I dont believe in preorders

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone with me? especially on new consoles that I buy, there's always the chance of preordering something then you regret it for months to come I'd rather watch tons of youtube reviews before I make my final mind up.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Preorders are pretty horrible, actually. You're throwing tons of money at a product that isn't even finished yet. You may be hyped, sure, but just wanting the end product to be good doesn't mean it will be.

We've seen more than a few developers and publishers exploit this system for their shitty games (*cough*Gearbox*cough*Colonial Marines*cough*). Encouraging this sort of behavior is just a bad, bad idea.

Reactions: Sagat and K3Nv2

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The idea of pre-order is that you making sure you will get it once it is released. If you don't pre-order there is always the chance that you have to wait weeks even months after a product is released.

Take Wii and PS3 for example, those who didn't pre-order ended up having to wait for sometime before it is finally back at stock. In the field of economy, pre-order is beneficial for both consumer and seller; consumer that it eliminates the uncertainty of getting it on time, while seller be able to gauge the interest on a product.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't preorder, but you (the OP) is making it sound as if it's some sort of fashion statement or an act of rebellion. It's not. AFAIK, only a minority of gamers actually preorder (once again: the hardcore minority outclasses the silent masses who buy games that are available).

If anything, I'd say there should be a thread about "why DO you preorder?". I don't have to justify myself in reasons for not doing something.

But since this is a forum, I don't mind voicing those opinions:
- reviews and critical acclaim >>>>> commercial video's (and don't get me started on 'teasers' that willfully deny any information whatsoever)
- I like strolling through my local game store, reading some backs or being seduced by what that says (in combination of hearsay and the price).
- my mood for games kind of changes. Sometimes I want puzzlers, other times shooters, other times I want to relax in the couch while playing...that comes and goes on a short-term basis. I don't know months in advance if I'll feel like a game or system, no matter how awesome.
- delays and cancellations. You may get your money back, but you're not getting the interest on it the bank would have given you. And while that may be a small amount for you (one player), it adds up on the other end.
- perhaps it's me, but I wouldn't want the stuff they add to a preorder for free. Imagine if other companies would do that..."preorder your copy of windows 8 today and you'll get a free T-shirt saying how much you like the metro interface for FREE". Ugh.
-when was the last time a game or system suddenly went so popular that only the ones doing a sleep-in or preorder actually got hold of it? (note: I'm from a medium-to-large city. Of course I realise things are different if you're on a rural countryside with only a grocery market for a gaming store).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The idea of pre-order is that you making sure you will get it once it is released. If you don't pre-order there is always the chance that you have to wait weeks even months after a product is released.

Take Wii and PS3 for example, those who didn't pre-order ended up having to wait for sometime before it is finally back at stock. In the field of economy, pre-order is beneficial for both consumer and seller; consumer that it eliminates the uncertainty of getting it on time, while seller be able to gauge the interest on a product.

Actually, I waited 8 hours in the rain, and was #25 in line to get my launch Wii out of 42 consoles in-store.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only ever preordered one game and that was Super Smash Bros. Brawl (and it wasn't from GameStop ;) ), at least the only game I ever dropped the early cash on was definitely worth it.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Remember, you can always cancel your pre-order or return the product. So there should be no reason as to why people are against pre-order.

Actually, I waited 8 hours in the rain, and was #25 in line to get my launch Wii out of 42 consoles in-store.
I got my Wii 2 weeks after launch date, and I was the last one in the line managed to bought a Wii (at that time they only had 30 Wiis available).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, you can always cancel your pre-order or return the product. So there should be no reason as to why people are against pre-order.

The problem is, by the time a game's quality is widely known, it's too late - those who pre-ordered the game will have long since gotten the game in their hands. (There's exceptions with games leaking early, I suppose, but that's not something you can consistently count on).

As for returns, they are never an absolute guarantee (especially with digital copies, but even brick and mortar stores can be iffy with returns).

Look, we're talking about entertainment devices and games here. I know they're nice and fun and all that jazz, but they're not vital. Is it so hard to just hold on to your money and wait just a little bit?

Reactions: K3Nv2

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem is, by the time a game's quality is widely known, it's too late - those who pre-ordered the game will have long since gotten the game in their hands. (There's exceptions with games leaking early, I suppose, but that's not something you can consistently count on).

As for returns, they are never an absolute guarantee (especially with digital copies, but even brick and mortar stores can be iffy with returns).

Look, we're talking about entertainment devices and games here. I know they're nice and fun and all that jazz, but they're not vital. Is it so hard to just hold on to your money and wait just a little bit?

Well then don't pre-order, since it is clearly not working for you. But I don't see how pre-ordering is bad for everyone that it needs to be banned.

If you use credit card during purchase, you can invoke return protection (most credit cards have this benefit) if seller refuses return. As for digital copies if you DO bother to take the time to read terms & conditions you agreed to when you opened the account it will list its refund policy; so you should know in advance and not cry about it if refund is refused.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then don't pre-order, since it is clearly not working for you. But I don't see how pre-ordering is bad for everyone that it needs to be banned.

Good thing no one here suggested banning them in the first place.

There's moving the goalposts, and then there's relocating the entire goddamned field.

If you use credit card during purchase, you can invoke return protection (most credit cards have this benefit) if seller refuses return.

Not quite. Clauses in purchase agreements may prevent you from making a successful chargeback - this was a huge problem during the SimCity launch fiasco.

As for digital copies if you DO bother to take the time to read terms & conditions you agreed to when you opened the account it will list its refund policy; so you should know in advance and not cry about it if refund is refused.

Um, you're the one defending pre-orders here, right? Or were we supposed to switch positions here like an argumentative take on musical chairs? Because if that's the case, geez, guys, no one told me!

Reactions: McHaggis

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't believe in god, but I do pre-order a lot. Those two things are completely unrelated. The next line is written in red.
I pre-order games I know will be good or the ones I collect. Like anything Zelda, the PS3 Assassin's Creed titles or stuff like that. I never pre-order consoles though.
Today is my birthday, so I might be a little bit more silly than usual...

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't see a problem with pre-ordering games. You put money down to secure a copy, and the occasional pre-order bonus, and you can take the money off if you end up not wanting the game (If you pre-order at stores, that is). If you pre-order a game on Steam or whatever and end up not wanting it, it's your own fault for not waiting to see what it's like. You can't complain about a service they're offering just because you messed up.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Basically when you pre-order your money will just reduce the final price of the game/console you're gonna pay for, also you're granting your secure copy before they all sold out.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps you'd like to post about your favorite color too? Maybe what kind of clothes you wore today? Do you believe in wearing sandals? :rolleyes:

Congratulations, you don't preorder games. I preorder games on rare occasions when I'm just about positive I want the game (often based on leaked information) and there is a bonus for doing so. But I really doubt anybody cares when I buy the majority of my games.

Reactions: TerryG

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I believe in wearing sandals, yes. My favorite color is blue. I wore Jeans shorts and a black T-Shirt with a Happy Tree Friends character on it.

In related things, I don't see the reaosn in pre-ordering a digital product, as that can hardly sell out. Physical copies I do pre-order because, you know, merchandise and limited runs and whatnot. But digital? Nope...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn