Hardware I can't decide between WD 400GB Passport or WD 750GB My Book??

ThE MaSTeR 3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WD 400GB Passport
22-136-300-03.jpg

Pros
-USB powered
-smaller

Cons
-less space than 750GB
-I heard passports could use too much power and shorten wiis life!

WD 750GB My Book
22-136-176-18.jpg

Pros
-Tons of space but I read usb loaders can only use 500GB is this still the case?

Cons
-My old mybook has a built in sleep mode which cant be turned off. Is this still a problem with newer mybooks. Can you turn off the sleep on newer mybooks?
-needs own power supply

My biggest concerns is any truth behind passports shortning wii's life and do the current mybook essentials have sleep issues with usb loaders?

I'll be ordering one of the two soon but first I would like to hear everyones input first before I order
smile.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea who started the rumor that USB powered drives will shorten the system's life... It's total Bull. The Wii uses standard USB 2.0 ports that were intentionally given 1.1 drivers to prevent misuse (IE by hackers). Now that 2.0 drivers have been developed it doesn't change the fact that they are still just standard 2.0 ports and are designed to supply power to external devices.

To your other question, yes USB loader can still only use 500GB per partition. I'm not sure if the My Books still have the un-turn-off-able sleep, but it may be best not to risk it unless you buy it from someplace that has an open product return policy.

Kleiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly suggest you get the 750 My book. My My Book (1TB) runs excellently. Also, to the "unturnoffable sleep" My My Book doesn't have that issue, at least. It sleeps when it's not in use to save disc life, just like a normal HDD will do, and turn on when it's needed.

However, yes USB loaders can only use a 500GB max partition.. however, some USB loaders can recognize multiple partitions. Meaning, make a 500GB partition, and a 250 GB partition, and then just have games on both. Or, do like i did, and partition X amount for games, and keep the rest for personal files. I just swap mine between my Wii and Laptop when i need it.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i got the western digital passport essential, runs fine with configurable usb loader, snes9x, mplayerce.

i partioned like 250gb wbfs, and kept the rest for my other files. [.avi, .smc, etc.]

havent had any isssues at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)