondering if i could take this metal piece off and stick the motherboard in a case to save money.

Attached Files:

2. YomRawr

YomRawr Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2017
    You can remove that mental piece

3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    how do i remove that piece

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Looks like it's rivited to the heatsink or something. You'll have to buy a new heatsink if that's the case because it won't stay on the CPU after you cut the rivets

Also, don't plan on buying a GPU because those PCI slots are a VERY old standard

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It has an AGP slot so he can get a graphics card for it, but they stopped making them ages ago.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Unless you plan on buying 16 year old parts for this "new" PC of yours you might as well toss that old motherboard.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  7. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    You better inspect those capacitors. It might be the image quality/angle, but it looks like the black one is bulging a little.

8. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    ok guys i was look and noticed somthing on all for sides of the motherbaord

Attached Files:

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    pci express is different than pci.. that board has agp and pci..
    a pci express card will not work in there

10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's what I meant, yes

11. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    That's the future pro hacker for you ^^V

Sorry mate but as some.others mentioned, even if this thing still works you would need some.very old stuff to make it into a complete working computer.

Just putting random stuff together won't do !
    Ever read any data sheets of different mainboards ? Usually there is stuff like socket type and ram type and so on.
    This thing probably uses SD Ram or worse ... Found some old stuff at work that had 12 MB ram build in a few month ago XD

If you don't have any money it would cheaper to get a raspberry pi instead of using this !
    A raspberry with everything included is usually sold for 30-50$

Last edited by Youkai, May 14, 2017
  12. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    it sounds like to me that your discouraging me which is fine and yes i have ram a psu and a usb card and amzon seems to have reather inexpanzie things

13. Kithron

Kithron Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2012
    United States
    No were telling you that finding most of these parts for this motherboard with an AGP slot is almost impossible, you are better off spending your time building a new computer with recent parts than old ones just to find out oh shit one may not even work correctly.

My personal advice is don't bother with it.

Last edited by Kithron, May 14, 2017
  14. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    You also have other problems, you have no north bridge heatsink. Also it uses proprietary power connectors like many older machines.

Last edited by Joe88, May 14, 2017
    Kithron likes this.
  15. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Well yeah sorry actually I was a tiny little bit "angry" if you want to call it that as my dream allways was to become the IT guy.
    I started with 6 years installing OS repairing / exchanging computer parts but I was not good enough in school and even though I was very interested it took me until I was finaly 26 years old ! until I could finaly step into the IT World (I just wrote my examination and hope I succeeded) so for me it is kind of offending if some kid says he wants to be a pro hacker and whatever who doesn't seem to really have done his homework.

But than again as I am usually a nice guy I gave you the hint to maybe get a Raspberry Pi which is really cheap and does everything you need ! probably much better than this old stuff you got there.

The Problem with IT is that it is not getting easyer to learn even though it is getting easyer to use !
    Nowadays its all just plug and play ... I have 3 trainees here for 2 weeks each and damn they were like "I use a phone and play games now I want to get into IT" oO
    These guys didn't even know what a Bios is, I hid some Icons on the Laptop of one guy and he was close to start to scream as he thought I would have deleted all his data ...

People beeing that carefree make me slightly angry as for it was very hard and I could not be carefree at all.

16. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    The backplate is needed to support the CPU heatsink. To remove it would damage the MB over time (weight + heat = not good for PCB). If you would bother bringing an ancient POS to life, then why use a case at all? have fun with it. Use a fish tank and submerge the whole thing in vegetable oil. You won't have to worry about heat sinks at all then...

17. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    oh crap man im sorry really i am i didnt mean to sound niave or anything im really am sorry i am young and im still learning

18. britain4

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Wow I remember those. Wouldn't be worth putting any time or money into I'm afraid, complete working old PCs are everywhere for free/cheap. I have a complete unused PC and monitor brand new in the box from around 2001 in the attic, someone gave it me because they couldn't sell it. I've got about 3 more in the garage given to me by family/friends over the years and another I took from a skip.