Hacking I have a good Idea on how to use GC Games on USB Loader

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
My Idea:

Modify GCOS (I Think that's what it's called) to not disable USB, and add GCOS, (c?)MIOS, and the GC ISO in one Wii ISO, and make a program (main.dol) that would load GCOS, cMIOS, and the ISO in proper sequence. (somewhat similar to WiiGator's GameCube Loader)

Just an idea, but I think it might work...

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
My Idea:

Modify GCOS (I Think that's what it's called) to not disable USB, and add GCOS, (c?)MIOS, and the GC ISO in one Wii ISO, and make a program (main.dol) that would load GCOS, cMIOS, and the ISO in proper sequence. (somewhat similar to WiiGator's GameCube Loader)

Just an idea, but I think it should work...
What the Wii USB loader does is tells the game itself to load from USB. These games already have USB support built into their core. For this to work, EVERY GC GAME YOU WANT TO USE would need patched, in addition to what you've already said. And this would not easily be accomplished.

If you must have USB support for GC games, buy a Wode Jukebox.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
So, do you understand how the Wii works?

Yes, actually... I do... I am just stating an idea that may lead to something

Covarr said:
QUOTE(jceggbert5 @ Nov 14 2009, 09:33 PM) My Idea:

Just an idea, but I think it should work...
What the Wii USB loader does is tells the game itself to load from USB. These games already have USB support built into their core. For this to work, EVERY GC GAME YOU WANT TO USE would need patched, in addition to what you've already said. And this would not easily be accomplished.

If you must have USB support for GC games, buy a Wode Jukebox.

That's why I said to modify GCOS, because GCOS is what disables 2/3 of the wii from GC Access.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
... These games already have USB support built into their core....
what? where in ANY Wii ISO is there USB support? what part of the ISO is the "core" with the USB?

i was under the impression that the cIOS did all this through the DIP, ECH, etc.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
Covarr said:
... These games already have USB support built into their core....
what? where in ANY Wii ISO is there USB support? what part of the ISO is the "core" with the USB?

i was under the impression that the cIOS did all this through the DIP, ECH, etc.

Actually, All WiFi games support USB (USB Network Dongle thingy...) And, a select few others (although, I believe most of them are WiFi also) use devices like Guitars/Drums/Microphones or stuff like WiiSpeak, etc.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is the IOS that supports the USB. the game just makes calls and receives data from the IOS for and USB stuff. there is no code in any game i know of to mount/open a USB connection to the wii hardware. all of it has to go through the IOS.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
that is the IOS that supports the USB. the game just makes calls and receives data from the IOS for and USB stuff. there is no code in any game i know of to mount/open a USB connection to the wii hardware. all of it has to go through the IOS.

In saying that, does that mean that when cIOS uses the ISO image from the WBFS drive to make a Virtual DVD Drive, does the game make calls to the drive or does cIOS????

Rfrf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
giantpune said:

In saying that, does that mean that when cIOS uses the ISO image from the WBFS drive to make a Virtual DVD Drive, does the game make calls to the drive or does cIOS????

Wii != your computer

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:

It is obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about, and have just been promoted to that long list of people on my ignore list. i strongly encourage others to do the same as there is no way anybody could ever learn anything useful from you.

screenshotjceggbert5vie.png

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
As he's saying, it makes a call to IOS. No offense, but if you knew as much as you're trying to make me think you do (apparently?) you would know this already. Starlet controls much of the input and output in regular Wii games, and IOS is what loads on Starlet, the software that runs it (Starlet's operating system if you will). Well, we don't know the true name of Starlet, but that's what Team Twiizers calls it, and it's a good name given that it's a part of Hollywood, the Wii's GPU.

Anyway, you might want to start researching here on Wiibrew.

*edit*
Oh, and for the record...when you're saying GCOS, I think that you really mean MIOS.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jceggbert5 said:
giantpune said:

Virtual DVD drive? Uhh, I don't think that's how it works.

jceggbert5

OP
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
jceggbert5 said:
As he's saying, it makes a call to IOS. No offense, but if you knew as much as you're trying to make me think you do (apparently?) you would know this already. Starlet controls much of the input and output in regular Wii games, and IOS is what loads on Starlet, the software that runs it (Starlet's operating system if you will). Well, we don't know the true name of Starlet, but that's what Team Twiizers calls it, and it's a good name given that it's a part of Hollywood, the Wii's GPU.

Anyway, you might want to start researching here on Wiibrew.

*edit*
Oh, and for the record...when you're saying GCOS, I think that you really mean MIOS.

There is a piece of software that loads MIOS, I think it's called GCOS. GCOS disables most of the wii from GameCube access, then loads MIOS, which I believe is the IOS that can run in "GameCube Mode" to load the GameCube game from the Disc Drive - thus emulating the GameCube's Disc Drive - because they are different hardware.

From what I understand it, the Disc Channel calls GCOS to put the Wii in GameCube Mode, which loads MIOS, which loads the game. If GCOS can be modified to not disable USB completely, a custom MIOS should then be able to load a GameCube ISO from an external HDD.

And for my record, I'm not trying to make you think I know alot, I just know some. I know the general workings, and that's about it. I am probably still in a very low class, but I do have some knowledge, enough to at least un-brick a few people.

FenrirWolf said:
jceggbert5 said:
QUOTE(giantpune @ Nov 15 2009, 01:21 AM)

Virtual DVD drive? Uhh, I don't think that's how it works.

When the game calls for the DVD drive (to read data for the game), cIOS directs it to the USB Drive instead, Right? I see that as a Virtual DVD Drive.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of that as far as Gamecube mode goes, but I don't think it's GCOS...that's the same name as Emu Kidid's homebrew software that allows for things like multi-game Gamecube discs, so I think you're getting confused somewhere.

*edit*
Actually, it might be BC you are thinking of, though no one knows for sure actually. I thought about it, and remembered reading this HackMii post here. If Bushing and Co don't know exactly, it's probably true that no one knows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol