Homebrew I got a New 3DS with Luma3DS installed. How do I get rid of it?

DrSkyentist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I purchased a used "New" 3DS (Non-XL the Black Friday Mario Edition) and it came with Luma3DS installed on it from the previous owner.

I have no clue how to use this and would like to just get rid of it but cant find anything on how to for my particular situation.

I don't have a system backup file, I'm currently running Version 11.3.0-36U, it looks like it was formatted through the 3ds menu before it was shipped out. and there is something called FBI installed on the home screen even after formatting it again.

Also can I log into my Nintendo Network ID without risking getting banned or something? The seller did not mention this at all in the description and I'm really feeling annoyed right now.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can go online, use the eShop and sign into NNID without a single problem. You only get banned for 3 things
Playing online a public header (only effects flashcarts like Gateway.)
Cheating online
Playing a popular game before launch. Pokemon S/M resulted in a ban, Monster Hunter Generations didn't.

And to remove it, you simply need to play the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from this into the root of your SD card and will give you the option to remove A9LH.
Frim there, you can delete all files tethered to Luma3DS.

Reactions: DinckelMan

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I purchased a used "New" 3DS (Non-XL the Black Friday Mario Edition) and it came with Luma3DS installed on it from the previous owner.

I have no clue how to use this and would like to just get rid of it but cant find anything on how to for my particular situation.

I don't have a system backup file, I'm currently running Version 11.3.0-36U, it looks like it was formatted through the 3ds menu before it was shipped out. and there is something called FBI installed on the home screen even after formatting it again.

Also can I log into my Nintendo Network ID without risking getting banned or something? The seller did not mention this at all in the description and I'm really feeling annoyed right now.
honestly, why would you want to remove it? you will not get banned unless you do something stupid, like play a game online before its release date.
you may actually want some of the stuff it offers at some point, I recommend keeping it and doing some research.

DrSkyentist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go online, use the eShop and sign into NNID without a single problem. You only get banned for 3 things
Playing online a public header (only effects flashcarts like Gateway.)
Cheating online
Playing a popular game before launch. Pokemon S/M resulted in a ban, Monster Hunter Generations didn't.

And to remove it, you simply need to play the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from this into the root of your SD card and will give you the option to remove A9LH.
Frim there, you can delete all files tethered to Luma3DS.

So can I still allow automatic updates from Nintendo? Use it as a totally normal 3DS without worrying about getting banned? And what do you mean by Public Header?

Thanks for your reply!

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like OP is joking. However if its a genuine user then I can understand why they would want to get rid of it. If they consider it a regular 3DS and update it then it won't be fixable by a regular user. You should be able to uninstall arm9loaderhax with the SafeA9LH installer.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So can I still allow automatic updates from Nintendo? Use it as a totally normal 3DS without worrying about getting banned? And what do you mean by Public Header?

Thanks for your reply!
You can technically just continue to use your 3DS as stock with Luma3DS. Luma3DS will protect your hacks. I don't always suggest updating the latest OFW until it's been confirmed safe. But 99% of time it's completely safe to continue updating the system as normal.
You won't get banned for Luma3DS. Public headers are something that only effect .3DS roms used by flashcarts. It's basically the game header that the system reads to determine if the .3DS game it legit. CFWs are not effected by this, so you don't have to worry about it.

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OP, to restore the system to a clean state if that's what you actually want to do. You will need to inject the Health & Safety App back witch is currently FBI. That's why when you format the system it survives the format. You can do this through HourGlass9. OFC you need the App itself. I do believe you can download the app with a NUS downloaded app.
Then after that is done, you should be able to run the a9lh installer and select uninstall. A format after this should restore the 3DS to stock.
Now just saying. Removing a9lh should be safe but just encase use HourGlass9 to make a SysNAND backup before you uninstall. If it bricks during the process you could get a hardmod if the system doesn't already have one and fix it then try again.

Last edited by Natsuru,

DrSkyentist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can technically just continue to use your 3DS as stock with Luma3DS. Luma3DS will protect your hacks. I don't always suggest updating the latest OFW until it's been confirmed safe. But 99% of time it's completely safe to continue updating the system as normal.
You won't get banned for Luma3DS. Public headers are something that only effect .3DS roms used by flashcarts. It's basically the game header that the system reads to determine if the .3DS game it legit. CFWs are not effected by this, so you don't have to worry about it.

Ok, I could not figure out if you could still play online or not. Not many straight forward answers to questions out there, lol. I think I'll just take your advice and keep it as is. Eventually I'll find the time to look into how to properly use it for themes and such. Do you recommend a good jumping off point on figuring out how to use Luma3ds? Something simple like how to use a custom theme or download a GBA rom? I have no idea if there is anything else i need to do at this point to make sure that I don't brick anything either...

Reactions: TimX24968B

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OP, to restore the system to a clean state if that's what you actually want to do. You will need to inject the Health & Safety App back witch is currently FBI. That's why when you format the system it survives the format. You can do this through GodMode9. OFC you need the App itself. I do believe you can download the app with a NUS downloaded app.
Then after that is done, you should be able to run the a9lh installer and select uninstall. A format after this should restore the 3DS to stock.
Now just saying. Removing a9lh should be safe but just encase use GodMode9 to make a SysNAND backup before you uninstall. If it bricks during the process you could get a hardmod if the system doesn't already have one and fix it then try again.
I really wouldn't suggest someone who doesn't know what they are doing to mess around in GodMode9. You can easily brick with that.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I could not figure out if you could still play online or not. Not many straight forward answers to questions out there, lol. I think I'll just take your advice and keep it as is. Eventually I'll find the time to look into how to properly use it for themes and such. Do you recommend a good jumping off point on figuring out how to use Luma3ds? Something simple like how to use a custom theme or download a GBA rom? I have no idea if there is anything else i need to do at this point to make sure that I don't brick anything either...
make a NAND backup now, so that you can restore it and fix any brick you accidentally encounter. also, search around these forums. you can find alot of answers to your questions that way.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can still play online. For GBA games, do research on 3DS GBA emulators or look up the Ultimate GBA VC Injector, which will create a GBA CIA that you can install with FBI onto your Home Menu. You can use custom themes.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can check out the Wiki
https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki
Gives you most of what you need to know. I also suggest checking out my Wiki, which breaks down and explains the features in simple English
http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/
I can't tell you how to download GBA games because rules. But you can find them by googling "that iso site."
Custom themes you can download here
3dsthem.es/
And I use the app suggested in this guide
gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-a-custom-theme-to-your-3-2ds.461110/

Last edited by The Catboy,

DrSkyentist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like OP is joking. However if its a genuine user then I can understand why they would want to get rid of it. If they consider it a regular 3DS and update it then it won't be fixable by a regular user. You should be able to uninstall arm9loaderhax with the SafeA9LH installer.
Not joking at all, got it, saw the hack boot screen, tried doing the research and became daunted. Thought that I could not play games online while having Luma3ds and decided that I'd just rather be rid of it. You guys are being a ton of help right now in helping me understand how to use this.

Reactions: Laroon

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

For the themes Download a app called CHMM2 https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-chmm2-custom-home-menu-manager-2.397543/ and install it with FBI
and get the themes from https://3dsthem.es/
The process is pretty straight forward but you can get errors if you don't create the system management menu data for themes or shuffled themes before you start.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not joking at all, got it, saw the hack boot screen, tried doing the research and became daunted. Thought that I could not play games online while having Luma3ds and decided that I'd just rather be rid of it. You guys are being a ton of help right now in helping me understand how to use this.
just because the 3ds is hacked doesn't mean its no longer useable as a normal 3ds. But as said above, check the wikis, read through threads around here, and I recommend learning how to best utilize it to your benefit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple