Hacking I found a r4i gold 3ds rts card, but is it legit ?

sirben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hey guys I tried looked around for sellers selling r4 cards and found someone claiming that he has one r4i gold 3ds rts, is it legit ? I've noticed that there is a label that states the version of the card, but everything else seems pretty much the same.
View attachment 96909

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well tbh the label doesn't give any kind of guarantee. most r4 clone cards have the same shell, even if they are fakes. So the guy could have just taken the label off an r4i gold card and put it on a cheap r4 he has lying around.

I'm no expert but I think if you wanted more clarity on this then you'd need to see more pictures, like if there is a code printed on the pcb near the pins that might indicate it's legitimacy for example. (best check to see what others have said about the seller before you think of buying)

That being said, the print on that label doesn't look great, and also looks like that card says "RT5" and not "RTS", it could just be the image quality but depending on how much it's being sold for I'd say buy from a trusted seller like nds-card.com
20130824061244-7a66ce8b.jpg

Reactions: sirben

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3ds-flashcard.com sells originals and ships from the us.
I've heard hit n miss results with that site, but I haven't heard of them selling fake carts. So you can trust the cart is legit, but be wary of them

Jerrysdkgf159

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The label states v6.1. It is the old version of r4i gold 3ds card, not the latest version. It might not work on high firmware version of 3DS

sirben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The label states v6.1. It is the old version of r4i gold 3ds card, not the latest version. It might not work on high firmware version of 3DS
Is that true? To which firmware version can it mod to?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

URL checks out, what site did you find it on?
Hi Lilith! I found it on https://carousell.com/. It's a site similar to craiglist,just that it's more popular here than craiglist is

well tbh the label doesn't give any kind of guarantee. most r4 clone cards have the same shell, even if they are fakes. So the guy could have just taken the label off an r4i gold card and put it on a cheap r4 he has lying around.

I'm no expert but I think if you wanted more clarity on this then you'd need to see more pictures, like if there is a code printed on the pcb near the pins that might indicate it's legitimacy for example. (best check to see what others have said about the seller before you think of buying)

That being said, the print on that label doesn't look great, and also looks like that card says "RT5" and not "RTS", it could just be the image quality but depending on how much it's being sold for I'd say buy from a trusted seller like nds-card.com
20130824061244-7a66ce8b.jpg
Hey Rasa, thanks for the info. The seller has sold 3ds consoles and accessories before and has gotten good feedback from previous buyers. When you said "a code printed on the pcb near the pins" As a newbie I'm not quite sure what pcb means, if it's not too much trouble could you tell where the pcb actually is ? And for the code how do I know if it's a legit code or does a legit r4 automatically has a code and fake ones don't ?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Rasa, thanks for the info. The seller has sold 3ds consoles and accessories before and has gotten good feedback from previous buyers. When you said "a code printed on the pcb near the pins" As a newbie I'm not quite sure what pcb means, if it's not too much trouble could you tell where the pcb actually is ? And for the code how do I know if it's a legit code or does a legit r4 automatically has a code and fake ones don't ?

PCB is "printed circuit board". it's the actual card itself, the bit with the pins on it that sits inside the plastic shell. Sometimes there is a code printed on the exposed part of the pcb above the pins, usually to mark what version the card is (like how there are different models of pcb for the gateway blue card, even though they all count as the same card)

It was just as suggestion and there might not actually be anything like that on the r4i gold card. But if cards are commonly faked then the makers of the original might add codes and checks to tell you if the card you bought is real or not. Acekard2i did this with the later revision of their card because people started selling fake acekard2i's.

Here's a look at the pcb's for a few different r4i cards (I don't think these are the 3ds version, but just an example). Something like the white text on the blue pcb is what I wasw talking about (it would be visible even wit the plastic shell on.
10916207-comparison-r4i-ultra-and-r4i-gold-2.jpg
I believe this one is the pcb for an r4i gold 3ds rts
R4IDSCN-Chip.jpg

It's most likely legit, but just thought I'd give you a bit more info on pcb's and how you can identify them. If you buy that card then when you get it you should be able to see the small "C" in the bottom right when you flip it over and look at the back.

sirben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
PCB is "printed circuit board". it's the actual card itself, the bit with the pins on it that sits inside the plastic shell. Sometimes there is a code printed on the exposed part of the pcb above the pins, usually to mark what version the card is (like how there are different models of pcb for the gateway blue card, even though they all count as the same card)

It was just as suggestion and there might not actually be anything like that on the r4i gold card. But if cards are commonly faked then the makers of the original might add codes and checks to tell you if the card you bought is real or not. Acekard2i did this with the later revision of their card because people started selling fake acekard2i's.

Here's a look at the pcb's for a few different r4i cards (I don't think these are the 3ds version, but just an example). Something like the white text on the blue pcb is what I wasw talking about (it would be visible even wit the plastic shell on.
10916207-comparison-r4i-ultra-and-r4i-gold-2.jpg
I believe this one is the pcb for an r4i gold 3ds rts
R4IDSCN-Chip.jpg

It's most likely legit, but just thought I'd give you a bit more info on pcb's and how you can identify them. If you buy that card then when you get it you should be able to see the small "C" in the bottom right when you flip it over and look at the back.
Thanks Rasa for the very detailed explanation ! I have told the seller to picture the card from the front again and also the back.
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-28 at 11.11.54 PM.jpeg
r4 front.jpg

Definitely see a print near the pin but not sure if it's a C

Yes, you can check it on r4ids.cn site. I do not know which firmware version, guess around 6.1
I have checked the website and saw that there is an updater. http://r4ids.cn/r4ids-e.htm It explains it at the bottom. But am not sure if the updater allows my card to run the latest firmware as am not sure if there's hardware limitation to my specific r4 card

sirben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It's a D version, so it should be fine. (D got later renamed C again)
Oh so it's the same thing ? And the updater is able to allow the card to update so it is compatible with the latest 3ds firmware ? If so I'm banking in my money to the seller by tomorrow :D

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh so it's the same thing ? And the updater is able to allow the card to update so it is compatible with the latest 3ds firmware ? If so I'm banking in my money to the seller by tomorrow :D
Kinda. There was an update where you had to cut wires for non-RTS Revision C cards in order to make them run on 6.1 or something. Revision D fixed it (and later became C RTS). It should be updateable for the latest FW (if it doesn't work with it out of the box).

sirben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hey guys I just got the card today,and was able to boot it up after updating the kernel ! I have tested it with mario 64 ds and it works just fine.
Now I want to use it for ntrboothax. But before I begin I would like to know if there are any precautions that I can take if my card bricks. Can I backup my card and restore it if it gets bricked ?

Here are images of the card including the board !
front 2.jpeg

Front.jpeg

back.jpeg

board.jpeg

This is what shows up when I insert the Card
game.jpeg

And is there a possibility my 3ds gets bricked in the process? If so how can I prevent this ?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey guys I just got the card today,and was able to boot it up after updating the kernel ! I have tested it with mario 64 ds and it works just fine.
Now I want to use it for ntrboothax. But before I begin I would like to know if there are any precautions that I can take if my card bricks. Can I backup my card and restore it if it gets bricked ?

Here are images of the card including the board !
View attachment 98435
View attachment 98436
View attachment 98437
View attachment 98438

This is what shows up when I insert the Card
View attachment 98439

And is there a possibility my 3ds gets bricked in the process? If so how can I prevent this ?
If your card bricks, you should be able to restore it with the original firmware that's available in 3ds.guide but you'll need a hacked 3DS to do so.
Generally if you have a second hacked 3DS it's safer to install ntrboot from that with the multiple system method, rather than using the .nds to install, as you can dump your own flashcart firmware (which may differ from the ones in 3ds.guide), as well as restore the card if it bricks.
But it shouldn't brick.

And even if your 3DS bricked (which is highly unlikely), with ntrboot you can unbrick it.

sirben

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If your card bricks, you should be able to restore it with the original firmware that's available in 3ds.guide but you'll need a hacked 3DS to do so.
Generally if you have a second hacked 3DS it's safer to install ntrboot from that with the multiple system method, rather than using the .nds to install, as you can dump your own flashcart firmware (which may differ from the ones in 3ds.guide), as well as restore the card if it bricks.
But it shouldn't brick.

And even if your 3DS bricked (which is highly unlikely), with ntrboot you can unbrick it.
Hi Jdbye thank you for the reply ! I do have another already hacked 3ds so I'll try to do the multiple system method, sorry for the newbie question but how exactly do I dump my own flashcart firmware and restore it later if it gets bricked ? Is there a program to this ? Or the ntrboothax installation process already has it ? And are they any video guides to do the multifamily ntrboothax method cause I only found the single console ntrboothax method. Thanks again Jdbye !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.