PS1/2 I have an active HDMI upscaler cable (same chip as mcable) and want to feed 480p from my PS2 to it

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So recently I've bought a Sagemcom UP200 HDMI upscaler cable with Anti Aliasing (it utilizes the same chipset as the mcable) mostly for my PSTV. Got it cheap from Ebay, so I thought to myself why not. The results were very impressing (made a whole topic about it in the Vita forum here). Now I'm considering to use it with my modded (matrix infinity) PS2 Slim. What are my best options here?

1. Is it possbile to use the progressive and widescreen patches used for the PCSX2? I used this guide to get it working with my PS4, so it seems to work with official Sony hardware (I know the difference between the PS2 and PS4).

2. There are PS2 to HDMI cables on Ebay. Do they output 480p to the HDMI out? Or only if the game is progressive patched? Do they tap into the PS2's component connector or RGB? Can they work with widescreen patched games? Do they even understand the 16:9 ratio?

Is this the best way to get my PS2 games onto my 42" 1080p TV or should I just keep using my PS4? I was just considering this since Vita games on my PSTV run in 544p upscaled to 720p by the PSTV and they look really good with the active upscaler cable in 1080p. So would 480p signals from PS2 games (of course I'll progressive and widescreen patch the isos beforehand) look similarly good if used by the upscaler cable?

Last edited by moonblood666,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If the patches do something that's actually possible on real hardware (most "widescreen patches" are just changing camera angles), sure (in fact I think some of the newest versions of OPL, not sure if the original by psx-place or the "Daily Builds" by ps2-home, wanted to have them as a built-in database? or so I heard; else you can use them as cheats or prepatched games)

The "advanced" video output (YPbPr or RGB) on PS2/PS3 is the same, and they are selected in software; dunno about what those cheapo upscalers support

They probably require YPbPr mode since it stays the same regardless of resolution (unlike RGB which is separate sync in the interlaced standard definition modes, and sync on green at all other modes)

Analog video doesn't really have an aspect ratio (since you can fit theoretically infinite pixels in a line, up to the performance of each element in the chain) so the converter would not be able to know the current native resolution - it probably uses some generic average default

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the patches do something that's actually possible on real hardware (most "widescreen patches" are just changing camera angles), sure (in fact I think some of the newest versions of OPL, not sure if the original by psx-place or the "Daily Builds" by ps2-home, wanted to have them as a built-in database? or so I heard; else you can use them as cheats or prepatched games)

The "advanced" video output (YPbPr or RGB) on PS2/PS3 is the same, and they are selected in software; dunno about what those cheapo upscalers support

They probably require YPbPr mode since it stays the same regardless of resolution (unlike RGB which is separate sync in the interlaced standard definition modes, and sync on green at all other modes)

Analog video doesn't really have an aspect ratio (since you can fit theoretically infinite pixels in a line, up to the performance of each element in the chain) so the converter would not be able to know the current native resolution - it probably uses some generic average default

Well, what about progressive and widescreen patching each game and then using some component to HDMI converter and use the 480p output on my upscaler HDMI cable. Would that method work actually as long as I find the hacks?

I progressive and widescreen patched Persona 3 FES to run it on my PS4 and it works, but I wonder if my PS2+my upscaler cable can make it look better than the PS2 emulator+upscaler on the PS4. As I said the cable works wonders on my PSTV.

Last edited by moonblood666,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, what about progressive and widescreen patching each game and then using some component to HDMI converter and use the 480p output on my upscaler HDMI cable. Would that method work actually as long as I find the hacks?
As long as the video output is supported by your converter (you can force video modes with GSM, which is also built into some OPL versions, but compatibility is what it is) your plan should work
(certainly with some lag... hoping you're not going to play Everybody's Golf!)

As I said the cable works wonders on my PSTV.
Yeah, but that console outputs one of three well-standardized digital video modes, most of the difficulty never existed ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)