I have a bunch of electronic mainboards.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sterling, Jun 28, 2011.

Jun 28, 2011
  1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I need some advice. My father got a whole bunch of electronic components at a liquidation site for about 25 dollars. There are many TV repair parts and possibly a few graphic cards and RAM modules. I need to know if anyone knows a good site to post it up and see if people need these parts. If need be, I'll list the parts and stuff.

2. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    You've got access to the trading forum.
    Why not post them here?

3. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    maybe you can move this? i'm not sure... also quick question i can't post at those fourms casue of my warning level right?

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  5. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Umm, many of them aren't listed. I checked there first. [​IMG] Thanks for playing though. [​IMG]

6. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Why not post some picks of the stuff you're not sure about?

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The fact that none are currently being sold doesn't necessarily imply an absence of demand.

If someone needs said part, and your'e the only seller, you've likely locked the deal.

8. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Oh, I see. I misunderstood. I thought you were being smart heh. When you put it that way, I'll be listing them tomorrow. There are like 3 boxes of boards and another box of pretty much factory sealed components. These things are absolute gold to bid on most times. The last dud we did was a whole bunch of shit printers. All the others though we found TVs in perfect working condition. A 1500 dollar radar detector. Some GPSs (a few Magellans and some garmins). Then these spare parts. Many of these items are returned stuff. Many times they don't end up back on the shop floor. The shops then "Liquidate" them and they go to the highest bidder.

The most expensive board that I've found in the box so far was worth over 400 dollars. I'll be planning on selling these things for around 50% to 75% off the listing prices at various shops.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah when you search on ebay by default it only brings up ones that haven't been sold yet. So to the opposite of what most people think... if you don't see a product there it may mean that it's in high demand (because all of them sold), and if you see a ton there there's often low demand (because everybody and their grandmother wants them).

Anyways, why not list some parts here?

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Some things worth knowing going into this

Chances are there are 4 main reasons for people wanting electronics spares

Actual repair- interesting thing I saw the other month looking for replacement laptop screens. Hp..... screen some $70, HP internal parts number some $60, part number off the screen itself some $50.
    If you are selling as replacements though do remember companies have a nasty habit of replacing internal components without so much as an indicators (sub model number, batch number, manufactured date) on the outside so spare yourself the hassle of returns and if you can get some data then do so.

Repurposing- your TV spares probably include a few nice audio amplifier boards and decoders for various things as well as whatever the circuit bending crowd is doing these days. Likewise you mentioned printers and such their parts are often used for home build CNC and 3d printers.

Tweaking- I am counting this as something different to repurposing. Some of these devices might well feature big beefy FPGA devices and they have some serious brute force capability ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-T7Hv78kc being a nice overview).

The usual strip it for parts. Doubly so if the parts are rare (I will spare you a description of the hassle I have had trying to find a replacement for a discontinued audio amp chip I blew up the other week). Some even attempt it for the raw materials.

As much as I dislike ebay that does seem to be one of the main places and if you are so inclined there are places like http://www.gazelle.com/ and other electronics recyclers as well as trying your hand at selling on forums (as Rydian said try here as well, more than a few of us have more than a passing familiarity with a hot air station).

You mentioned GPS devices and the like- have a wander around your local car repair and if you are near enough marinas. Some older models are quite highly sought after and others are happy to have spares and pirate sacrificial stuff.

I have often considered getting into this game but there does not seem to be anything like it around here (the inner electronics enthusiast dreams of visiting a place like http://www.eevblog.com/2010/10/30/eevblog-...ex-electronics/ ).

11. Sterling
    OP

United States
    @FAST: My dad mentioned a few expensive amp replacement parts. So, if I see any, I'll let you know.

@Rydian: I'll be doing that as well.

12. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    you have a main board for a ge gold star 32" 2006 model. this was my back up after my lcd screen busted, an now i'm on my back up for that back up.lol.. i can give you the model number but need to go out to shed to check it. or link me to your ebay if you have one. so i can see, i do electronics.

13. Sterling
    OP

United States
    I'll see about it. I'm not sure what I have, but go ahead and PM the model number and I'll see if I can find one for you.