I hate the fact that the world has different driving sides, plug types and isn't fully metric. They're the most obvious world differences.

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
OP
Trophies
XP
Why won't UK, India, japan and every other country switch to the right like the rest of the world? This could streamline production of automobiles and make it easier for motorists to go abroad. Differing voltages/frequencies and plug types make it more difficult for electronics and appliances to be sold throughout the globe. How come there is no real effort to harmonize them? US and UK should have been fully metric a long time ago for obvious reasons.
Post automatically merged:

(P. S: a above water bridge between uk and france would be nice. A japan korea tunnel would also be cool.)

Reactions: AncientBoi

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When is the rational cutoff to switch sides?
Assuming UK and Japan agreed that switching was a good idea, how would they accomplish this?
How would the entire population be expected to know how to drive on the opposite side, suddenly?
Experienced driving is a subconscious and I think you're understating the magnitude of the learning curve.

Most differences in electrical are solved with simple adapters or regional plugs.
For a country to convert its entire electrical grid is an expensive endeavor.
What benefit would "harmonizing" national standards have?
How would you justify these costs?

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
OP
Trophies
XP
When is the rational cutoff to switch sides?
Assuming UK and Japan agreed that switching was a good idea, how would they accomplish this?
How would the entire population be expected to know how to drive on the opposite side, suddenly?
Experienced driving is a subconscious and I think you're understating the magnitude of the learning curve.

Most differences in electrical are solved with simple adapters or regional plugs.
For a country to convert its entire electrical grid is an expensive endeavor.
What benefit would "harmonizing" national standards have?
How would you justify these costs?
This would make it easier for products to be introduced to multiple regions. Sweden switched sides in 67 without much problem. Japan and UK has a lot of expensive road infrastructure, repurposing the material for high speed rail or housing projects would be a good idea. Maybe the world would agree on a mandated one plug standard and could be solved with an adapter with existing sockets. Maybe mandate all appliances to be dual voltage and frequency compatible to work around the world.
For new building electrification, Perhaps allow 230v sockets because higher voltage is more efficient with less copper usage.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have bigger problems in the U.K. than driving on the "wrong" side.

The other stuff, it could be changed, but it's not a big deal either.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly don’t think that any politician would risk killing their career by taking extremely unpopular decisions like those.

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Changing to metric would be the easiest one of these because you don't need to redo a whole bunch of infrastructure. Science labs in the US already use Metric I gather.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
British plugs are fucking excellent and better the shit used in the US.

Considering the mess the country is in, this is one of the few things going for us.
The plugs are actually more costly yet the cable to provide is cheaper, however from a statistics point of view 230v is more efficient.

Not by leaps and bounds, however if the world all used 230v it would be a noticeable impact.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why they drive on the left? Well it have to do with history.
Most of the world are right handed. And knights preferred while riding to use their dominant hand to fight from horse back. It's simply the reason why it's still there.

The British plug should be the default plug all over the world. A safer plug is hard to find. Also an excellent window trap against burglars!

The UK use the metric system. Most of the US does it as well and it's slowly becoming fully metric.

Also lol on the bridge. I won't even bother trying to explain why it's a bad idea. Just check up shipping and that ends there.
A tunnel between Korea and Japan have been planned and disgust a lot. Since the 80s.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The UK use the metric system. Most of the US does it as well and it's slowly becoming fully metric.
They use a mixture of the different systems. Metric, imperial, Stones.

Despite that, the main one tends to be metric as it's the universal which everyone gets along with.

The British plug should be the default plug all over the world. A safer plug is hard to find. Also an excellent window trap against burglars!
That it is regardless it takes more space, but it's far safer and more reliable.

Cyprus for example uses the Euro plug and the British plug.

I remember making a thread about it on here and there were other countries (in Latin America, iirc) that also use a variation of two plugs.

One of the best inventions the Brits had. :P

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@Marc_LFD believe it or not. A lot of us mix as well. For example measuring a monitor, we use inches. So we sadly aren't 100% metric either. I wish we did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.