Hardware I formated my 2ds while transfering data and I still have the SD intact - would like to re-homebrew

berwood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I just bought a new 2ds xl and I wanted to transfer the data from my old 2ds to it. But I also wanted to keep my 2ds homebrew with all of my simulators and games (I do not wish to homebrew the n2dsxl). I did it the wrong way and I ended up formatting my old 2ds (although the SD card files were not touched, especially since I opted for a computer SD->micro SD transfer when I realized I had fucked up so I could at least keep something in case it was important).

Long story short, my 2ds is completely whiped, BUT its SD card still has everything intact. So I was wondering whether I just have to completely whipe my SD card and homebrew it again OR, since my files are ok, if there's a quicker way to re-install homebrew channel, fbi, the simulators, the games I used to have, etc.

Here are my SD card files so you can see the things I had installed:
upload_2021-8-19_14-31-10.png

Keep in mind I know nothing about this stuff, I just homebrewed it following dummy-proff guides for every step, so if you know how to solve my problem please, if you would be so kind, explain things step by step.

Thank you for your attention in advance!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought a new 2ds xl and I wanted to transfer the data from my old 2ds to it. But I also wanted to keep my 2ds homebrew with all of my simulators and games (I do not wish to homebrew the n2dsxl). I did it the wrong way and I ended up formatting my old 2ds (although the SD card files were not touched, especially since I opted for a computer SD->micro SD transfer when I realized I had fucked up so I could at least keep something in case it was important).

Long story short, my 2ds is completely whiped, BUT its SD card still has everything intact. So I was wondering whether I just have to completely whipe my SD card and homebrew it again OR, since my files are ok, if there's a quicker way to re-install homebrew channel, fbi, the simulators, the games I used to have, etc.

Here are my SD card files so you can see the things I had installed:
View attachment 273480

Keep in mind I know nothing about this stuff, I just homebrewed it following dummy-proff guides for every step, so if you know how to solve my problem please, if you would be so kind, explain things step by step.

Thank you for your attention in advance!
Nope keys have changed your going to have to wipe and start over

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you have a NAND backup you can restore to, you probably lost access to your installed titles since they are encrypted to that specific NAND.

berwood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
god i homebrewed it less than a month ago it's so tedious i want to cry... thank you for answering though!

Unless you have a NAND backup you can restore to, you probably lost access to your installed titles since they are encrypted to that specific NAND.

I think I was told to make one at some point in one tutorial and did so, how do I check that I have it?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I was told to make one at some point in one tutorial and did so, how do I check that I have it?

Depend when it was made, if it was made with no game installed then no point, the NAND backup would allow you to gain access to your encrypted content if the data on the NAND match with what installed on the Nintendo folder.

Reactions: CoolMe

berwood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Depend when it was made, if it was made with no game installed then no point, the NAND backup would allow you to gain access to your encrypted content if the data on the NAND match with what installed on the Nintendo folder.

I think i made it mid-process, when i had installed a couple of games even some simulators but not each and every one. I don't mind if I don't have my games' saves since I wasn't in the middle of playing any of them. If I can save myself from re-installing each and every game and program i'd be cool.

how do i check if i have the NAND file?

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i made it mid-process, when i had installed a couple of games even some simulators but not each and every one. I don't mind if I don't have my games' saves since I wasn't in the middle of playing any of them. If I can save myself from re-installing each and every game and program i'd be cool.

how do i check if i have the NAND file?
If it's still on your sd card, it should be in the OUT folder that is inside the GM9 folder. It should be a sysnand.bin file.

berwood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
you can check your gm9/out folder to see if you have any NAND backup file that match with your unit

section VII

If it's still on your sd card, it should be in the OUT folder that is inside the GM9 folder. It should be a sysnand.bin file.

no luck! (see image). thank you all for your help and kindness, i'll just have to accept that i have to homebrew it all over again!

upload_2021-8-19_15-7-13.png

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no luck! (see image). thank you all for your help and kindness, i'll just have to accept that i have to homebrew it all over again!

View attachment 273484
When you first installed CFW, using the guide, it asks you to make a nand backup along with 2 other files, and copy them to a "safe place on your PC". If you've followed the steps carefully, you should have one, just try to remember where you've put the files on your PC.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is problematic in this case since a System Transfer was involved. Normally KeyY can be restored with CTRTransfer Type D9. Your previous movable.sed might still be in the embedded essentials backup.

Restoring the NAND (or the movable.sed) after using System Transfer is not the smartest idea if you plan to use the old device online.

If the transfer went through, your old SD content should now work on the N2DSXL (legit content only of course).

I hope you realize that advising somebody throwing away their data ("wipe") as first step will lead to losing this data forever. Please at least mention backing up the old data before formatting the SD. "Nope" or "No" are not the answers to every question.

There are possibilities for this as well -- like Faketik.

berwood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
When you first installed CFW, using the guide, it asks you to make a nand backup along with 2 other files, and copy them to a "safe place on your PC". If you've followed the steps carefully, you should have one, just try to remember where you've put the files on your PC.

There are possibilities for this as well -- like Faketik.

yes, i do have those files on my PC! although given the date they were created, i had not installed any game or simulator, only the basic homebrew programs. so they won't do me much good, given what @Hayato123 said

I hope you realize that advising somebody throwing away their data ("wipe") as first step will lead to losing this data forever. Please at least mention backing up the old data before formatting the SD. "Nope" or "No" are not the answers to every question.

don't worry, the first thing i did before even making this thread was making a copy of all of my SD contents just in case, so all is well

Restoring the NAND (or the movable.sed) after using System Transfer is not the smartest idea if you plan to use the old device online.
i do plan to play online, so i guess that means i should just start over, right? again, i don't mind losing my data as there wasn't much to lose in the first place, i was mainly trying to save myself from having to homebrew the whole thing all over again

Reactions: assassinz

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your system is still running on cfw. Just use faketik to see if the icons come back or reinstall the cia files of FBI, Anemone, Homebrew, Universall App, etc and they should show up on your home screen. You'll have to install all the games you previously had, and save files if you can. You can't use your previous NNID anymore on the old console either.

Last edited by assassinz,

berwood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Your system is still running on cfw. Just use faketik to see if the icons come back or reinstall the cia files of FBI, Anemone, Homebrew, Universall App, etc and they should show up on your home screen. You'll have to install all the games you previously had, and save files if you can. You can't use your previous NNID anymore on the old console either.

so I ended up doing something along these lines and it worked and was an easy fix!

in case anyone has this very specific problem in the future, this is what i did:
- i followed this tutorial www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_mVyxYGmow to reinstall the main programs to my home screen
- i reinstalled the games. For NDS games i didn't even have to touch the computer, i did it through the homebrew launcher and all of my data was there. For GBA and 3DS games I had to go through the installing process using the computer again, though.

thank you to everyone who helped on this thread, you guys are amazing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.