Hacking Question I have all the tools needed to hack my switch. Which cfw/tool/OS should i use?

which cfw/tool/OS should i use?

• SX OS

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • ReiNX

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • Wait for atmosphere

Votes: 25 24.8%

• Total voters

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, how are you doing?
Im about to hack my switch and right now i already have all the parts needed (Adata 128 gb micro sd and jig)
the only thing that has been bugging me for the past week is which cfw/tool/OS should i use?
I Could get SX OS licence for about 25 bucks, do you think is worth it for the price? i mean, i guess the drag and drop functionability (XCI) would help a lot with my card size, but are there more benefits for using this OS?
At first i was very excited for this option, but i read that people somehow are prefering NSP even though it is "riskier" (dont get me wrong, im already convinced i will get banned, eventually, regardless of the solution i use) and that gets my excitement down.
Is de SX OS worth the price or should i just install a CFW like ReiNX or wait for Atmosphere release, last days of august right??

Also, do you know if the card i bought has any problems with the switch?

Thanks a lot!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only advantages SX OS (and to an extent SX Pro) offer are .XCI loading and "ease of convenience" (quotations used for a subjective matter). All other CFWs can play backups via only .NSP format but there is a tool that can convert .XCI -> .NSP so technically you can play any Switch game on one of those (and they're free). The choice is yours to make.

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only advantages SX OS (and to an extent SX Pro) offer are .XCI loading and "ease of convenience" (quotations used for a subjective matter). All other CFWs can play backups via only .NSP format but there is a tool that can convert .XCI -> .NSP so technically you can play any Switch game on one of those (and they're free). The choice is yours to make.
Hi Draxzelex, you amaze me, you reply in almost every switch post i have seen, thanks for that.
Do you think XCI is safer like most people say? I know its something that nobody can answer with solid proof, so what is your belief about this topic?
Also, which OS/CFW/Solution do you use? Do you consider 128 gbs is enough for a switch?

Thanks a lot for your help brother!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Draxzelex, you amaze me, you reply in almost every switch post i have seen, thanks for that.
Do you think XCI is safer like most people say? I know its something that nobody can answer with solid proof, so what is your belief about this topic?
Also, which OS/CFW/Solution do you use? Do you consider 128 gbs is enough for a switch?

Thanks a lot for your help brother!
If you are using the .XCI strictly offline, it is about as safe as using a .NSP offline so its down to quality of life rather than ban-risk. I would personally not take any pirated game online, even for a game update, and we have the tools to do pretty much everything offline apart from online play. Right now, the 2 most popular CFWs people use for free backup launching is RajNX and ReiNX so the choice is really up to you (although the former comes with some anti-ban tools). As for your SD card, some Switch games are as large as 20 GB but I would also check to make sure it is not fake as numerous people have reported fake SD cards despite buying from trustworthy resellers.

Reactions: Roxasorg13

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128GB is going to get you a lot of games, and even some big ones like xenoblade and monster hunter. It also has the best price point per GB right now. One can also set up 2 SD cards with CFW and switch them out for more space economically.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
128GB is more than enough really. One thing that i do advise you is watch some videos to learn how to distinguish a real SD card from a faked one. It's going to save you A LOT of trouble

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
The easiest to use CFW i heard is RajNX but I'm using ReiNX and it's pretty straightforward.
Once you inject a payload once or twice, it will be very easy to use any other payload. Go with ReiNX (my own biased opinion).
128GB Samsung Evo+ is what i use, and it's pretty quick, good price, and i have around 30 games on here now and I almost don't have time to play. lol

EDIT:
Once you have Hekate Running in RCM mode, BACK UP EVERYTHING AND MOVE ALL THE BACKUPS INTO YOUR PC!

Last edited by altorn,

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The easiest to use CFW i heard is RajNX but I'm using ReiNX and it's pretty straightforward.
Once you inject a payload once or twice, it will be very easy to use any other payload. Go with ReiNX (my own biased opinion).
128GB Samsung Evo+ is what i use, and it's pretty quick, good price, and i have around 30 games on here now and I almost don't have time to play. lol

EDIT:
Once you have Hekate Running in RCM mode, BACK UP EVERYTHING AND MOVE ALL THE BACKUPS INTO YOUR PC!

Both RajNX and ReiNX are very straightforward, i honestly can't tell what is the actual difference between them

And yes like altron said, before you do anything you neeed to back up your NAND

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow guys really no one told him to backup first :ohnoes:

Backup your switch before you do anything jeeeeeeessssuuuuuusss

Backup guide here > Link

Yes, definitely backup first before doing anything. I would recommend making a backup and keeping your Switch in Airplane Mode until EmuNand is released (probably in a later version of Atmosphere). Go ahead and do whatever mods you want while leaving your Switch in Airplane Mode. Once EmuNand is released, get a second SD card for it. Use Checkpoint or EdiZon, backup all your saves that you care about. Delete the Nintendo folder from your microSD. Restore your previous backup. You now have your stock system back, and you can go online with no fear of a ban.

Then you can set up all your mods in EmuNand, and keep your Switch in Airplane Mode while using EmuNand. Always use your second microSD card with emuNand, and your first microSD card for stock. You will then have a "stock" Switch that you can play all your legit games online with, with no fear of a ban, and be able to boot EmuNand when you want to play with homebrew and CFW.

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
128GB is more than enough really. One thing that i do advise you is watch some videos to learn how to distinguish a real SD card from a faked one. It's going to save you A LOT of trouble
I already bought the micro sd card, i went to a physical store near mi house (pretty reknown store here in mexico) but i will still check and test the card using software and physical cues.
Thanks a lot for the tip!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT:
That will be the very first thing i will do brother! thanks for the heads up!
I think i will try ReiNX first and when i get enough practice i will make the decision to migrate to SX OS for "easier use" or stay on Free CFW, i appreciate your help a lot!

Wow guys really no one told him to backup first :ohnoes:

Backup your switch before you do anything jeeeeeeessssuuuuuusss

Backup guide here > Link
That was exactly what i was looking for Canna, thanks a lot!!!!

Both RajNX and ReiNX are very straightforward, i honestly can't tell what is the actual difference between them

And yes like altron said, before you do anything you neeed to back up your NAND

I read that RajNX has some anti ban tools, but i also read that it has a brick code, i dont know if the last is true, do you have any information on this topic?

Yes, definitely backup first before doing anything. I would recommend making a backup and keeping your Switch in Airplane Mode until EmuNand is released (probably in a later version of Atmosphere). Go ahead and do whatever mods you want while leaving your Switch in Airplane Mode. Once EmuNand is released, get a second SD card for it. Use Checkpoint or EdiZon, backup all your saves that you care about. Delete the Nintendo folder from your microSD. Restore your previous backup. You now have your stock system back, and you can go online with no fear of a ban.

Then you can set up all your mods in EmuNand, and keep your Switch in Airplane Mode while using EmuNand. Always use your second microSD card with emuNand, and your first microSD card for stock. You will then have a "stock" Switch that you can play all your legit games online with, with no fear of a ban, and be able to boot EmuNand when you want to play with homebrew and CFW.

I dont really think i will make trough a couple of months without being banned (even if i take all the safety meassures available) but one never knows, i will do these steps and hopefuly i can have a cfw/legit switch in the near future. Thanks a lot for your help!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that RajNX has some anti ban tools, but i also read that it has a brick code, i dont know if the last is true, do you have any information on this topic?
This is a now proven false statement as one prominent user reported a brick after using RajNX. But upon further investigation said user discovered it was not the fault of the CFW but rather a faulty outlet. Although RajNX is still closed-source, there is a very low chance it actually contains brick code.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really think i will make trough a couple of months without being banned (even if i take all the safety meassures available) but one never knows, i will do these steps and hopefuly i can have a cfw/legit switch in the near future. Thanks a lot for your help!

It's really not that hard. Just make a backup beforehand, and keep your Switch in Airplane Mode until EmuNand support comes out. I have been going through a cycle of making NAND backups and restoring them to be able to play legit games online while avoiding bans when using ReiNX. It's a bit of a pain, but as far as I can tell Nintendo has no idea what I've been doing, and I still have not banned!

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Your welcome Cant believe no one mentioned it sooner haha
A few more questions, they may be dumb doe
How long is the backup process?
If i enter RCM mode can i disconnect the USB Cable from my pc?
Can you do this process while charging your switch?

This is a now proven false statement as one prominent user reported a brick after using RajNX. But upon further investigation said user discovered it was not the fault of the CFW but rather a faulty outlet. Although RajNX is still closed-source, there is a very low chance it actually contains brick code.
Thats good to hear, would you recommend me to use RajNX instead of RaiNX?

It's really not that hard. Just make a backup beforehand, and keep your Switch in Airplane Mode until EmuNand support comes out. I have been going through a cycle of making NAND backups and restoring them to be able to play legit games online while avoiding bans when using ReiNX. It's a bit of a pain, but as far as I can tell Nintendo has no idea what I've been doing, and I still have not banned!
Im just a few hours away from doing the whole process, wish me luckl!

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will take its time. just wait it out ,,,
Yep leave her plugged in she will be fine

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1)It will take a while since the NAND are big files
2)After you enter RCM you can disconnect the usb cable from your PC. The USB connection is used just for the payload delivery i believe(Can someone confirm this for me?)
3)Not only CAN you do it while charging your Switch, you SHOULD do it while charging, just to prevent the system from running out of battery mid backup

Reactions: thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1