In Law we trust.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Today I had a great idea, "I should see Cloverfield cause everyone says the thing is better than sex!" So started the thing up and began to watch. Here is how shit went down.

5 minutes into the film: kinda boring, but hey, it's only 5 minutes in.

10 minutes into the film: I'm feeling kinda dizzy and I'm getting a bit of a headache. Was it something I ate?

25 minutes into the film: OH GOD, THIS FUCKING CAMERA! I ALMOST BLEW CHUNKS! I have a bad headache and while I am typing this, and I still feel sick enough to throw up ;_;

WARNING! DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM IF YOU GET MOTION SICKNESS!

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Cloverfield was awesome! The shaky camera, 3 seconds of seeing the monster, and amazing ending really blew it all off!
yay.gif
[/sarcasm]

CPhantom

The Noob :(
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm probably one of the only, if not the only, person who actually LOVED Cloverfield! I don't consider it a movie though. Really, it's more of an "Artistic" piece. No main plot to it whatsoever. It intrigued me for SEVEN months as I waited for it to come out. Lucky me, I was also one of the people who didn't get motion sick.

Really. It's just a piece that was made to make it. It came outta nowhere. Just some viral marketing, a manga, and BLAM. It hits us in theaters with people puking and whining about how the movie sucked.
tongue.gif

Think about it as more of an art piece than being an action packed thriller movie. Because that is what it ISN'T and it was what people wanted. It definitely defines itself, instead of following the footsteps of other movies. Only other thing that is like it is The Blaire Witch Project.

Not better than sex...but still awesome in my opinion.
tongue.gif

Here is the plot: OH SHIT, THERE IS A GIANT MONSTER FROM THE OCEAN THAT ATTACKED. TIME TO WATCH CAMERA FOOTAGE.

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
never got into it, to me it seems like a bunch of college kids that cant act, cant do special effects well and have no clue how to film just grab a camera and run about screaming...

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I went to see this with my cousin in the cinema and she had to sit with her head down during the whole film because it was making her sick.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have obviously watched far too many skateboarding videos as it did not affect me in the slightest.

Regarding motion sickness you have obviously never seen me on a ferry.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
loads of people complained of feeling the same in the Cinemas ... truth of the matter is its a crappy movie and no doubt its because of this people were sick or felt sick due to the waste of money going to see it!

Watched it myself on DVD and its a pretty poor movie ...kinda Blair Witch Failure crossed with Starship Troopers but worse ...my opinion a total waste of a film!

Rubbish plot rubbish ending ... no doubt a rubbish sequel will come soon enough!

AVOID!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
You must have a hard time swinging Bowser around on SM64.
tongue.gif

I didn't get motion sickness but I generally hate all shaky camerawork movies. At the end of it all I was extremely pissed at the cam and how I could barely understand anything of the action scenes, the lack of good screen time for the monster, and the utter ridiculous that they were trying to get away from the monster at all times and they end up so CLOSE that one of them even gets eaten and honestly what are the odds of that thing jumping straight at THEIR helicopter when the attacking bombers were a much more likely target? All in all it felt shit, though I gotta admit I've seen worse movies... like Manos. =S

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Man, I LOVED Cloverfield.

The shaky cam just added to the realistic feeling. Didn't feel motion sickness in the slightest.

IMHO, one of the best movies ever made.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only good part of the movie was when the Statue of Liberties head came flying down the street, and from that point onwards the movie rapidly went down hill.

And whoever's been saying watching Cloverfield was better than sex, are either virgins or have really ugly chicks.

Quanno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I went to the cinema to cloverfield and some people were running away from the movie (probably to throw up) but i felt pretty normal after seeing it...

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
The shaky camera wasn't really an issue with me. My problem was that it was just not a very good movie. Some of the actors were decent, but for the most part, going the no-name route didn't work very well. The biggest problem there was that the guy holding the camera was wretched. Sure, you never saw him, but his voice acting was atrocious. And you had to hear him almost the whole time.

The plot doesn't really need mentioning, we all know how it went. Neat idea, and honestly, the background story was kind of neat. I found myself most interested in the shots of the military fighting the monster, and the general mayhem in the streets. But since the movie focused on the pointless drama of the guy looking for his girlfriend, and his friends fighting over things FAR, FAR less significant than the fact that they're potentially going to die soon, the appeal died off quickly.

Even without shaky camera work, it wouldn't have saved this movie. Keep the underlying plot, but completely rewrite the script, and shaky camera or not, it would have been a much better movie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: