Hardware I can't unscrew my N3DS. I think the screw is ruined.

DinckelMan

Your Favorite Water Mage!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mgrev There's absolutely 0 space between the screw and the plastic. The screws themselves are completely stripped and the only thing i can think of is drilling them out and putting new screws, since i'm already going to replace the shell anyway.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mgrev There's absolutely 0 space between the screw and the plastic. The screws themselves are completely stripped and the only thing i can think of is drilling them out and putting new screws, since i'm already going to replace the shell anyway.
Try using superglue to glue a screwdriver tip to the screw by holding it there then wait a few minutes and try to unscrew it.

DinckelMan

Your Favorite Water Mage!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tried the glue method, didn't work since there's not enough surface for the glue to stick too.

Breaking off the panel isn't exactly an option either cause i want it to stay usable until i get a new shell lol

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You say theres no space between the screw and the panel for tension when unscrews.

You can just attempt to lift the panel off from the sides like you would if its unscrewed, then unscrew at the same time as doing this that should give enough tension to loft the screw out.

If you had threaded the screw head thats and entirely different issue and can be fixed with the rubber band trick

strippedscrew01_rect540-e1265807015459.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's the problem. It doesn't spin. It has lost its contact with the screwdriver. Probably I caused this when I attempted unscrew with a knif.

Yeah. This is what I thought. There's one in my city, I will bring it to him tomorrow.

I've also tried this. But I got no successful.

I know that. But the transfer rate is too slow. And also, I was thinking to attempt the downgrade and I don't know if I can trust to transfer the cia files to N3DS by "wireless".
You can try network install with the latest build of FBI with increased buffer size, supposedly it's almost as fast as installing from SD. There's no official release of the latest build yet but you can find a compiled version here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8225581/FBI.zip
Use with SocketPunch (or the command line transfer tool if you prefer)
I know it's not a solution to your problem but it might be a decent alternative :)

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is basically why I unscrewed it once and left it unscrewed. It's perfectly secure without the screws.

BINGO!!!!!

Thats what I did after the 2nd time trying to remove the plates to install CIAs... Perfectly secure.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The root cause is likely that people (including myself, the first time) attempted to use standard Phillips screwdrivers. However, these screws are actually JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), and thus require JIS #0 (aka J#0, not P#0) drivers to avoid stripping the screws. Even the guys at iFixit.com got this wrong on the some of the guides.

JIS bits work for standard Phillips screws.
Phillips bits strip standard JIS screws.
I highly doubt that. Nintendo will never put JIS screws on the cover because users are supposed to be able to take the cover off. Not everyone has or even knows about JIS bits.

JIS screws will only be on the inside where you're not supposed to screw around (pun intended). I've used a Philips screwdriver multiple times and never had issues. It doesn't slip while turning so there's no way it can get stripped.

People are probably doing stupid things like using a knife (like OP) or using the wrong size.

Last edited by bowser,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I highly doubt that. Nintendo will never put JIS screws on the cover because users are supposed to be able to take the cover off. Not everyone has or even knows about JIS bits.

JIS screws will only be on the inside where you're not supposed to screw around (pun intended). I've used a Philips screwdriver multiple times and never had issues. It doesn't slip while turning so there's no way it can get stripped.

People are probably doing stupid things like using a knife (like OP) or using the wrong size.
But i heard buttering the screws makes the twist faster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte