djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I jumped the Gun but the price was ridiculously cheap to past by.
I bought a 2230 1tb for less then 100$. And I’m pumped to try to install it when I get my steam deck
But my God that thing is tiny .. it’s smaller then a sd card
Worst case, I will just end up with an extra overpriced 1tb drive (I already have a M.2 case)

A54B8585-911D-4AA3-B26B-2085E970EEEB.jpeg

Reactions: onibaku and Xzi

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's a pretty good deal either way. I haven't seen 1tb MicroSD cards ever go less than 100$ (at least not in Europe). I'm sure it'll come into use either way :)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered one too today, hopefully by the time it arrives from china I'll get my SD email. I was gonna go with a 1tb microsd card initially but figured it would be better to just swap out the ssd instead.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered one too today, hopefully by the time it arrives from china I'll get my SD email. I was gonna go with a 1tb microsd card initially but figured it would be better to just swap out the ssd instead.
your still q2? I am on the Q1 that became Q2 after the delay...
I am going to do a 1tb micro sd with the 1tb SSD.. as I think Im going to for ROMs and "downloaded" games on the sd and leave the SSD for just steam
make sure you check your 2230, There are some reports of non working units and if you wait too long your not able to exchange it. (and to double check the speed) I bought a enclosure to make sure it works...

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
your still q2? I am on the Q1 that became Q2 after the delay...
I am going to do a 1tb micro sd with the 1tb SSD.. as I think Im going to for ROMs and "downloaded" games on the sd and leave the SSD for just steam
make sure you check your 2230, There are some reports of non working units and if you wait too long your not able to exchange it. (and to double check the speed) I bought a enclosure to make sure it works...
Yeah, I'm the same Q1 changed to Q2. Hopefully, it will be ok as it was specifically listed as working with Steam Deck. I'll probably grab an enclosure to test it if I don't get my email by then as I don't think my motherboard supports 2230.

Now that it's officially Q2 I'm getting super excited to see if i'm lucky enough to get the email on Monday.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:tpi:

aXwFiUa.jpg

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

whoa I saw this on Reddit and my heart skipped beat.

He was updating a 64gb to 1 tb and the battery controller popped.. poster stated they made sure the battery was disconnected and pressed the power button to discharge but still short circuited....(something does not seem right )

so I can say we are blessed not to have problems...
(btw Death Standing is beautiful on 800p)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow that is bad.. I find it hard to believe he's telling the full story though. My battery connector was totally stuck so I had to swap the SSD without disconnecting it and there's minimal risk unless you do something very wrong. I'm guessing he was clumsy and shorted a connection.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly when i get my deck i'm not gonna bother upgrading the internal storage, too risky considering i can barely afford the deck to begin with and 512GB is still a decent amount of storage, I have a 1tb SD card on standby as well.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the new SSD need to be formatted in any specific way before I put it in? Or will the recovery image format it to the correct filesystem anyway?
No the recovery image reformats the drive .. ( I already formatted it to exfat to test the speed but forces another format)

Reactions: Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the "Re-image" option is designed to get you out of a major jam so it re-partitions the whole drive. Much easier than having to use a separate GParted live USB.

Last edited by subcon959,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So apparently there was a serious bug with v3 of the recovery image that would corrupt the OS after a certain number of files/folders were created or transferred to the Deck. Thankfully I hadn't yet got around to switching out the SSD before reading about that issue, and Valve have now pushed out a v4 of the recovery image which fixes it.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So apparently there was a serious bug with v3 of the recovery image that would corrupt the OS after a certain number of files/folders were created or transferred to the Deck. Thankfully I hadn't yet got around to switching out the SSD before reading about that issue, and Valve have now pushed out a v4 of the recovery image which fixes it.
It already affected me a while back, but I figured it was the new image so I went back to v1 which had worked fine before. I must've re-imaged my deck about 5 times already due to tinkering so I'm just gonna use it as intended now as a pure Steam device lol.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It already affected me a while back, but I figured it was the new image so I went back to v1 which had worked fine before. I must've re-imaged my deck about 5 times already due to tinkering so I'm just gonna use it as intended now as a pure Steam device lol.
yea sticking with SteamOS also, I have not had a major problem from any of the games I actually want to play and the KDE is a great surprise!

I wait for BETTER windows support but dual is a non issue as if I do windows it will be with the SD card.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
yea sticking with SteamOS also, I have not had a major problem from any of the games I actually want to play and the KDE is a great surprise!

I wait for BETTER windows support but dual is a non issue as if I do windows it will be with the SD card.
Yeah for my use case at least, just gaming mode plus Firefox and the discover app in desktop mode is plenty enough functionality. Those things already make it the ultimate Swiss army knife of portable gaming and entertainment. If Nintendo used to do "magic," Valve is now straight up Dr. Strange. :lol:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Upgrade to a 1TB SSD complete! Sweatiest part of the whole process was just one fucking screw on the back that stripped out as soon as began trying to turn it. Had to hunt down every single screwdriver in my house that would fit inside the hole. 1.5TB between my SSD and mSD now, super pumped to load it up with all the best games ever made.

Reactions: djpannda

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: