Homebrew I got a Nintendo 64 emulator running (extremely poorly) on the New 3DS!

Do you think playable N64 emulation on New 3DS is possible?

• Yes, of course, the New 3DS has a powerful quad-core processor, so it should easily be capable!

• No way, the New 3DS isn't powerful enough to correctly emulate a 22-year-old console...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Note:
This is entirely proof-of-concept, and will never be in a playable state!
It is entirely software-rendered and interpreted, as I am not capable of writing a Dynamic Recompiler.
I am simply proving that it can be done at all, but if done with a proper dynamic recompiler and hardware level emulation it would likely run 100% perfectly on the New 3DS!
Hopefully a dev will see this as proof that N64 emulation can be done on the New 3DS.
My request to every dev out there: please try to write N64 DynaRec and HLE code for the 3DS!
N64 emulation on New 3DS is clearly possible, but no-one has actually bothered to try writing any code until now!

The CPU interpreter, based on CTR64's code works fine, but slowly.
The RDP code, which was also based on CTR64's code, sucks. It only supports point-sampled textures, so there's no bilinear filtering. (CTR64 was based on the CTRX PS1 Emulator's code, and the PS1 didn't support bilinear filtering.)
The RSP code, also based on CTR64's code, is even worse, there are loads of major graphical glitches and a slightly visible wireframe on each 3D model.
Controls and Audio are 100% perfect, however, it's hard to tell in-game because it runs so slowly!

Video proof:
A video of me playing Super Mario 64 on the emulator is coming in an hour or so! (Slow upload speeds...)

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would have to say no on the n64 ever being playable. I dont believe its the resources but rather no one giving a crap about coding such a thing. This looks and sounds quite promising. But sadly this is likely 4-5 years (guessing) too late for any remaining devs to care about.

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Videos can be faked. Whats the difference. A release is the only real way to verify.
Maybe just take off your tinfoil hat and just wait for OP to upload a video before you go calling it fake, when we don't even know if it could be real yet. Which it likely is, because OP has no reason to lie.

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe just take off your tinfoil hat and just wait for OP to upload a video before you go calling it fake, when we don't even know if it could be real yet. Which it likely is, because OP has no reason to lie.

Why do people make fake stuff? For attention. Thats enough reason to lie.

Look, I am just saying: DONT GET YOUR HOPES UP UNLESS THERE IS SOME PROOF

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I don't think he's calling it fake but anticipating the upcoming storm of posts calling it fake.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why do people make fake stuff? For attention. Thats enough reason to lie.

Look, I am just saying: DONT GET YOUR HOPES UP UNLESS THERE IS SOME PROOF
Kinda feels like the whole waiting for when USUM leaked early with all the fake bs that came before it. Best to just wait this out to see how it turns out.

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Last edited by SimonMKWii,

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you have to use ibb.co?
imgur.com, mixtape.moe, pomf.cat and so on are all websites where you can freely upload stuff to. Ibb.co is notorious for hosting viruses apparently and has had ransomware on it.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/209070-blocked-website/

1. That's rubbish. I have used the site for 2 years and neither I or anyone else viewing the images have been infected.
2. There's always something to complain about, isn't there? I go out of my way to take these images and upload them, and the only response I get is a false virus report. How nice!
3. No, I'm not uploading it again. Either view the images on imgbb, or wait for the YouTube video to finish uploading. (Currently at 43%)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Awesome :)
It'd be nice to see how this goes, even if it's just a PoC, it's always nice to see technical wonders.

One thing though, why use CTR64 as the base for the port instead of Mupen64?
I feel like going for Mupen64 would greatly help out in the dynarec, interpreter, RDP and RSP code, since that one is already way up in compatibility in comparison.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it'll make for a great proof of concept, but I can't imagine an N64 ever be running in a truly playable state on the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay