GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What do you think i should spend it on? I'm 16... and i want to get a 360... dunno if i should get an elite... i dun have an HD, but HDMI > component for when i do get an HD (somewhere between eventually and never)

first: regular white 360 + wireless adapter or an elite?
second: what should i buy with the left over money? (another laptop thats actually... *gasp* portable?) or should i save the money? or something else? (Please no stupid suggestions like charity, including to my fellow tempers)

and if you can, please post your age so i get some idea of how informed your opinion is / to get an idea of you knowing the value of money

also.. yeah, i don't have a job (my parents wont let me O.o) and nor do i have a license (but i should be getting one soon, but if i get a car, it will no doubt suck and i wouldn't be able to pay insurance)

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd put it in a savings account. My dad is a teacher in the OC so he has an account with OCTFCU (Orange County Teacher's Federal Credit Union), and I get to have one too, I get great interest.

Who knows! You might forget about it and end up being much older and much richer!
tongue.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Save it for a car and insurance or would your parents pay for that?

You're very lucky to get that amount of CASH at christmas. I could never imagine it.

Your parents won't let you get a job and you're 16? What are their reasons and are they valid?

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
um i would buy an elite then with like the 300 bucks left over buy um a ds lite and an r4ds and im 15

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
their reasons are
1) i can't get a ride (but if a friend offers me a ride suddenly "no im not their responsiblity" so my parents wont even let me get rides from friends)
2) They'll get me a car in like 2 years (or so they say) and they'll pay for insurance when i get my license (hopefully in feb... my moms having surgery now so its like hectic)
3) This is money i've saved for at least 3 if not 4 years between xmases.
4) Saving and benefiting from interest.. It sounds good... until I give my dad all that money, tell him to put it in my (savings?) and the next week he'll be like "what? i dont remember..." or somethinn that ends up pissing me off to no hell

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should donate it to GBAtemp for even asking a video game community. Of COURSE some will tell you buy so and so console(s), but the best thing to do would be to save it.

And you know, there's always such a thing as independence from parents. You should get rides from friends that you trust to be good drivers. And if you get a job, do it part time and say that you're in some club at school. You're frickin 16, man.

A 16 year-old can open up their own bank account. DON'T tell your parents about it, because sometimes even they can't resist stealing from their own children to pay rent or some crap. And then when something comes up that you REALLY want (to be honest, it doesn't sound like you want a 360 that much), just buy it.

Sailor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm turning 16 next month...if I was in your situation, it'd be simple.
1 Xbox 360 Premium
1 Halo 3
1 Rock Band
1 Mp3 Player of my choice

That's all..it's like $700 or so there.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do really want a 360 'cause the online is SO infinitely much better than Wii's (just lately it's... sucked.)

I can open up my own bank account? (did not know that)
Isn't there like some "if you parents cosign it something better happens?" or is that with loans and stuff? (Never really dealt with more than $150 at once)

Deposit it myself? How? (Yes, I really AM clueless to this sort of stuff) Anyways, you'd think my dad would ACTUALLY do it since he works at a BANK and all. OMG would i be able to open a (credit or debit or checking?) account so i can buy stuffs online??? (dunno the difference between those accounts... D=)

BTW, laoluisg, i have a DSL and R4 =D

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You shoudn't be telling people how much money you have. I mean, it's safer over the internet, but it's still not a good idea. Also, why ask us? we'll just end up tell you to buy the stuff we want to buy because it's fresh in our brains. I suggest you put most of it away in a bank account or something so you don't spend it all on impulse. I want to get a new DS lite since mine has an effed up touch screen, but I'm waiting till one of those special event sales happens. Around my area, Electronics go on sale a lot, so it's wise to wait for the discount. And if there is something you really want and know where to get it, but you have to wait for whatever reason, turn the amount of money needed into a gift card. That way you won't spend the money you need on some dumb impulse buy. Though I must say that there is a favourite food or a snack that you don't get too often for whatever reason, I suggest (if you have a fair amount) you indulge yourself to a treat and get said food item. After all, food is one of the most important reasons to having money.

As for not being "allowed" to get a job, you may want to ask your parents for detailed info as to why not. If you're still in school, that is actually quite a legitimate reason. School is stressful enough without having to worry about a job.

Oh, and you need a credit card for online shopping. not a bank card. I HIGHLY suggest that you DO NOT get a credit card.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and you need a credit card for online shopping. not a bank card. I HIGHLY suggest that you DO NOT get a credit card.
Incorrect on both accounts. You can sign up for PayPal with a debit/bank card, allowing you to do business with any of the stores that accept it; and theres nothing wrong with credit cards as long as you manage your credit.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why am i asking you guys? Because... you guys can only give me good ideas 'cause i can easily weed out the bad ideas (since they're given by people like sonic209 who aren't smart enough to READ MY FIRST POST)
QUOTE said:
(Please no stupid suggestions like charity, including to my fellow tempers)

And a majority of the people i know i can take seriously are the ones who are suggesting I do what's right (saving)

Anyways, yes, school + the fact i can't get a ride to work are the two biggest factors why i dont have a job... also because i get allowance (until i get a job)

So the plan is to get a 360 (elite or premium. I'm leaning towards the elite 'cause it has the wireless built in, HDMI, and a 120GB drive for $100 more afaik) and the rest should
A) Go into my existing savings
B) Go into a new savings
(Pros / Cons?)

VBKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh................ oops

I actually had no idea about that paypal function. I mean I know about paypal, but I was pretty sure that you needed a credit card.

As for having a credit card, I mainly meant that at his age, he should not have a credit card. especially if he has no job.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I also wanted to add
C) Make a debit account

so i can do paypal like urza suggested. (sounds good... must get more info tho)

Urza: My parents are very overprotective. They wont let me ride my bike out of my street without telling them (VERY DUMB IMO, i do it anyways, through the whole (relatively large) neighborhood but just because at like any time they'll call me to get home and if it takes me 20 minutes to get home (its a 3 minute bikeride to get out of my community, and another probably five to get to the nearest bank (about a mile and a half from the entrance)) no doubt i'll be up shit's creek without a paddle. Much less can i ride on public transportation.

No available job openings around here, 'cause now even freshman (14 year olds) are getting jobs
frown.gif

Can't work online on account of my crappy, unreliable connection, and the fact that most other adults i've talked to ('cause i wanted to work online over the summer) told me that i shouldn't because no doubt I'd get outsourced.

EDIT: BTW its like half past midnight, so i'll refresh the page when i wake up around 6-6:30 before i leave to school. Please post with your suggestions. Much appreciated.
bow.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go get yourself the 360, but make sure you get some sort of extended warranty from wherever you buy it from.

The 360 has got it going on, but it has a tendency to get the 3-rings-of-death problem. A bonus warranty is a must.

Spend any excess cash on some games for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr