I have 2 monitors, 1 GPU HDMI Slot

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by ShinyMK, Dec 30, 2016.

1. ShinyMK
    OP

ShinyMK known as @initPRAGMA

Dec 29, 2015
    Is it still possible to dual-monitor?
    I do have 3 display ports on it but I dont have any Display Port leads, Should I just hold off and try get a display port lead and use that?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Get a display port to HDMI adapter or cable. That's the quickest and cheapest answer to your problem.

Minox and Subtle Demise like this.
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
  4. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Never heard of or seen that display port thing before. The most recent video card I bought has HDMI and DVI...

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It's basically an HDMI alternative, it's a standard input for newer monitors and can be easily converted to and from mini Displayport for laptops, so GPU manufacturers are including them in their cards

Originality likes this.
  6. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    So it's relatively new then. I haven't had to upgrade my PC in a while, in fact I still have an old LCD VGA monitor hooked up to it with a shitty apapter.

Anyway, I won't derail this topic anymore, was just curious about this newfangled technology.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I remember reading while DisplayPort was new that it was a solution to getting graphics cards to output to more than two screens. AMD did a whole song and dance about EyeFinity with 3 and 6 monitor arrays that depended on the new DP standard to work. However it cost so much to set up (getting a stand to VESA mount 3 or 6 monitors was prohibitively expensive back then) that it never really got traction.

Back to the point, I think the reason why all modern graphics cards use miniDP ports (and maybe one DVI-I and/or HDMI) is because it's so easy to find adaptors for them to any standard your monitors/TVs use. They're all digital signals, and the main difference between the different standards are how they handle the signal (educated guess, too lazy to google up the actual answer) and available bandwidth (e.g. For UHD/4K 60hz).

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. ShinyMK
    OP

ShinyMK known as @initPRAGMA

Dec 29, 2015
    Ok thanks guys - Ill probably just buy a Display Port adapter then :)