I have a battle of the budget cards going here...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rambo M., Feb 17, 2009.

1. Rambo M.
    OP

Newcomer Rambo M. Newbie

United States
    First time flashkit buyer. I'm towards the end of my rather exhausting research on what I want, and it's been narrowed to the budget cards: EDGE, iTouch, and Acekard 2. I've nearly settled on EDGE so now it's a matter of eliminating the other two and/or finding out what i've missed. SO. I have some Potentially Stupid Questions™:

a) Which of them support the DS sleep mode? Better yet, can it be called a foregone conclusion that any decent flashkit worth its' salt supports it without a hitch?

b) I read on the Acekard review here that one must take care not to filth up its' unprotected metal contacts. Is this still an issue?

c) Haven't heard that much about Acekard's compatibility compared to EDGE (which I am aware is a Cyclo clone). Roughly the same?

d) I read a lot about dedicated Soft Reset features but, I don't think i've heard yet if the typical soft reset (L+R+Start+Select) still works on these?

e) Finally this is kind of a general question, but which of those 3 tends to get the better length out of the battery?

If it matters, I use the ole Fat DS. Would hugely appreciate any help! (this place all but brought an end to my confused wandering looking for details)

2. 5thdimension

Newcomer 5thdimension Member

Canada
    Have you considered the DSTT? I recommend against the EDGE as it is more expensive than the iTouch and the AceKard 2 and there isn't much more features. I haven't heard of anything about the unprotected metal contacts on the AK2... and all of those cards should have decent (not much difference between carts) battery life. There is a soft reset on all those cards, I think the keys might vary though.

3. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    DS sleep mode is no issue. The AceKard contact issue isn't that big of a deal unless you leave your acekard unattended near cesspools, nuclear spills, or razor blades. Acekard compatibility is perfect. No idea on battery usage, as mine is usually being charged when I use it, and if not it's at the second light setting. (DS Lite)

I ordered mine from here.

They also sell Edge, DSTT, and iTouch. It's a really nice site if you don't mind shipping time, as they ship directly from china, for free.

As for which card I'd recommend, I can't render an un-biased opinion, as all I own is an Acekard 2 and an ancient G6 Lite.

But from what I know of these cards, EDGE is somewhat of a Cyclo clone, yet doesn't include real time save and in-game guide, slowdown function of the Cyclo. It also has perfect compatibility at the moment.

DSTT is a budget card, that seems to have compatibility issues (not many), no file browser, and laggy menus and is easy to skin. (It is cheap though. Geez. $6.71 at DX.)

iTouch is a budget version of the M3 products, and can even run M3 Sakura, which means, cheapie M3. But with default firmware, it is slowish in menus, and has issues with soft reset, and a flimsy build quality. But hey, cheapy M3.

Acekard 2 is

4. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    First time flashkit buyer. I'm towards the end of my rather exhausting research on what I want, and it's been narrowed to the budget cards: EDGE, iTouch, and Acekard 2. I've nearly settled on EDGE so now it's a matter of eliminating the other two and/or finding out what i've missed. SO. I have some Potentially Stupid Questions™:

a) Which of them support the DS sleep mode? Better yet, can it be called a foregone conclusion that any decent flashkit worth its' salt supports it without a hitch?

All cards do

b) I read on the Acekard review here that one must take care not to filth up its' unprotected metal contacts. Is this still an issue?

its not really a big issue, especially considering the flashcard will be in your DS all the time

c) Haven't heard that much about Acekard's compatibility compared to EDGE (which I am aware is a Cyclo clone). Roughly the same?

both have 100% compatibility, however having experience with both, I can say the acekard2 sometimes requires you to use a different loader from the default. for instance with phoenix wright: ace attorney and the official loader I had to press and hold the A button to use the old loader. however the games are few and far between, and AKAIO allows you to set an option so a certain rom will always use an alternate loader. so, I usually recommend acekard2 if you like to fiddle with things.

d) I read a lot about dedicated Soft Reset features but, I don't think i've heard yet if the typical soft reset (L+R+Start+Select) still works on these?

no idea, sorry, I don't use soft reset

e) Finally this is kind of a general question, but which of those 3 tends to get the better length out of the battery?

I don't know, but IMO if you run the DS's battery out with either you have been playing for far too long [​IMG]

If it matters, I use the ole Fat DS. Would hugely appreciate any help! (this place all but brought an end to my confused wandering looking for details)

It does not matter

edit: ack, stupid quote limit!