Hacking I have a bricked wii- Is this unbrickable?

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
First of all, When I turn on my Wii normally, this happens:
ybXXUFm.jpg

Isn't it cool? lol

and Here are some contexts:

1. This wii is korean wii, 4.3K.
  2. I modded this wii using ModMii.
  3. I bricked this by installing a 4.3J SysMenu wad without using a region changer - It happened 5 years ago, When I was really young and dumb af.
  4. BootMii is on IOS, but Priiloader is gone since I installed SysMenu again.
  5. I have a NAND backup, so I can recover it if I can somehow access BootMii.
  6. I can connect Wiimote to it, but sadly Bluebomb didn't do the trick. Fullmetal5 tried to help me but no luck.
  7. I have a modded GC controller so I can boot into SaveMiiFrii, and It says 4.3(KOR) Although I installed 4.3J Sysmenu, This is a bit odd.
  8. I have other Wii with DMS drive(Without modchip), so I tried to swap the disk drive to DMS one and boot autoboot patched Twilight Princess(Backup DVD / Korean one, and since I don't have modded savefile on my wii It was completely pointless lol) in Recovery Mode, and It showed me a 003 error.
  9. Just a side note: I would like to buy a modchip and attempt to fix it, but as I said in another thread, I can't purchase from foreign sellers unless they are selling in Ebay, so It doesn't seem like an option.
People in r/WiiHacks told me that It seems like 003 brick, but with corrupted screen because my Video hardware can't handle it due to different video mode(Japanese software uses NTSC-J while korean one uses normal NTSC, not sure If this is the case though).

Is there any chance I can recover this, or is purchasing a modchip(maybe I could borrow a CC from parents or friends and purchase it...) the only option?

Last edited by KokoseiJ,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The usual thing. No BootMii@boot2, no Priiloader (overwritten by System Menu installation) and even Bluebomb does not work.

I've no idea if and how SaveMiiFrii works.

5. I have a NAND backup, so I can recover it if I can somehow access BootMii.​
What could be possible is NAND restore via hardware flashing (Infectus chip if I remember that correctly). Requires the hardware – of course – and good soldering equipment as well as soldering skills.

============
Sorry can't be of much help with this. Just dropped the pieces of information I have.

Either way: Good luck and have fun!

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
The usual thing. No BootMii@boot2, no Priiloader (overwritten by System Menu installation) and even Bluebomb does not work.

I've no idea if and how SaveMiiFrii works.

What could be possible is NAND restore via hardware flashing (Infectus chip if I remember that correctly). Requires the hardware – of course – and good soldering equipment as well as soldering skills.

============
Sorry can't be of much help with this. Just dropped the pieces of information I have.

Either way: Good luck and have fun!

SaveMiiFrii does work, I can boot into Recovery Mode, even autoboot things but It's just useless because I don't have a modchip... only if someone was selling modchips in my country.

Welp, I guess I'll have some fun while surprising my friends with it :rofl:

btw I heard that people are trying to fix 003 using Bluebomb- Is it just a rumor from a reddit, or real?

Reactions: Alexander1970

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SaveMiiFrii does work, I can boot into Recovery Mode, even autoboot things but It's just useless because I don't have a modchip... only if someone was selling modchips in my country.

Welp, I guess I'll have some fun while surprising my friends with it :rofl:

btw I heard that people are trying to fix 003 using Bluebomb- Is it just a rumor from a reddit, or real?
Trying obviously yes: You tried it. I've read about trying before (Where? No idea.) Sadly don't remember any success.

If you can get a cheap modchip somehow it's definitely worth a try. If the modchip is expensive, hard to get… sadly the best alternative at the moment is simply replacing the Wii (this is surely not a good method because each permanently bricked Wii is one less and there won't be any new Wiis…)

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Trying obviously yes: You tried it. I've read about trying before (Where? No idea.) Sadly don't remember any success.

If you can get a cheap modchip somehow it's definitely worth a try. If the modchip is expensive, hard to get… sadly the best alternative at the moment is simply replacing the Wii (this is surely not a good method because each permanently bricked Wii is one less and there won't be any new Wiis…)

There's not a local seller afaik, but I can buy things from Ebay so I could grab a cheap wiikey clone and solder it to my DMS drive. I already ordered one before but I wasn't able to receive it after 3 months, so I ended up getting my money back.

and I already have a replacement Wii, but I just want to fix it because It was the first console in my entire life, It kinda holds the special place in my life.

Well thanks for the confirm!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Since you used ModMii to originally mod your wii, as long as it was a relatively newer version of Modmii, it would have had you install a patched ios60 to all your system menu slots, meaning this is probably is NOT a 003 brick, but rather some kind of region mismatch issue. When region changing u need to not only install the new region system menu, but also region select, eula, and also adjust some of the region settings using ARC. Since u started the process and didn't complete it you can't access your system menu (and as u already pointed out you overwrote priiloader when u installed a new system menu). Btw, ModMii has a region change wizard that could've helped u avoid this. Region changing is a bit risky even when u know what you r doing, so no surprise that it's easy to brick especially "when young and dumb af" lol!

Now, my good friend and legendary brick repair expert @DeadlyFoez has offered for u to send him your wii for him to repair. If you are interesed send me a PM and I'll help make it happen.

Reactions: BvanBart

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Since you used ModMii to originally mod your wii, as long as it was a relatively newer version of Modmii, it would have had you install a patched ios60 to all your system menu slots, meaning this is probably is NOT a 003 brick, but rather some kind of region mismatch issue. When region changing u need to not only install the new region system menu, but also region select, eula, and also adjust some of the region settings using ARC. Since u started the process and didn't complete it you can't access your system menu (and as u already pointed out you overwrote priiloader when u installed a new system menu). Btw, ModMii has a region change wizard that could've helped u avoid this. Region changing is a bit risky even when u know what you r doing, so no surprise that it's easy to brick especially "when young and dumb af" lol!

Now, my good friend and legendary brick repair expert @DeadlyFoez has offered for u to send him your wii for him to repair. If you are interesed send me a PM and I'll help make it happen.
Ah, forgot to reply...

Thank you for your offer, but I am currently busy during the day - I'm afraid I can't do much about my consoles(including sending it oversea, post office is far from my home) unless it's midnight. I'll send you a PM when I have some free time, is that OK?

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Quick update- I was able to unbrick it with Authentic Super Mario Galaxy 2 Disc!

As soon as I put the disc while on the recovery menu, It rebooted right away and greeted me with a nice, beautiful screen I haven't been able to see in past 6 years...

I assume that the brick was recovered by the auto update, overwriting the foreign .wad file with the right region.

While I'm overwhelmingly happy that It's finally back from the dead, This raises me few more questions that I hope you guys could answer:

So, my Wii was in 4.3K before the brick, updated via Internet. considering It happened at 2016-ish, It should've been in the most recent firmware.
And if my understanding is correct, Recovery mode only runs the update If the update data contained by the disc is more recent than the console's one.
Does this mean that Super Mario Galaxy 2 contains the update data That is more recent than the one provided by NUS?
Also, I swear I won't let this happen again but in case if I do, Will this method no longer work since It is now in the same version that Galaxy 2 contains?

Thanks for all your help!

p.s. I'm sorry if I should've started the new thread instead- I just thought necro-ing would be fine since it contains all the details.
d50968793b0ed070bf0dd43b1992ae0e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A908N using Tapatalk

Last edited by KokoseiJ,

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Just in case you missed it, I did include some more questions. Do you happen to have any idea about it?

I think I might know why, galaxy 2 contains some code that checks if the console has been modified in any way, this was done to prevent homebrew by refusing to start if the code was corrupted or modified, when you inserted the disc it tried to run, it then realised that something was wrong and that someone had tampered the code so it preformed a hard reset reverting any corrupted or tampered code to its default state, I don't think it has anything to do with any updates. Its good to know that your wii was fixed this way as the Korean firmwares aren't as well documented as others...

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I think I might know why, galaxy 2 contains some code that checks if the console has been modified in any way, this was done to prevent homebrew by refusing to start if the code was corrupted or modified, when you inserted the disc it tried to run, it then realised that something was wrong and that someone had tampered the code so it preformed a hard reset reverting any corrupted or tampered code to its default state, I don't think it has anything to do with any updates. Its good to know that your wii was fixed this way as the Korean firmwares aren't as well documented as others...
Huh, If that code was included in the main game, It shouldn't have been triggered since recovery mode doesn't boot the actual game unless it was flagged for autoboot.

But if the code you mentioned was included in the update data itself(somehow, I don't know the details and that's why I'm asking lol), It could be a possibility.

But then again, If it's just a "If IOS modified => trigger update channel" thing that usually happens without priiloader, It should've been triggered when I was trying literally every discs I had..? It only adds more questions...

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Huh, If that code was included in the main game, It shouldn't have been triggered since recovery mode doesn't boot the actual game unless it was flagged for autoboot.

But if the code you mentioned was included in the update data itself(somehow, I don't know the details and that's why I'm asking lol), It could be a possibility.

But then again, If it's just a "If IOS modified => trigger update channel" thing that usually happens without priiloader, It should've been triggered when I was trying literally every discs I had..? It only adds more questions...
yeah galaxy 2 is a weird game, other users have had similar problems that where fixed by it

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Quick update- I was able to unbrick it with Authentic Super Mario Galaxy 2 Disc!

As soon as I put the disc while on the recovery menu, It rebooted right away and greeted me with a nice, beautiful screen I haven't been able to see in past 6 years...

I assume that the brick was recovered by the auto update, overwriting the foreign .wad file with the right region.

While I'm overwhelmingly happy that It's finally back from the dead, This raises me few more questions that I hope you guys could answer:

So, my Wii was in 4.3K before the brick, updated via Internet. considering It happened at 2016-ish, It should've been in the most recent firmware.
And if my understanding is correct, Recovery mode only runs the update If the update data contained by the disc is more recent than the console's one.
Does this mean that Super Mario Galaxy 2 contains the update data That is more recent than the one provided by NUS?
Also, I swear I won't let this happen again but in case if I do, Will this method no longer work since It is now in the same version that Galaxy 2 contains?

Thanks for all your help!

p.s. I'm sorry if I should've started the new thread instead- I just thought necro-ing would be fine since it contains all the details.
d50968793b0ed070bf0dd43b1992ae0e.jpg

Great work @KokoseiJ! That info would help me a lot when I have trouble with real Wii hardware. In a future maybe I will get a Wii console and I will get some original discs, because I knew many Wii games in discs have System Menu updates and fixes for boot Wii and the games depending of the game's and Wii's region. Good job! :D

Last edited by SaulFabre,

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Great work @KokoseiJ! That info would help me a lot when I have trouble with real Wii hardware. In a futute maybe I will get a Wii console and I will get some original discs, because I knew many Wii games in discs have System Menu updates and fixes for boot Wii and the games depending of the game's and Wii's region. Good job! :D
Thanks for the compliment!

But still, I have questions left that I would like to get answered. are Wii experties still around this forum?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks for the compliment!

But still, I have questions left that I would like to get answered. are Wii experties still around this forum?
Maybe. But i'm very interested on Wii scene, hacking and custom iNJECTS of VC/Flash Game WiiWare games, so you can ask me anytime if you have any question about Wii scene. ;)

KokoseiJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Maybe. But i'm very interested on Wii scene, hacking and custom iNJECTS of VC/Flash Game WiiWare games, so you can ask me anytime if you have any question about Wii scene. ;)
Thanks, I'll be sure to find you when I have problems related to that.

For now I need someone who knows the structure of system menu, IOS and recovery mode-related stuffs well enough, I don't have time to investigate all of it by myself.

I'll just wait till tomorrow, I guess. kinda forgot that timezone is relevant in this forum.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks, I'll be sure to find you when I have problems related to that.

For now I need someone who knows the structure of system menu, IOS and recovery mode-related stuffs well enough, I don't have time to investigate all of it by myself.

I'll just wait till tomorrow, I guess. kinda forgot that timezone is relevant in this forum.
Not much sure how's the Wii internal software in order for function but I know that some of the basic software and plug-ins for make the Wii boot up are: the Wii System Menu of your Wii's region, IOSes, MIOS (component for Nintendo GameCube retro-compatibility with Wii), BC (plug-in for enhance Nintendo GameCube retro-compatibility with Wii), EULA, boot1 or boot2 (depending of your Wii), etc.

The default channels that come with Wii are: Disc Channel (for start Wii & GCN games), Mii Channel (for make and manage Miis), News Channel, Forecast Channel, Photo Channel and Wii Shop Channel.

If you soft-mod your Wii by using different exploits (LetterBomb, str2hax, FlashHax, etc.), you can get the Homebrew Channel (for run homebrew applications, tools, WAD managers, emulators, etc.) and BootMii. I strongly recommend have installed both BootMii (as IOS and as boot2 if possible) and Priiloader, so you can be protected against future bricks to your Wii console. Don't forget to also have a NAND backup made with one of these for ensure that you can restore the NAND if your Wii gets bricked.

Greetings for you, and hope this info helps you ;)

Last edited by SaulFabre,
Reactions: Alexander1970

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
4.3J is SM version 512

4.3K is SM version 518

When u loaded up your Kor disc on your partially region changed wii, it saw there was an update (from 512 to 518).

I'm not sure that this solution would have worked if the regions were reversed (I E. If u were semi bricked on 518, it would not have detected 512 as an update). Consider yourself lucky. Make sure u have a nand backup, priiloader, etc, use modmii again if it helps, it's totally safe to repeat steps

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun