Misc I cant connect to the nintendo WFC because of security.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. The DS is hardware limited to WEP and no security and the dsi/3ds, assuming they are hacked, don't really offer anything more other than those few games that support DSi extras if that is where you will go next (theoretically with a monster hack on a per game basis you would be able to do more but nobody is going to do that).

Solution is buy an old router you can drop down low enough and set that up as a secondary network, see if you can have a guest network on your main router, make a network on your phone, or make an access point with suitably low security* on a PC with a spare wifi card (this might include the ancient Nintendo adapter but certainly don't go looking for one, and even if you have one it is still likely to be faff compared to the other options for no great gain).

*just because it is WEP and no security does not mean you can't do mac address filtering and other more active approaches, as well as turning it off after you are done.

I usually find the old router approach the easier option, not least of all because I have a stack of old routers when I upgrade them. They also tend to litter places where second hand tat lives, though that might be easier said than done.
If you have a phone though then plenty go for that, and if you have a random old USB wifi card/adapter then that is plenty viable for most too.

Jevil_DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. The DS is hardware limited to WEP and no security and the dsi/3ds, assuming they are hacked, don't really offer anything more other than those few games that support DSi extras if that is where you will go next (theoretically with a monster hack on a per game basis you would be able to do more but nobody is going to do that).

Solution is buy an old router you can drop down low enough and set that up as a secondary network, see if you can have a guest network on your main router, make a network on your phone, or make an access point with suitably low security* on a PC with a spare wifi card (this might include the ancient Nintendo adapter but certainly don't go looking for one, and even if you have one it is still likely to be faff compared to the other options for no great gain).

*just because it is WEP and no security does not mean you can't do mac address filtering and other more active approaches, as well as turning it off after you are done.

I usually find the old router approach the easier option, not least of all because I have a stack of old routers when I upgrade them. They also tend to litter places where second hand tat lives, though that might be easier said than done.
If you have a phone though then plenty go for that, and if you have .

Well censored, I cant do any of those things, close the thread

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You've never heard of 5g?
5G and 5 GHz are not the same.
5G is a mobile standard with lower latency, while 5 GHz is a band configuration for WiFi.

EDIT: OP, you could try enabling Guest networks on your router configuration, and having a 2.4 GHz guest network with WEP protection, so your DS/DSi can connect to the Internet.

Last edited by E1ite007,

BeanMKW

certified wii u owner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to your router settings, create a unsecured guest network, connect your ds, then hide the connection.

Oops. This was months ago...

Reactions: banjo2

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Go to your router settings, create a unsecured guest network, connect your ds, then hide the connection.

Oops. This was months ago...
Wardrivers can still spot hidden SSIDs.

The best solution is to DD-WRT something, set up a guest network isolated from your LAN with MAC filtering, and cap the maximum device number to 1 (or more, if you're playing with MULTIPLE DS' online, you mad lad.) and then WEP it for good measure.

And hide the SSID from casual inspection.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The best solution is to DD-WRT something, set up a guest network isolated from your LAN with MAC filtering, and cap the maximum device number to 1 (or more, if you're playing with MULTIPLE DS' online, you mad lad.) and then WEP it for good measure.

They can only find the SSID when something tries to connect to it IIRC and the connecting device also needs to be within range of the wardriver making things more difficult. I had mixed success with it back in the day.

BeanMKW

certified wii u owner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i literally comprehended absolutely nothing you just said

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho