I don't know what happened to my DS Fire Card

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by VMS, Jul 30, 2008.

Jul 30, 2008
  1. VMS
    OP

Newcomer VMS Newbie

Canada
    It worked fine, and then I deleted some games, and maybe, I don't know for sure but something definitely went wrong, I deleted some "vital files" as well by mistake (although the DS System folder was left untouched).
    After this, when I tapped on the menu option, I got an error message involving xmenu.dat, so I downloaded the firmware from the DS Fire Link website (which is so very helpful for anyone who doesn't speak Chinese btw) and tried my best to put it to use, but regardless of where I copied the new xmenu.dat file, the menu option still wouldn't start, and now I just get a blank white screen instead of the Error message. Is there any way to "restore" the card to the state that I received it in, or at least a way to fix this situation.
    Thank you in advance; any answer would be helpful.

2. leinad

Member leinad GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    As you already mentioned you have deleted the xmenu.dat~
    The xmenu.dat has to be at the root of the card.

Every firmware has its own xmenu.dat, you cant use xmenu.dat from 2.51 on firmware 2.52.

If you own the USB-To-GBA-Card you can see the UDISK version while filetransfering on the display of your DS.
    Then search for that number in the download database (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?dlcategory=51 , btw there are more pages...) , download the archive and copy the xmenu.dat of that archive to your card.

3. VMS
    OP

Newcomer VMS Newbie

Canada
    If in USB mode it says "USB DISK V1.45", that's the firmware's version right? I downloaded the 1.45 firmware both from this site (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=787) and from dsfirelink.com, and I have pasted the xmenu.dat file straight onto the card (i.e. not in the DSystem folder or anywhere else) and it still won't work.
    How should the contents of a workable card look like?
    My DSYSTEM folder contains the following files"
    -GLOBAL.INI
    -LASTSAVE.SDB
    -SAVETYPE>SDB
    -SYSTEM.SDB
    and "at the root" I have the xmenu.dat file that I've just downloaded

(+a folder with games)

4. VMS
    OP

Newcomer VMS Newbie

Canada
    Nevermind. I followed the advice I found on another website:
    and now it works!
    the xmenu.dat is from here though, and it's a newer firmware, so thanks to whoever uploaded it.
    Thanks leinad.