Hacking I got a flash cart I know nothing about

Cactuar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a flash cart from a guy on craigslist yesterday and I haven't tried it yet because I don't have a gba yet. It's label says XG Flash 128, it came with the linker and usb cable only, no driver/software disc to speak of.

Does anyone know about these and how they compare to the other gba flash carts?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like it is only 16 megs, I will be surprised if it works on anything newer than XP and I would also be surprised if the battery still works.

However you are a lucky bastard. There are no small number of people around here that would have snapped that up and if you are going to tell us you got this for $20 or so then someone will probably swear. It is a vintage GBA flash cart, NOR style rather than RAM and NAND. Compatibility is more or less whatever it will fit though I do not believe there is RTC on that model so you will still have to patch the pokemon clock. For an added bonus though you should now have one of the best methods of dumping GBA ROM images and saves (though I am not sure what happened as far as EEPROM saves).

Software (hopefully)
http://www.rbenda.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=410
You will probably want to flank any software you can get with GBATA and flash advance toolkit
http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm
http://www.gameboy-advance.net/rom_tools/flash_advance_toolkit.htm

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/flash_linker/gba_xg-flash.htm has some more.

Edit. Just to clarify it is not likely to replace an EZ4 or something any time soon but it is nice. You can probably use it quite well for faking GBA slot carts to unlock things for the DS (though saves might be an issue) and maybe even something with a gamecube and GC linkup cable.

Cactuar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 :) so the 128 in the name isn't representative of the storage space, it may only be a 16MB capacity if I'm understanding correctly? Also the guy claimed he was able to use it with Windows XP and 7. He said for my Windows 8.1 I may need to install VMWare. He didn't know anything about where to get the software anymore so thank you for the links. I will say though that I like how the cart's size is very close to a real gba cart and it seems to be pretty sturdy. I hope I can play Mother 3 on it but I know that's pretty much one of the biggest ROMs ever.

I used to own an EZF4 and I sold it and my AGS-101 about a year ago :( So know that the GBA bug has bitten me once again I need to get my 4 or 5th GBA. I think I want to get the non SP style this time though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I meant to say, GBA flash carts are measured in megabits so 128 megabits/8 = 16 megabytes. Mother 3 is very much 32 megabytes so that is out, however there does seem to be some disagreement as to the size XG cards could come in but I am betting on it being 16 megabytes.

If it worked on 7 then chances are it was 7's backwards compatibility mode. However yeah a VMware/virtualbox install should do for this and if you can get it small enough to transport around (and XP installs can get very small compared to modern USB drives) it might be a better idea.

Cactuar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool. and thanks for clarifying the capacity. I haven't ever used VMWare or virtualbox but I've got a couple thumbdrives that would love to have an XP install. Well so maybe I don't get to finish my Mother 3 save file yet but that's ok I think I can still have fun with it.

FAST6191 I tested it and it still saves!

jhfoCoz.jpg

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hah, now I remember why I got an SD Flash cart. I forgot they read in megabits, I was just thinking how 256 MegaBYTES didn't seem to bad on one card I had and yet it filled up so much space already, now I remember why.

I think I do remember hearing about this flash cart, it's definitely an older GBA flash cart. I think most of the old ones work fine, it's the newer ones with SD cards that had problems because they had slow down problems (Supercard) unless you got a decent one (M3).

Perhaps you can find someone who had it on here too with drivers, or maybe google the drivers?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record it was only the supercard and its clones that had slowdowns past the first attempts at GBA carts, everything else was "if it fits it will run", give or take solar/tilt/real time clock and the occasional AP patch/save patch if your client software failed to be updated, all of which amount to run this small patch and go and the same for every cart that was not a supercard or its clone.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Perhaps you can find someone who had it on here too with drivers, or maybe google the drivers?

I uploaded them to Filetrip a while ago here.

The XG Flash was my first cart. Not the greatest, but it does the job.

EDIT: Whoops! The above is just the latest software, not the drivers. I'd suggest using that along side the drivers which can be found here.

Reactions: Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I uploaded them to Filetrip a while ago here.

The XG Flash was my first cart. Not the greatest, but it does the job.

Awesome! I know what you mean. I kind of wish I kept my EFA Linker just as a backup cart cause my M3 is in really bad shape. It needs a new case and the SD reader is so messed up to the point I just stuck an Micro SD reader in it to avoid ruining it more.

Darkipod

SELL ME GBA FLASH CART
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I know what you mean. I kind of wish I kept my EFA Linker just as a backup cart cause my M3 is in really bad shape. It needs a new case and the SD reader is so messed up to the point I just stuck an Micro SD reader in it to avoid ruining it more.

You should just sell it to me, or work out a trade, I have quite a few carts now...

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You should just sell it to me, or work out a trade, I have quite a few carts now...

Unless you're trading me a better shape M3, nope. I'm not downgrading from my M3.

If you were to have it, basically you'd probably need a new case (or repair the current one somehow) And to fix the SD card socket to stop reading so badly because one of the prongs broke off and I put a replacement one on that's still a bit skiddish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos