Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please explain it to me like I am 5.

How does it work?

Does the wii boot automatically into it? or do i have to hold a button when the wii starts up to start boot2?

What are the advantages of having boot2?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Every Wii has boot2, otherwise it wouldn't load. The boot order (at least I understand it) is:
boot0->boot1->BootMii->boot2->SM IOS->Priiloader->System Menu

The parts in red are optional and depend on what you can install. Bootmii (as boot2) is loaded when boot2 would be loaded, then (if not interrupted) loads the real boot2. Priiloader does the same thing, but it loads part of the System Menu.

I know this isn't really an answer to your question, but I don't know enough about boot2 to answer it in detail. I do think that this will give a basic setting for someone else to explain it.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
The advantage to having bootmii installed to boot2 is that if your wii can in fact have it installed and it does have it installed, it does allow you to be able to recover from any type of a wii file system brick. Boot2 loads before the system menu, and boot2 is always present unless you have some major crazy unexplainable screw up happens (really almost never happens. its rare chances and you dont ever need to worry about it)

Bootmii installs itself into boot2 and it tricks boot1 into thinking that it is the most recent boot2 version. It does this by the fact that there is a possible 3 spots that bootmii can be written on to the NAND, all between working blocks 1-7 (when you consider that the first block is block 0). Normally boot2 is written in blocks 1 and 2, and also blocks 7 and 6... and I say that in reverse because the placement of the blocks is in reverse. But there is also the possibility for boot2 to be written in block 3 and 4, and thats where bootmii gets installed.

I don't know/forget the details, but somehow bootmii in boot2 tricks boot1 into thinking that bootmii in boot2 is the most recent version of boot2, so boot1 launches bootmii instead of the normal boot2.

ok, that was a long winded post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.