I give up....Mario Hoops sucks

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by HugeCock, Oct 6, 2006.

Oct 6, 2006
  1. HugeCock
    OP

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Well boy oh boy did I want to beat Mario Hoops but the suckyness....just overwhelms me. I got to the Squaresoft guys on hard mode and that was a gamble in itself...not a challenge....a gamble meaning scoreing...then keeping the ball away form the opponent till the timer runs out. On hard mode I have shot 30 balls and sunk 2.....meanwhile the opponent shoots 200 balls and misses 5....wtf? Meanwhile this should have been Hoops 1 0n 1 cause the other charcters on my team are licking their balls while I am trying to play. I am halfway across the court and my teammate is just staring at the ball bounce by. I try to switch characters and its nowhere near as quick the computer who grabs the ball and dunks. meanwhile I am struggleing to get by and the computer hits me with red shell, blue shell, stars, and lightning and immediatly shoots and scores. Wait....then I try and pass....these guys aren't screwing around...you need to be fast...a quick diagnal swipe....wait..and instead of a pass I do a long half way court shoot....Not to mention how hard it is for ME to steal meanwhile they are kicking my ass left and right...oh and then the stupid....the more money I have the more gets knocked out of my hands when I get my ass kicked....I don't normally whine about games....if I suck, I suck...but I think this is the first major release on the DS to truley suck. I hate giving up but I don't feel challenged....just like I am gambleing....thats my rant...time to try starfox or megaman

2. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    I completely agree with you, I bought the game, it's just so freaking frustrating. I tried to play for 2 minutes earlier today and thought "sod it, this sucks".

I'm trading my copy in tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I like it but I'd rather beat my meat

4. hey_suburbia

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
    I loved this game.

Beat the Japanese version on hard the 2nd day I downloaded it.

5. m_babble

Member m_babble The Bad Boy of Good Behavior

United States
    That Final Fantasy team is unreasonably hard.
    Everything leading to them is whatever.
    I don't think too much of this game either.

6. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    If you're not man enough to beat a mario *anything* game, you don't deserve to play Nintendo. [​IMG]

I fonestly would like to know where this "game is too hard" meme started, because it was about as hard as Mario Land 2.

7. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    It wouldn't be so frustrating if your teammates actually did anything...

8. HugeCock
    OP

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Yea the teammates not doing anything really sucks and changing players....I believe its holding L and swiping toward the character? Well it sometimes sends you to the wrong character meanwhile the opponent runs and dunks. If your not on the Square team hardcore its instant dunks for them. Like I said the shooting system...which I believe is a simple up motion for me....I barley ever make a shot...charging for me takes longer than the computer due to I believe the DS having to register me stopping and then holding down on the touchpad. The game is not even hard....like i said its not even challenging...to me it seems like luck. This can be said for almost any Mario Game "OMG I got hit with a blue shell at the finish line ala MarioKart" but there is still skill in driving as Hitto would know =). This applies even to racing against bots. In Hoops the bot runs up and knocks you silly, steals your ball and scores before I can even get up. Stealing for me...well this is the first time I have seen the down side of the stylus. The swipe motion sucks....just my opinon...glad to see some others agree with me.

9. Hitto

France
    The other team mates doing nothing, I agree that does suck. But the biggest flaw in this game is no wifi play. HugeCock, I can only tell you "gambatte!"
    You need fighting spirit! YOU ARE SUPERIOR TO A MERE HANDHELD CONSOLE AND YOU KNOW IT!

10. lurker

Newcomer lurker Member

"Keeping the ball away from the opponent before the timer runs out"

What? No 24 second shot rule?

11. Ragone

Newcomer Ragone Advanced Member

United States
    I hate how the game focuses on collecting stupid coins instead of the actually game of BASKETBALL which it should be.

12. thejanitor

Newcomer thejanitor Member

United States
    I think you guys have convinced me to not play this game.

13. Hitto

France
    Well, I'm not gonna sell it to you, but multiplayer is where it shines. Apparently, some people find it too hard against the computer, but multiplayer ROCKS. You only need one card to run MARIO DEATHMATCH, which makes the whole game worth buying IMO.
    Sadly, one card per player if you want to play basketball.

14. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thats a good idea.

I dont mind the game, but it could have been alot better.
    Take the coins out, make your teamates DO somthing other than stand around, take the items out, mabey a little easier controls, make it wifi, and youd have yourself a decent game.

15. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
  16. KillerMiller

Newcomer KillerMiller Advanced Member

Germany
    The biggest problem with the game I had was, its simply boring after some matches, I normaly play every Nintendo made first party game until dead but Mario Hoops left me cold, there is no spirit in this game.

17. SYN7HOR

Newcomer SYN7HOR Advanced Member

Sweden
    The concept of the game looks good on paper, but it just isn't very fun.

18. monkeymachine

Member monkeymachine GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I dig the 3D graphics in the game especially compared to Resident Evil and MechAssault.. yuck

For some reason, I can't seem to shoot properly on my DS Lite, however on the DS Phat it seems to work, even tried calibrating the screen

19. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    I actually thought this game was pretty decent., but the Square-Enix characters being basketball gods was a bit unfair. The coins giving you more points was also stupid IMO, I usually play with it off.

Bah, now that I think about it, this game didn't make any sense at all, but I atleast I enjoyed it more than Smash Football [​IMG]

20. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    actually I beat the whole game (with gold on every cup including hard). Yes ti is hard but it is DOABLE. just make sure u get 150-180 points for first half. then all u gotta do is get 20-50 points in the later half and hog the ball as much as possible.

the team i used was: browser, white mage, mario

Browser and mario are reallly good in stealing the balls and white mage for shooting from long range. mario is good for lay ups. the only way to steal a ball is through jump and stomp... do not try to wack the ball to steal it,it will NEVER work. only do the barrier near the basket. always jump and stomp near the question-marked boxes so that it will hit the CPU when they try to get coins. try to get 30+ coins and score. Never try to get 100 coins because the CPU will easily steal ur ball and get 20 of ur coins when u drop them and score.

The only reward u get after beating Gold in ranbow cup hard mode is ninja custom clothes. I stopped playing after i beat it. I never want to play that cup to try to get gold again lol. once is enough :S

when u get a star do ur special near the basket.
    when you see a lightening bolt, go under it and do a special. while u jump around with the ball initiating the special, you will hit ht elightening bolt and all the CPU will fall for sometime leaving u time to finish the special.
    if you're running out of time, do the dunk with 10 extra coins.
    if u don't want to do special and the CPU has a lot of coins in their possession, hit them while u have a star to get all or most of their coins then dunk it before the time runs out.