I guess my EDGE card is dead? (Advice appreciated)

Discussion in 'EDGE' started by skafan12, May 20, 2010.

May 20, 2010
  1. skafan12
    OP

Newcomer skafan12 Member

United States
    So I recently started playing with my DS Lite again (after a semester long hiatus). Long story short, I find out that my MicroSD card is dead. Can't format it, can't even get my computer to read it. So I lose all of my files. I'm over it.

Later that night, I get a new MicroSD card and format it (using Panasonic SD formatter) and update it with 1.10 firmware from the site (Basically, to this point, I've done everything that would be recommended to do). A few of my games don't work - they get stuck on the loading part or flash to a white screen and stay there. I try different firmware versions to no avail.

Is it safe to say that my EDGE card is probably the cause of my problems? I tried formatting my MicroSD card multiple times, and even used older firmware versions to be sure. Still, about 1/3 of my games aren't playing - and they're games that I used to be able to play (like Platinum, FFIV, etc.) Should I order a new card?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I've heard (only heard, mind you) that u might run into problems if u reformat ur microSD with anything else other than the usb stick that came with the Edge cart....sounds wonkie, but give it a try.......

And from my thinking...if the Edge cart was dead it wouldn't play a thing.

3. skafan12
    OP

Newcomer skafan12 Member

United States
    I formatted my SD card with the original USB stick that came with EDGE. No luck.

Good point on the second part, though. Anybody have experience or know what I'm running into? I really don't want to buy another card, and I know if I buy another card it most likely won't be EDGE.

4. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    did you get the roms the second time from the same place u did initially?.....might it just be bad roms?

5. taken

Member taken GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I only had problems with black screens playing final fantasy III and some other games using class 2 cards.
    I change to class 4 and I haven't any problems so far.

6. shinnyuuya

Member shinnyuuya GBAtemp Fan

Indonesia
    try to put the os only on the micro sd to see if edge can boot normaly

7. skafan12
    OP

Newcomer skafan12 Member

United States
    I'm also using PNY Class 4 cards, which have worked in the past. If somebody would be kind enough to PM the site they use for their games, I could maybe see if it is just bad roms.

8. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    i agree. if it boots to the menu, and you can play other games besides the ones you're having problems with, then chances are there's nothing wrong with your EDGE. besides, this is the first time i've actually heard of an EDGE card dying out, if it's true. I've had mine for 3 years now and it's still working perfectly well, so... :/

might be time to redownload those games that wouldn't work.

9. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    I doubt it's your EDGE it's most likely the roms that are the problem they all work (worked, I have a DSTWO now [​IMG]) for me. use the 1.10 firmware there really are no problems with the firmware, it's definately the roms fault.

10. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    Corrupted roms or perhaps .sav files too start with a clean rom and no save file.