I got into SCAD!

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got into Savannah College of Art and Design, I'm really excited that I got in! This is one of the top art 5 colleges in the country and its a private school with a 50-50 (seriously, its like a 51% chance of getting acceptance). I honestly didn't think I'd get in but I did! SCAD Class of 2014! My parents are really happy for me...they were both crying that I got in and I'm truly blessed...looks like I'm on my way to developing video games!

kkadera

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats 1998 grad, and have been employed in games every day of my life since. Remember, you only get out what you put in.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
worlok375 said:
Nice one man! Hope to see some games from you soon!

Plenty of Mega Man games.
gba.gif

QUOTE(kkadera @ Dec 10 2009, 04:22 PM) Congrats 1998 grad, and have been employed in games every day of my life since. Remember, you only get out what you put in.

Seriously? o.O How's life been after graduating?

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Congratulations. My cousin is going to try to be a videogame designer but I think he will have to leave Australia to do it as many of our studios are shutting down.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kkadera said:
Congrats 1998 grad, and have been employed in games every day of my life since. Remember, you only get out what you put in.

offtopic: DAMN talk about lurking WOW
rofl.gif

Ontopic: grats raiyu I envy you deeply
laugh.gif
(no seriously)

kkadera

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
worlok375 said:
Nice one man! Hope to see some games from you soon!

Plenty of Mega Man games.
gba.gif

QUOTE(kkadera @ Dec 10 2009, 04:22 PM) Congrats 1998 grad, and have been employed in games every day of my life since. Remember, you only get out what you put in.

Seriously? o.O How's life been after graduating?

Life's great, i see in your earlier scad posts that your targeting specific gamestudios/publishers. Definitely realize, experience is king. You will grad SCAD with an MFA or BFA, and that's a HUGE help, but don't be afraid to get your foot in the door ANYWHERE YOU CAN. Get in, bust ass, move up, repeat. It took me 6 studio hops to get to the one i wanted to be at, but when i got there, i was ready for anything. (not going out of my way to advertise on HERE where that is but its the one i wanted)

No matter how much you will learn in school, you will learn more in your first 3 months on the job. At scad your courses will be 10 weeks long with known deadlines, but in the industry stuff can change overnight.

DON'T BE IMPATIENT WITH YOUR FIRST 2 YEARS OF TRADITIONAL. They're gonna drill you with traditional art classes.. its gonna help more than the tech, i promise.

2 years in maya wont matter after 10 years in the industry when you've switched apps 5 times since school. (it was softimage 3.5 back then for me).

One of the best things you'll learn is how to take a critique without being a baby. i don't mean subtle hints, i mean a professor grabbing your charcoal and going to town on your 18$ piece of rives art paper in front of the class.. it'll happen... some people will cry. But you'll be a hardass in the real world for experiencing it.

I don't know if they still require it, but you'll PROBABLY be forced to minor in ArtHistory. Once again, you wont know for along time, but this is SUPERSUPERSUPER helpful. You will, someday, be told by an artdirector, that this cathedral model needs to be more gothic (in architecture terms, not hottopic clothes), throw some flying buttresses in there, and while your at it make the cloisters bigger etc etc etc. You'll KNOW what they want.. instantly.

other hints.

In years 3,4 if you're not living in the labs, you're not doing it right, i don't care if you have the best a equipment in the WORLD at home, there's much to learn form your classmates at midnight in the labs.

MAKE FRIENDS WHO KNOW THEIR SH@T..... this industry is ALL ABOUT networking.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks GameDragon!

tinymonkeyt said:
Oh wow, congrats! Acceptance letters so early?

I'm still going to be on edge until late March. Boo.

Yeah, the Fall 2010 application deadline is in February and it takes a while for your things to arrive in Savannah (like 2 weeks) so I sent my things in early.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a