Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-D2B.

Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.

That means I can chip it, right? One of my brother's friends had a Wii, and I asked him to trade ours for his and he had no proble with it... and it's D2B! I really want to chip it, because I got ahold of a D2B, and because I actually have the money to buy the chip at the moment. However, I have 2 questions...

1) Im stuck between Wiikey and Cyclowiz, and I really don't know which one I want. I like Wiikey because it has really good compatibility, but I heard CycloWiz is more reliable? Didn't the Wiikey site go down for a really long time? I need one that is reliable, has updates when games don't work, and will allow me to play at least 90% of all games, and hopefully GCN backups. Do any of those do all that? From personal experience, which do you like best?

2) Once I finally get the chip, I still haven't decided if I want to do it myself or get it proffesionally done. I don't have a clue who would do it here in Las Vegas, and I checked craigslist and found nothing. Also, I doubt my dad will be okay with me giving a stranger my Wii for a day. I really have NO problem at all in doing it myself, but I don't have the tools I need, so I would have to buy them. Installing it doesn't seem too hard, but I'm just really scared because I've never soldered before.
frown.gif
Im really scared that I'll like... burn something too much or something like that. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks a lot!

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go with open source modchip. That more reliable...
Programming it can never really stop since anyone can program it.
I would go with Yaosm. That's what i'm gonna mod my wii with.

As for installing it, I would go with the wlip if your scared.
No risk in messing up the install or damaging any points.
I'm planning on order one since I messed up my install
cry.gif

I burned the pads, so now I'm off to waiting for the wlip to come in stock.

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, one advantage of going with open source is the ease of install with a wlip. The wlip comes with a socket in which the chip can slide right into. If you were to use the wlip with a cyclowiz or a wiikey, you would have to desolder the socket, and solder the wire to the chip. Honestly, I think it would be easier just to slide the chip right into the socket.

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats pretty simple. You just clip the wlip on to the chipset and your done. Makes modding your wii pretty simple.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
What are Yaosms features? Does it play GCN backups, imports, etc etc? Dairantou Smash?

EDIT: Wow... not only is Wlip sold out, it's 25euros, which is like... around 50 bucks, right? I think I'd rather take my chances with soldering a Cyclo.

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yaosm is loaded with features. This link will tell you everything you would need to know about Yaosm. Yaosm Features
And if you want to go with cyclowiz thats a good choice. That was my first choice when I decided on choosing a modchip. But good luck finding a retailer that has it in stock. It like sold out everywhere...

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also War, you should open up your Wii to make sure that it is a D2B without cut legs and to practice. It told me I got a D2B with cut legs but I got one without cut legs.

I wouldn't trust it fully
tongue.gif

paOol

Trophies
XP
Country
if you're debating whether to get a wiikey or a cyclowiz.
go with the cyclowiz. it has everything the wiikey has PLUS you can choose to install an on/off switch and you can temporarily disable the modchip by holding reset when u turn on the wii.

also, you should consider that the wiikey's website got shut down (im not saying their not around), and that the legit copy of brawl was working on the cyclowiz and the D2C in japan, the wiikey did not work and required an update (took a couple of days). the cyclowiz costs a little more, but its definitely worth it.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if I choose to go with one of those, I'm going with a Cyclo.

I was thinking maybe there is a trusted person in GBATemp that does these kinds of things, and I can just ship them my Wii and they'll mod it for me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: