Gaming I have 9+ WIFI devices... professionnal gears??

Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I made a thread about this issue before but I am just going nuts I have been testing different routers and setups but i cant get the performance I want. I could go wired I know I will on some devices but anyhow...

Where can I find a router thats can handle many devices in the same time? I need some help.
Compagnies must have this issue? WTF all routers sucks?

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats a pretty loaded question. First off most routers that your gonna run into at a local retailer are most likely meant for just basic useage. So if you have a 30 dollar belkin thats not going to cut it. Second off, when you say performance what are you looking to acheive? Is it transfer speed, range, how fast it makes toast?

Give us some more insight to what your trying to achieve and I bet someone can recomend a decent router for you, or you could always build your own!

Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
first off retailers in my area don't know sh*t about sh*t. second I just want to be able to acheive the full 2.5MB/S streaming SMB (which I get If nothing else is going on) while I download my full speed 900kb/sec on another computer and while we are at it it could be another smb(i am not there yet but i want) streaming to another device. I can only get one or the other ATM whatever the setup. I want to have idle connected device not slowdown the process either (and they do...)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If I remember, most routers can only handle 16 WiFi connected devices at once. If you're having problems getting them all connected, consider using WiFi extenders. As for the router's ability as a switcher, that depends on the quality and how much you're taxing it.

When you say streaming, do you mean online streaming (from a site) or local streaming (from a media center like the XBox360)?

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
you cant do it & get decent performance.
the router cant channel hop while a connection is open, so all connections must timeshare on the same channel number.

unless your router has loads of ram and runs something like ddwrt it may not keep that many connections anyway - that's a lot of buffers to maintain!

the other thing is the microwaves, you'd need a tinfoil hat and a good ground connection to live around all that!!!
laugh.gif

Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I watched the video on how to make a router unfortunately, its not a wireless one.

OK now I get this a little more. So what i dreaded seem to be true... all routers are crap. So everytime devices are connected it load up the tiny ram and the router needs this ram and processing power to be packeting thru WIFI. This must be untrue for wired connection where the router must only serve as a route...

Thanks guys for the help! What i am gonna for now do is setup 3 routers in 3 different rooms and go wired for the most I can (which is what was planned). I am gonna continue my speed test from there after on.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, you should go multiple routers if you have more than 5 wireless devices, at least that's my policy. And be sure to get a router that runs DD-WRT, it's an excellent firmware. Stock ones are a bunch of crap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.