I can't find the right firmware/software for R4DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by chocolat3pi3, Feb 5, 2010.

1. chocolat3pi3
    OP

Newcomer chocolat3pi3 Member

Canada
    My r4 card is...R4 Revolution for DS(NDSL/NDS).
    Last year I was still able to download and play the new games but now, I can't. I can download them but they say "Something has happened(?) please close your ds and try again." or something like that. "It has been corrupted.(I think it was what it said.)" So I tried to search on google the softwares/firmwares that enables me to be able to play the new games but I'm not very good at understanding and knowing how to do it. So it doesn't work. I've downloaded a few but they end up being the same file I already have. _DS_MSHL.nds, _DS_MENU.DAT, and..._DS_MENU.SYS.
    Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to do it? If anyone is very nice, I would appreciate if the sites on where I can find the software/firmware, extractor(don't know if its needed), and other things I'd need to be able to play new games.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!>_

2. .:TeMpEsT:.

Newcomer .:TeMpEsT:. Member

United States
    did u try 1.18

3. chocolat3pi3
    OP

Canada
    Yeah. It was the same file as when I got my r4Ds. It still didn't work.

4. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    chocolat3pi3,

you can try to hunt yourself a ysmenu with the latest dstt unofficial firmware (try google for it or learn how to make yourself a ysmenu by refering to here)
    or
    try 1.24 for r4ds

5. chocolat3pi3
    OP

Canada
    Okay well...it still didn't work. I don't know why. I put the thing in and when I opened my Ds, it was just Loading...........................
    I don't want to make myself seem annoying, maybe I'm already annoying you guys..
    But I would've tried and searched it myself if I knew how to to learn. I've been trying to find ways for it to be able to play new games for months now and still didn't find any information that is easy understood by someone stupid on computers like me. Making my own Ymenu would only cause even more confusion for me and corrupt my card :/

6. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Basics first:

1. Have you tried a totally different microSD card in there?
    2. Have you tried the card on a friend's DS?
    3. Do normal games work ok (retail cards)?

7. chocolat3pi3
    OP

Canada
    1. uh....MicroSd what? Is that R4ds card? O__O
    2. My friends don't use r4. they use this M3.
    3. I don't really know what you mean by normal games but I could play the games before. It was about when Pokemon Sky Dungeon came out on the downloadable(like number 2000) and then I couldn't download anymore that came out after that.

8. OtakuGamerZ

Member OtakuGamerZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    1. That's the little tiny thing in the R4. We want to know because some R4s cannot load if the MicroSD card has more memory than 2GB or maybe your old MicroSD broke after time.
    2. No, XWolf meant try putting your R4 in your friends DS and see if it works. This is to check if your DS or R4 is broken.
    3. He said retail cards as in store bought games, not downloaded. Once again, this is to check if your DS or R4 is broken.

Now I recommend trying the frimware for your R4 Here->http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=193749

9. chocolat3pi3
    OP

Canada
    1. Mine's a 2gb. I also have a 1gb one.
    I use the 2gb one because I can't get the 1gb to work.
    2. Yeah it works. I always lend it to my cousin and she plays with the r4 with her ds.
    3. Yeah they work.

I know. I think I have the 1.18 one and getting the 1.24 one isn't working for my r4 or the MicroSD card.
    I just wanted to play newer games T_T and 1.18 won't let me or the others one>_<

Also, I tried the 1.24 one and it only gave me..._DS_MSHL.nds and _DS_MENU.DAT.
    Is is not suppose to give me..._DS_MENU.SYS, _system_, and moonshl file?

I just realized. I think my r4 language is chinese. So should I download a 1.24 that's in chinese rather that in english? Does that make a difference?

10. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Its taken me a couple of reads to understand what your problem actually is! I think everyone has read it that you can't load your R4 at all, where as its the fact that none of the newer "anti-piracy" protected games will play on it. Error message is something like - unable to load, game save data is corrupted. Turn off and restart.

I've got a terrible feeling this is all going to be w-a-y above your head, but your best option is to get YSMenu installed onto your MicroSD. Note: I still have an original R4 that runs the official 1.18 FW through the Games icon and YSMenu loads when you select the Multimedia button ie. 2 different firmwares to improve game compatability - well, YSMenu has the latest unofficial DSTT FW 1.17.a12, so pretty much 100% games work through it. I kept the original R4 FW mainly for aesthetics (themes) and homebrew compatability.

References:
    R4 "Dual Boot" - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=99989&st=0
    YSMenu Guide - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164...t=0&start=0 - there's also a R4YSAuto thread in this section, from memory it could be easier to use.