I found japanese console , should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by patientx, Mar 12, 2007.

Mar 12, 2007
  1. patientx
    OP

Newcomer patientx Advanced Member

Turkey
    OK guys I decided to buy wii at least got the money too and I live in Turkey so we are in pal terrority , but it seems it would not be possible to play every ntsc u/j game in pal consoles even with converting etc. I found a guy who got a jap console and thinking about buying it . My questions are ,

Does wiikey and the free solutions /chiip etc./ work on it ?
    Is the menus/etc on the japanese wii only japanese or can I change it to english ?
    Can I play US titles with this easily -to be clear , is ntsc-u -> ntsc-j always works ?- ?
    I know wii 's origin is japan and pal only got what the developers select for us from the us/j titles , so I dont really need to play pal games on it so its no big deal but, for curiosity can I play PAL games with the j console ?

Thanks.

2. laurenz

Member laurenz GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Most modchips do work on all region Wii's.
    Although i don't know if all NTSC games will work even though you got a japanese. Mainly because in the USA the standard is 60 Hz but in Europe it's often 50 Hz but if you got a newer TV that supports 60 Hz or higher all things should work fine.
    Im not expert in this area, so i could be completely wrong. But in that case i hope someone corrects me.

3. patientx
    OP

Turkey
    I plan to buy wiikey or build my own so these two are important to me , do they work on jap wii ? I wont be using a TV I will use a tv card to play on my lcd [​IMG] And also if I were to use a TV our Tv's here supports both ntsc and pal.

I especially need answers for my other questions. Help please. Thanks.

4. moloko23

Member moloko23 GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    here you can see the Wii Region Free Patcher Compatibility List:

gbatemp wiki

5. patientx
    OP

Turkey
    Thanks I have already seen that, my problem is there isnt a ntsc-u -> ntsc-j compability list ... [​IMG] I only need confirmation that ntsc-u -> ntsc-j conversions are as compatible as ntsc-j ->ntsc-u .... )

6. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    They are. But I think the console's firmware is JPN only ... :/

7. patientx
    OP

Turkey
  8. auyongtc

Newcomer auyongtc Member

United States
    I own a Japanese console, and with wiikey installed since last Friday. Working well since, but I use mainly NTSC-U backups. It works quite well... a few quirks though...

Rayman NTSC-U won't work (but that's coz some people said it won't work on 480p), but Rayman PAL worked on this console at 480p [​IMG]

Sonic NTSC-U started up in Japanese language, but can be changed in the game options to English.

Red Steel NTSC-U will only give u Japanese text, coz it detected Japanese console, no way I found to change this to English. Weird.

9. neo_strut

Newcomer neo_strut Newbie

Malaysia
    i'm also thinking to get a Jap console because of budget...but if the GUI is in Jap, i can't read
    [​IMG]

is there a patch?