Hacking I dont get it...Slot 2 tricking devices...?

RoboClover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before i asked about some methods of running my EZ 4 in DS mode. Since then ive basically figured out this: I need some piece of hardware or software to trick my DS into running stuff from the slot 2 (my EZ 4 cart) in slot 1. I heard of at least 4 ways to do this: Passme, Nopass, Wifime, and Flashme (part of one of the other 3?). After that im lost. I looked up passme but i havent been able to get a clear cut answer on what it is or how it it's used/installed! Is it just a bit of hardware i put in slot 1 or is there some other hardmodding i have to do? And what about the Nopass? I looked up wifime but apparently to get that to work i'll have to get a new wireless card or something. What are these things, man? What are my options? How get ahold of em? Pros/cons for em? Any extra hardmodding i'll have to do?

Sorry im just kinda frustrated that i havent been able to find any info =P. Links and all that are fine i just wanna know my options so i can use my EZ Flash 4 with my DS >.

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To use your EZ Flash 4, you need to install Flashme on your DS. You can Google Flashme and get many sites you can download it from (it's just a piece of software) and will tell you how to install it onto your DS (you will need to take off your battery cover and short out or bridge a circuit. Don't worry, it's much easier than it sounds). If you don't want to use Flashme, you can use a slot 1 device with Passme. Most of the slot 1 carts today have flashme like Cyclo, Supercard, Acekard, etc. Hope this helps.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=32250

Spaceman016

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive never had to do this, but first
1.What DS flash card are you using?
2.So you want to run nds games from your EZ4 flash card (slot 2) correct?

Give us the hardware specs and should be able to provide help.

example
I have an EZ-Flash V slot 1. so I can hold R and launch the slot1 card it will give me a option to use Passme, which is probably what your needing. But i dont use it.

edit
Oh someone bet me too it already, let us know how it goes.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're going to use the term "passthrough device" to describe any device that tricks the DS into launching from slot-2 in DS mode, which is normally not allowed by the DS firmware.

The first passthrough device was the PassMe. It required an original game cartridge that could supply the necessary initialization codes to the DS before redirecting code execution to slot-2. Then came Wifime, which merely acted as a wireless PassMe using the Download Play functionality of the DS combined with certain brands of wireless cards for the PC. The DS would download a modified Super Mario 64 DS Download Play image which would then redirect code execution to slot-2. Both the PassMe and WifiMe stopped working after DS firmware 3.

After firmware 4 came out, the PassMe2 was developed which had to be programmed for an exact game you had and required your slot-2 device to have SRAM (locking out the most popular device at the time, the GBA Movie Player). This, like the PassMe, stuck out quite a bit from the DS and was cumbersome to use.

Then came the NoPass, which greatly simplified the process. NoPass devices are the size of regular DS game cartridges and don't require anything else to work. Pop in the NoPass, boot the DS, and it automatically boots your slot-2 device in DS mode. There are several varieties of NoPass devices, including the Superkey, PassCard 3, Max Media Launcher, and even the Action Replay DS if you hold Select upon bootup. See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/NoPass for some more brands.

Throughout this entire time, there was FlashMe. FlashMe is a replacement firmware for the DS that you can install if you'd like. The main advantage is that once installed, you no longer need a passthrough device to boot a slot-2 device in DS mode. However, it is a slightly risky process, so you should do some research into the installation if you plan to do it. The main caveat is that you must be able to boot your slot-2 device in DS mode at least once in order to install FlashMe in the first place. In my case, I bought my Superkey for $20, used it once to install FlashMe, then set it aside. The only time I ever use it now is for flashing my friends' DS systems (they like it since FlashMe also removes the Health and Safety warning screen).

Most slot-1 devices nowadays (R4, Supercard DS, DSTT, CycloDS Evolution, etc) contain built-in NoPass functionality that you can use if you need to. So you can either play $20 for a NoPass or spend a little bit extra and get a full-fledged slot-1 device that would expand your game-playing capability plus act as a NoPass on the side. The choice is yours.

RoboClover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhh. Thanks so much, i think i get it now.

As for hardware, i have one of those old grey DS's so heavy that you could murder someone with it, an EZ Flash 4 cart, and a 2gb micro sd card.

I could probably use a Passme 1 or wifime as i have an older model DS but those seem like too much work really...

Flashme sounded nice until you mentioned the needing a passthrough device for a one time use...i guess thats what they meant by having a friend with one. So for that option i either find someone with a nopass, borrow it and do the risky flashme operation, or pony up 20 bucks for one and do the same. Right?

As for just getting something like an R4...that sounds like the way to go but im not sure. Expand my gaming capabilities by how much? Could i get like a pro/con for a EZ4 in conjunction with a Nopass/flahsme Vs a straight up DS flashcart (chip?)? It kinda sounds like just an extra 10 or 20 bucks to go this way as opposed to buying a nopass, and if the benefits will be greater im good with it. Any suggestions on chips for this option? Im looking to kick around maybe up to 50 bucks depending on how good the card is and how amazing it'll make my DS.

Either way i'm pretty much totally clear on this now; it was just bugging me that i didnt know my options.

Thanks a lot guys, as always a huge help!

tenchim86

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally think the R4DS would be a great addition to your DS collection. It would allow you to use it like a NoPass as well as play NDS Roms. I have a PassCard 3 that I no longer use since I got my R4DS. If decide to go for a NoPass device other than something like the R4DS, I'll be willing to give you my PassCard 3 for free. It's being wasted just sitting on my shelf...

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AceKard2 will work as a PassMe too, isn't "outdated" (although the R4 isn't really outdated either), and is a DS flash card to boot.

About $23 shipped at www.dealextreme.com

RoboClover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AceKard looks sweet for the price. I dont want anything fancy, i just want it to play DS roms without anything like slowing or glitching and let me get decent multimedia running on it...i could care less about the cheat problems =P.

It running as a Passme is also a bonus...So if i pick one of these up will it be safe to assume i can get good size/quality vids and music playing on there (just using the card itself)? And obviously it'll play DS games on its own. And as for working as a passme...that means i'd be able to run DS games and homebrew/multimedia from my EZ card if i ever wanted to?

I honestly think i'll be picking one up, but i just wanna be sure i'm getting what ive been lookin for.

Much thanks for the suggestion DeVante!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.