Hacking I can't make any sense of what DS Flash cart to purchase

MSearles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad idea. It is absolutely worth the extra few bucks for the R4i Gold RTS card (http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149). The R4isdhc Gold cards have a shitty OS (you can hack it to use YSMenu) and a time bomb (artificial expiration in an attempt to get you to rebuy the card) in their official firmware. The also don't play a lot of DS games without minor graphical glitching (I can personally attest to this).

Have you personally tested this card, because I've heard good things from other members who have used this card.

Last edited by MSearles,

MSearles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used both and the Wood R4i Gold 3DS RTS is the most popular cart for many good reasons.

Damn. Spending another $16.00 after just spending $10.00 isn't appealing. Is there any site to buy it at that won't take 5 weeks to ship?

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Damn. Spending another $16.00 after just spending $10.00 isn't appealing. Is there any site to buy it at that won't take 5 weeks to ship?
I'm guessing Modchipsdirect since I've heard they ship within the US themselves. See if you can cancel your purchase.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh! I completely forgot about the whole 'timebomb' thing... There are a bunch of R4s that have pre-programmed "expiry dates" coded into their firmwares, which prevent the firmware from even booting if the system time is past the programmed date. You should definitely try to avoid any cards that could potentially have these, although it can be circumvented on some carts.

Is this the one you guys are talking about? http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html
Yes, that's the one.

Dstwo EOS is shitty and a few games need to be prepatched, but definitely it's the best flashcard
Really? I've never ever had to prepatch games on EOS. In fact, one of the things that sold me on the DStwo was the anti-AP and clean-mode functions (which allowed games with AP to be played on release day without patches, despite every single other cart needing to wait for a fix).

Last edited by YayMii,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! I completely forgot about the whole 'timebomb' thing... There are a bunch of R4s that have pre-programmed "expiry dates" coded into their firmwares, which prevent the firmware from even booting if the system time is past the programmed date. You should definitely try to avoid any cards that could potentially have these, although it can be circumvented on some carts.

Yes, that's the one.

Really? I've never ever had to prepatch games on EOS. In fact, one of the things that sold me on the DStwo was the anti-AP and clean-mode functions (which allowed games with AP to be played on release day without patches, despite every single other cart needing to wait for a fix).
I read this problem was addressed with a kernel update long ago? What's the fix?

Lordjontan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Yes, that's the one.

Its very few games, for example Kirby Mass Attack (E) or Pokemon Conquest (E)

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its very few games, for example Kirby Mass Attack (E) or Pokemon Conquest (E)
Oh, I suppose it applies only to the European versions of those games. The US versions got fixed ages ago, but it seems they haven't released a compatibility update since Pokemon Conquest (U) :huh:

I read this problem was addressed with a kernel update long ago? What's the fix?
For the DStwo? Yeah, I could've sworn they would've had 100% compatibility by now, but I guess they missed a few games... I'm pretty sure they have 100% compatibility for US and Japanese releases though.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd throw my few cents in here....

The most resilient card I've used is the DSTwo or DSTwo+*. It's true that most carts allow you to use Action Replay cheats and many have save states. The DSTwo cards offer a Free Cheat function where you can search for your own cheats, a very nice and fast Save State Manager, some modest file management systems, has survived round after round of Nintendo trying to kill it. The SuperCard team is really good about keeping the card's firmware updated to work with the latest n3ds firmware. There IS a bump on the cartridge that makes it a snug fit into the console, but I own both variations and there's no problem inserting them. Sometimes you do have to wiggle it to get it out.

That being said, a few notes about the differences between the 2 cards and a warning:

The DSTwo and DSTwo+ are essentially the same exact device in a sense that the 3ds & the "new" 3ds are the same device. They both do the exact same thing except the Plus model has better hardware that can (by use of a special plugin) run 3DS roms using Gateway's launcher software. DO NOT USE THE 3DS FUNCTIONS OF THE DSTWO+!!!! If you set it up wrong or use the wrong plugin/launcher combination, you can end up with a hard bricked console....End of Warning!

Last time I checked, the DSTwo+ was actually cheaper than the regular DSTwo (likely because the SuperCard team can't seem to fix the 3DS issues). The Plus does seem to run emulated games a bit faster, if that interests you.

If you just want to run DS roms and you don't care about features, any el cheapo cart will do (assuming it's compatible with the firmware you're on). I had pretty good results running the r4 3ds rts cart, which I believe costs around $10-$15 through most vendors. This cart does work with Action Replay codes and has some Real-Time Save and Slow-Motion features, but I never used them, so can't say how well they work.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd throw my few cents in here....

The most resilient card I've used is the DSTwo or DSTwo+*. It's true that most carts allow you to use Action Replay cheats and many have save states. The DSTwo cards offer a Free Cheat function where you can search for your own cheats, a very nice and fast Save State Manager, some modest file management systems, has survived round after round of Nintendo trying to kill it. The SuperCard team is really good about keeping the card's firmware updated to work with the latest n3ds firmware. There IS a bump on the cartridge that makes it a snug fit into the console, but I own both variations and there's no problem inserting them. Sometimes you do have to wiggle it to get it out.

That being said, a few notes about the differences between the 2 cards and a warning:

The DSTwo and DSTwo+ are essentially the same exact device in a sense that the 3ds & the "new" 3ds are the same device. They both do the exact same thing except the Plus model has better hardware that can (by use of a special plugin) run 3DS roms using Gateway's launcher software. DO NOT USE THE 3DS FUNCTIONS OF THE DSTWO+!!!! If you set it up wrong or use the wrong plugin/launcher combination, you can end up with a hard bricked console....End of Warning!

Last time I checked, the DSTwo+ was actually cheaper than the regular DSTwo (likely because the SuperCard team can't seem to fix the 3DS issues). The Plus does seem to run emulated games a bit faster, if that interests you.

If you just want to run DS roms and you don't care about features, any el cheapo cart will do (assuming it's compatible with the firmware you're on). I had pretty good results running the r4 3ds rts cart, which I believe costs around $10-$15 through most vendors. This cart does work with Action Replay codes and has some Real-Time Save and Slow-Motion features, but I never used them, so can't say how well they work.
I'd like to run snes, gba and perhaps Genesis games if possible. Is there any great incentive in getting a ds two plus for emulation?

D

Deleted-379826

I'm in canada and have been wondering if you could also help out. I've seen somewhere you can get a cheap og ds one and make it work with home brew? Basically I just want the cheapest method that plays ds games and nothing more and where I can purchase in canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/nUrYC-wHwzQ?si=CIF5SWwWIx4sXmqH