Hardware I fixed my L Joycon the weirdest way

v18281

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
both of my sticks started drifting after i jerked them very hard trying to put on some caps. i fixed them by disassembling the analogue sticks following this guide https://www.instructables.com/id/Nintendo-Joycon-Drift-Fix-Not-Software-Related/ . the internals of the analogue sticks have a few small loose parts so i guess they got misalligned when i jerked them. i guess if this is your problem then hitting it on the ground might realign those parts. for other people it might be because of dirt so then you would have to wipe the internals. disassembling the analogue stick is very tricky though. i broke the metal caseings twice and had to tape them.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've fixed hard drives in a similar way, well when I say fixed..... While it was trying to spin up I gave it a slap and I was able to get the data off them.

Last edited by smf,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not a great fix. If you want a fix that's more likely to last, here's one:
I've fixed hard drives in a similar way, well when I say fixed..... While it was trying to spin up I gave it a slap and I was able to get the data off them.
And likely cause more damage in the process. You were lucky you were able to get the data off.
Next time try putting the drive in the freezer. I hear it works, but it'll only work for a few minutes obviously since it heats back up quickly. Stick some ice packs on it and maybe it'll work long enough to get all the data off it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Next time try putting the drive in the freezer. I hear it works, but it'll only work for a few minutes obviously since it heats back up quickly. Stick some ice packs on it and maybe it'll work long enough to get all the data off it.

The place that I worked didn't have a freezer, besides I wouldn't want to risk condensation in the drive. The drive head was parked & drives can tolerate more shock then.

Once the motor spun up then the drive was fine.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The place that I worked didn't have a freezer, besides I wouldn't want to risk condensation in the drive. The drive head was parked & drives can tolerate more shock then.

Once the motor spun up then the drive was fine.
You would think so, but I once broke an external drive just by gently dropping it onto my bed while it was unplugged. Didn't fail right away but it started being moody and would randomly "disconnect" from my Wii in the middle of a game or have trouble being recognized. Was still able to use it for a few months until it failed completely and the data was unrecoverable.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You would think so, but I once broke an external drive just by gently dropping it onto my bed while it was unplugged. Didn't fail right away but it started being moody and would randomly "disconnect" from my Wii in the middle of a game or have trouble being recognized. Was still able to use it for a few months until it failed completely and the data was unrecoverable.

As soon as a hard drive starts acting up then you should ditch it entirely, getting the data off by any means necessary. I had one that would only work if I put it on top of a portable air conditioning unit.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As soon as a hard drive starts acting up then you should ditch it entirely, getting the data off by any means necessary. I had one that would only work if I put it on top of a portable air conditioning unit.
I know, but it was just Wii games so it wasn't exactly important data.

Matt7402

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI got my joycon back today from Nintendo and works perfect. They repaired the left thumb stick and the locking mechanism. Pretty easy process.

Matt7402

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI got my joycon back today from Nintendo and works perfect. They repaired the left thumb stick and the locking mechanism. Pretty easy process.

TheDukeOfNukem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I fixed my old right one a while back by ripping the coating (whatever you call the grip layer) off the stick and realigning it. Supposedly if a bit of old skin or dirt or whatever gets in there it can be fickle enough that that may throw it off a bit. Worked for me anyway, so I'm happy. Prior to that, the bloody thing would drag a bit up or down occasionally, started right after the warranty ended so I coped for a while until I heard about this method and it worked fine. Go figure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name in chat :ninja: