I can't believe I was bottlenecked at 32gb ram

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you may me asking what exactly do you do with your computer to Max all 32GB ram the answer is... yes everything. I do everything there is to do with a pc from gaming,3d animation, photo, video and music editing, ai ai workloads a good bit of the whole adobe suite and now leaning game development. For me trying to use my PC as both a server host and a general use I find my 32gb ram actually getting maxed out. So I just ordered 32 more gigs. Now besides having the best nvme which is a variable anyway (I only have 2tb nvme) I have the best consumer grade PC available....now if windows wasn't so terrible is be great.

Last edited by xdarkmario,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sound confuse between your RAM and your NVME SSD, just close stuffs you don't need running to lower the amount RAM in use.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sound confuse between your RAM and your NVME SSD, just close stuffs you don't need running to lower the amount RAM in use.
I do, what CAN be closed that is. What kills me is multitasking with 3D animation and using the Adobe suite at the same time. Those are real big ram killers. Not to mention one of the biggest draws is hosting my own rust server or other game service that I have. Occasionally virtual machines too

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, what CAN be closed that is. What kills me is multitasking with 3D animation and using the Adobe suite at the same time. Those are real big ram killers. Not to mention one of the biggest draws is hosting my own rust server or other game service that I have. Occasionally virtual machines too

If you use like nearly all the available RAM when you run all your stuffs at once, then maybe you do need more RAM, 32GB is a lot already.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use like nearly all the available RAM when you run all your stuffs at once, then maybe you do need more RAM, 32GB is a lot already.
I thought so too but also more so I can fill out those empty slots lol. But also windows only will allow me to use 22gb before it starts crashing and closing apps to keep it safe

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Trying to do "everything" at the same time is not really the best way to do things.
Yea and getting 2 monitors didn't help lol, enables me to do even more lol.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought so too but also more so I can fill out those empty slots lol. But also windows only will allow me to use 22gb before it starts crashing and closing apps to keep it safe

Think CMDreamer meant running all your stuffs, like Adobe editing, VM etc, it does take up a lot of the ram available, if you are already using like 20ish GB of RAM then you probably need that extra 32GB.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8GB used to be recommended minimum, now leaning heavily 16GB. Shit, soon enough people are going to get disgusted when someone has less than 32GB. Was forced to re-buy 32GB Ram myself because for some reason, mine failed when I put it into my new pc.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe you can't believe you were bottlenecked at 32GB ram with all the things you said you have going on at the same time.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
8GB used to be recommended minimum, now leaning heavily 16GB. Shit, soon enough people are going to get disgusted when someone has less than 32GB. Was forced to re-buy 32GB Ram myself because for some reason, mine failed when I put it into my new pc.
I'd still argue that 8 is a good minimum for a PC, especially if its one that doesnt do anything big like editing or games or VMs or anything. For a gaming machine then you would need more (likely somewhere around 12gb is fine if you dont confine yourself to multiples of 8).
But in pretty much every case it depends on what the device is doing.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Ideally speaking that is the best solution but I can't add a single more PC in my current living situation, I already keep tripping my breakers:rofl2:
When I move I might be able to.

Depending on the task, maybe something like a laptop or a NUC could suffice as opposed to a full sized PC?

That said, I have an UNRAID server and I still ended up putting 64GB RAM in it because of various things e.g. Plex, Crashplan, Windows VM, etc. Eating up the original 32GB.

What surprised me just now, was that my desktop was using about 16GB with just the background stuff and some file I/O stuff running.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Maybe you need 2 more... :P

If you're not going to keep tracking a process/application 100% of the time (i.e. it doesn't need constant user interaction to do its job), then you can use it on a separate dedicated system, so it doesn't eat up all your resources and doesn't allow you to do something else.

I correct myself:
Doing everything at the same time on the same system is not the best way to do things...

The best results come when a system can do its job in a dedicated way so it can use all of its resources on a single task. I know this is opposite to nowadays multitasking culture, but that's something not all users are taking advantage of, even many software applications are not using that feature in a correct way.

Adding those 32GB of RAM will help at short term, but the benefit won't last forever, because you will want to do more things at once, and then, yes, you will need those 2 more monitors at some point.

I'd still argue that 8 is a good minimum for a PC, especially if its one that doesnt do anything big like editing or games or VMs or anything. For a gaming machine then you would need more (likely somewhere around 12gb is fine if you dont confine yourself to multiples of 8).
But in pretty much every case it depends on what the device is doing.

8 GB of RAM is way more than we used years ago. My first computer was really fast with only 1 GB of RAM back then, but today's software keeps wasting resources and are less optimized to use the system resources as they did when having way less RAM was an issue.

For a "common" user, 8 GB of RAM is more than OK, but for a gamer, that keep willing to have tons of RAM and processor power just to use it on a single task (precisely my point on my comment to @xdarkmario), so the system does that single task the best way it can without issues, will never be enough. Because as soon as they include another resource demanding task, problems will arise.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I have 40gb of ram in my computer/laptop, usually have 30gb free but I definitely notice that I don't have any of the same slowness issues I had when using 8gb!

Reactions: xdarkmario

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1