Homebrew Question I can’t figure this out.. No homebrew showing up

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have searched but it’s too confusing to find a clear answer that works. Maybe someone knows from experience and can possibly help. Thank you.

SX OS
Switch on 5.1.0
Samsung 256GB evo plus

Formatted sd card to Exfat using a windows 7 machine, then removed the card and put it in my Mac to transfer homebrew files and some xci backups.

I put the homebrew apps in their respective folders with all files within them to the “switch” folder, which is on the root of the sd card.

Root:
Hbmenu.nro
Switch/AppStore/appstore.nro, etc..
Switch/Zelda/zelda.nro, etc..

Homebrew menu launches but it’s empty. No homebrew.

I tried the following homebrew: AppStore and that Zelda Solaris game.

I have a few xci backups on the sd card and they load just fine.

Thoughts?

Last edited by morrison22,

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your foldername starts with an uppercase character. Change that and it'll work.

It is lowercase, I just checked.

You can also put the nro files inside the switch folder, not in a subfolder

So all the homebrew apps are be in the same folder (switch) and not organized in individual folders under the switch folder?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, that’d make for a messy group of files as some homebrew has more than a single nro file. The instructions for say, appstore, indicate the appstore folder can be placed in the switch folder.

Reactions: HtheB

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is lowercase, I just checked.

So all the homebrew apps are be in the same folder (switch) and not organized in individual folders under the switch folder?
Yup....

Edit:
Sure it should work the way you have it, but try out the messy method and check if it's working. If not, then there is some other problem that you might have to deal with

Last edited by HtheB,

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup....

Edit:
Sure it should work the way you have it, but try out the messy method and check if it's working. If not, then there is some other problem that you might have to deal with

Ok hang on gonna try it now. Brb in a few

Nope it doesn’t work. Just get the hbmenu with blue wavey water and no brew listed. Something else is up. Man. Idk what to do.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok hang on gonna try it now. Brb in a few

Nope it doesn’t work. Just get the hbmenu with blue wavey water and no brew listed. Something else is up. Man. Idk what to do.
Try to do a checkdisk on your card. Or format your card to exFat (or FAT32 if you cannot format it to exFAT)
remember to backup your stuff first if needed!

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to do a checkdisk on your card. Or format your card to exFat (or FAT32 if you cannot format it to exFAT)
remember to backup your stuff first if needed!

i already formatted it to exfat 3 times. im working on a mac right now so i need to know if there is something that is causing it to not work because of that. the card was formatted on windows though.

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
i already formatted it to exfat 3 times. im working on a mac right now so i need to know if there is something that is causing it to not work because of that. the card was formatted on windows though.
Also, be sure to have the latest version of the HB Menu:
https://github.com/switchbrew/nx-hbmenu/releases/download/v2.0.0/nx-hbmenu_v2.0.0.zip

Edit: AH!
You're using a Mac to transfer files to an exFAT formatted card. This is the problem.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sx-os-errors-and-comments-thread.507977/

Last edited by HtheB,

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
yep thats the one i am using. this page says i need to set up dns servers, is that a thing to get hbmenu working? https://switchbrew.github.io/nx-hbl/

You've probably missed my edited post, but it seems like os x and linux can corrupt the microsd card.
You should format the microsd card within windows (bootcamp?) and copy the homebrew files from there, and see if it's working.

No, no need for the DNS, unless you want to block updates

Reactions: morrison22

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've probably missed my edited post, but it seems like os x and linux can corrupt the microsd card.
You should format the microsd card within windows (bootcamp?) and copy the homebrew files from there, and see if it's working.

No, no need for the DNS, unless you want to block updates

ok thank you. i will have to get things set up with a windows machine before i can try this again.

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem.
As stated on the link I shared earlier, it's stated there that mac and linux can corrupt the card for exFAT formatted cards.

All other files on the card appear fine and are loading fine. it's just the homebrew. but to redo it all again, i have to install windows on bootcamp. gonna take me a while if there is no other way

Dustii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All other files on the card appear fine and are loading fine. it's just the homebrew. but to redo it all again, i have to install windows on bootcamp. gonna take me a while if there is no other way

I'm pretty sure running windows on a VM will be fine aswell

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have searched but it’s too confusing to find a clear answer that works. Maybe someone knows from experience and can possibly help. Thank you.

SX OS
Switch on 5.1.0
Samsung 256GB evo plus

Formatted sd card to Exfat using a windows 7 machine, then removed the card and put it in my Mac to transfer homebrew files and some xci backups.

I put the homebrew apps in their respective folders with all files within them to the “switch” folder, which is on the root of the sd card.

Root:
Hbmenu.nro
Switch/AppStore/appstore.nro, etc..
Switch/Zelda/zelda.nro, etc..

Homebrew menu launches but it’s empty. No homebrew.

I tried the following homebrew: AppStore and that Zelda Solaris game.

I have a few xci backups on the sd card and they load just fine.

Thoughts?
Had the exact same issue.

Step 1 https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases (download) and read the text, which points to:

"If you have some kind of error (Homebrew's not showing up, etc.) and are using exFAT SD's try following these steps to fix it."

Step 2 https://gbatemp.net/threads/newest-hekate-sdfiles-zip.506280/page-3#post-8029346

And then everything worked. I have literally the exact same setup as you except for the 128gb version of the card.

Last edited by sorabora,

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had the exact same issue.

Step 1 https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases (download) and read the text, which points to:

"If you have some kind of error (Homebrew's not showing up, etc.) and are using exFAT SD's try following these steps to fix it."

Step 2 https://gbatemp.net/threads/newest-hekate-sdfiles-zip.506280/page-3#post-8029346

And then everything worked. I have literally the exact same setup as you except for the 128gb version of the card.

------------

Thanks, I can try this first to save some time. I wonder if there is an OS-X equivalent command in terminal to add the properties requesting in these steps to the files on the sd card, or if i must use Windows to apply them.

Also, there are these other files and folders in the SDFiles26 zip I noticed.. for example, hekate_ipl.ini and atmosphere folder to name a couple. I was using the SX OS payload and wanted to be able to access the homebrew from within SX OS CFW. So to do so, I don't need any other files other than the hbmenu.nro and the specific homebrew I want, which will go in the switch folder, right?

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
------------

Thanks, I can try this first to save some time. I wonder if there is an OS-X equivalent command in terminal to add the properties requesting in these steps to the files on the sd card, or if i must use Windows to apply them.

Also, there are these other files and folders in the SDFiles26 zip I noticed.. for example, hekate_ipl.ini and atmosphere folder to name a couple. I was using the SX OS payload and wanted to be able to access the homebrew from within SX OS CFW. So to do so, I don't need any other files other than the hbmenu.nro and the specific homebrew I want, which will go in the switch folder, right?

I'm not 100% certain but I had spent hours and hours on this and was losing my mind. Check my post history. I came across this and was literally done in a less than five minutes; couldn't believe it. It's worked ever since. And like I said, I have the same setup:

SX OS
5.1 Switch
Mac (Win 10 in VMWare)
exFat
Samsung card

Now I just FTP all my files over :D

Try step 1 first, as is. If that doesn't work, then do step 2.

Reactions: morrison22

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
------------

Did it work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)