• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,978
  • Replies 48
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
I always grew up on consoles I never had a gaming PC until last summer, and I've loved it. But I just found out that Microsoft makes it where even if you buy their games legitimately they make it where they stop working on newer Windows updates. This is complete horseshit unacceptable. When I buy a game, I should be able to play it forever that's the whole point if why I'm paying for it. I've blocked updates and been staying on Windows 10 version 1903 because of the Forza games (luckily Forza Horizon 4 just came to steam) but Horizon 3 and Forza 7 have no steam versions and I'm pretty sure Horizon 3 is already not playable on latest update, I know eventually to play new PC games they'll force me to update.

With a console you can buy the disc and play it forever and there's nothing they can do to stop it from working, but even if you buy digital you got at the very least 6-8 years of it working. Longer usually because both PS5 and Xbox Series X are both backwards compatible. So why screw over PC gamers so bad where you buy a game and can't play it in 3-4 years? Maybe most PC gamers don't care because the games are "old" but I don't look at games that way. Especially a racing game where it's still fun why would I be happy with it no longer work just to buy the new version? I've never agreed with most gamers mentality of throw out the old to make room for the new. Why not have the old and the new.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is less something you hate about PC gaming, more something you hate about Microsoft's handling of a couple specific games. 99% of stuff as far back as the DOS era is still playable assuming you know what you're doing or you can follow a tutorial. The reason PC gamers don't care about edge cases like yours is because we can just pirate/crack the games anyway. :D

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

OP
This is less something you hate about PC gaming, more something you hate about Microsoft's handling of a couple specific games. 99% of stuff as far back as the DOS era is still playable assuming you know what you're doing or you can follow a tutorial. The reason PC gamers don't care about edge cases like yours is because we can just pirate/crack the games anyway. :D

Try to crack Forza horizon 3 on latest windows updates, good luck. Your pirated games will stop working too. Even the crackers will not forever work on new methods to make games work on newer updates.

And what's to stop other companies from following Microsoft's lead?

Last edited by ,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Try to crack Forza horizon 3 on latest windows updates, good luck. Your pirated games will stop working too.

And what's to stop other companies from following Microsoft's lead?
Forza Horizon 3 was cracked five years ago according to CrackWatch. Obviously it's not gonna give you online play and all that, but any single-player components would still work.

I'd say even Microsoft knows that kind of restriction is not smart from a PR perspective, which is why they've been putting more and more games on Steam and Game Pass lately. I guess they think Forza players in specific are just more willing to shell out the cash.

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

OP
Forza Horizon 3 was cracked five years ago according to CrackWatch. Obviously it's not gonna give you online play and all that, but any single-player components would still work.

I'd say even Microsoft knows that kind of restriction is not smart from a PR perspective, which is why they've been putting more and more games on Steam and Game Pass lately. I guess they think Forza players are just more willing to shell out the cash.

Of course Forza Horizon 3 was cracked 5 years ago but it doesn't work on todays Windows Updates. That's what the point of this thread is about.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is an M$ thing, not a pc thing

Microsoft is PC. It's like saying Xbox is not Microsoft or Playstation is not Sony.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course Forza Horizon 3 was cracked 5 years ago but it doesn't work on todays Windows Updates. That's what the point of this thread is about.
Are you sure? Aren't you attempting to play the legitimate, uncracked version? I'm not going to pirate a game I have no interest in and all its updates to test the theory, but there is a very good chance the high seas version still works fine. Both Horizon 3 and 4 have a very healthy amount of seeders and leechers, so I assume all those people aren't downloading the games for nothing.

Microsoft is PC.
Microsoft is Windows, but a PC is much more than just Windows. In terms of gaming, Microsoft is just a single developer/publisher among thousands.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Deleted User

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Usually its changing from one version of windows to another that can break things not just updating the version of the same one, barring occasional unintentional bugs that get fixed. I'm also pretty sure no games that worked in 1903 have been broken by any updates. Forza Horizon 3 works fine in the latest build

Reactions: Xzi

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
With a console you can buy the disc and play the broken/unbatched/beta version of it forever lol and the data will be installed on the harddrive anyway unlike nintendo switch cartridges which reads the data from but it is still not perfect because it misses updates and dlc.

D

Deleted User

OP

Deathwing Zero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft is PC. It's like saying Xbox is not Microsoft or Playstation is not Sony.

You're quite far off the mark here. Xbox is not Microsoft, Xbox is a division of Microsoft. Playstation is a division of Sony. PC is not a "division" of Microsoft. Microsoft Windows dominates the PC OS market and that is ALL, and not by as large a margin as they once did. Linux exists and has for at least 30 years, and is quite capable of PC gaming, especially Windows only games now with Proton, and I'm sure there's more than that.

Well maybe I misunderstood but they said it was "end of life" and they stopped selling it last September, go look you can't buy it anymore. But maybe it still works for people that own it.

End of life just means they are no longer producing copies or adding content/maintaining it. Not that it doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: CTR640 and Xzi

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I always grew up on consoles I never had a gaming PC until last summer, and I've loved it. But I just found out that Microsoft makes it where even if you buy their games legitimately they make it where they stop working on newer Windows updates. This is complete horseshit unacceptable. When I buy a game, I should be able to play it forever that's the whole point if why I'm paying for it. I've blocked updates and been staying on Windows 10 version 1903 because of the Forza games (luckily Forza Horizon 4 just came to steam) but Horizon 3 and Forza 7 have no steam versions and I'm pretty sure Horizon 3 is already not playable on latest update, I know eventually to play new PC games they'll force me to update.

With a console you can buy the disc and play it forever and there's nothing they can do to stop it from working, but even if you buy digital you got at the very least 6-8 years of it working. Longer usually because both PS5 and Xbox Series X are both backwards compatible. So why screw over PC gamers so bad where you buy a game and can't play it in 3-4 years? Maybe most PC gamers don't care because the games are "old" but I don't look at games that way. Especially a racing game where it's still fun why would I be happy with it no longer work just to buy the new version? I've never agreed with most gamers mentality of throw out the old to make room for the new. Why not have the old and the new.

The main cause of it is that PC is not supposed to be only a gaming machine. People do their job, write stuffs, build stuffs, make a chart and more with it. Thus, while consoles can purely focus on running the game flawlessly, obviously gaming couldn't be the number 1 priority in PC. Although they also care about gaming a lot(which is why I suspect that the update isn't the exact cause here), If they have to break the game in order to save other functionalities, They will.

Another cause could be that PC is not just 1 specific hardware- While 1 kind of console, maybe Wii for example, has pretty much the same hardware for every units sold. PS4 has some variables- but still less than 5. You can manually optimize stuffs for each models so that you can ensure it works on every units. PC? not so much. There are thousands of possible combinations in PC, since there are various parts out there and users can choose them on demand. You don't know what your user's hardware will be(This is where the joke "It works on my machine" was born). While devs try really hard to ensure that it works on every conditions, It could fail in some rare, edge cases.

But I doubt that the update was the main cause- because It is highly unlikely that just one windows update could break your game. driver updates could make that happen though.

And, even if that's the problem, You can always revert it! unlike consoles where you don't have complete control over the system(unless you get CFW), You are the own master of your own PC. If updates break stuffs, You can revert them and decide to stay in old versions.
Similar things have happened a lot in the past- gamers decided to stay in windows 7 when 10 was released due to compatibility problems. people stayed in XP for a long time since lots of stuffs were optimized for that. People used to have(and some are still having) PC with MS-DOS or 95 installed just to play old games. You decide to update or not. "Windows is forcing me to update!" Nah, you just need to google a bit more. You can disable that.

Also, I want to say that it *rarely* happens- One single update usually doesn't and shouldn't break the game. Games from XP or even 95 era are still running with compatibility mode or even without that- Sadly you're experiencing the rare case here.

For now, If you really want your game back, I suggest you to investigate on why it really stopped working. While I doubt you can check some kind of a log, You can try to search to see if someone else are having the same problem. I'm pretty sure you can find some workarounds unless that error is so specific that it only ever happened to you.

EDIT: damn, it took me so long to write that I didn't even notice that there are already several replies! While I didn't read the entire conversation yet, I apologize If I said something thats been already mentioned before.

Last edited by KokoseiJ,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

OP
but, consoles have been doing the same thing for years...?
try to play a ps3 game on a ps4, try to play a (not backwards compatible) xbox 360 game on an xbox one
try to play a wii u game on a switch
try to play a 3ds game on a switch

D

Deleted User

OP
but, consoles have been doing the same thing for years...?
try to play a ps3 game on a ps4, try to play a (not backwards compatible) xbox 360 game on an xbox one
try to play a wii u game on a switch
try to play a 3ds game on a switch

Unless you have a Nvidia RTX 3000 series which is over a thousand dollars you'll eventually have to upgrade your PC as well. But it's true there's definitely better compatibility from the past on PC than there is on consoles no doubt about that

D

Deleted User

OP
Unless you have a Nvidia RTX 3000 series which is over a thousand dollars you'll eventually have to upgrade your PC as well. But it's true there's definitely better compatibility from the past on PC than there is on consoles no doubt about that
i have a 1080 ti and i can still play the latest games just fine, and i'm also on windows 10 20h2 and forza horizon 3 runs just fine, i don't know what kind of inconsistent nitpicking you're on about

D

Deleted User

OP
i get half of his complaint is also running old games
the only games i know that are deliberately blocked from running are games that use starforce, securom and safedisc DRMs, and even then those are easy to bypass anyway, and they're blocked on windows 7 and 8 too so whatever

but personally i have a windows xp gaming pc because old games may run fine on newer operating systems, but there's still compatability problems, not only introduced by windows 10

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get half of his complaint is also running old games
the only games i know that are deliberately blocked from running are games that use starforce, securom and safedisc DRMs, and even then those are easy to bypass anyway, and they're blocked on windows 7 and 8 too so whatever

but personally i have a windows xp gaming pc because old games may run fine on newer operating systems, but there's still compatability problems, not only introduced by windows 10

Proof that DRM is utter garbage and anti consumer. People should be able to do whatever they want with the games they bought, even if they use old DRM, copy protection laws be damned.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Two brothers and one sister.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum