I can install IOS in vWii! But...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by damysteryman, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I never changed HBC settings before... How do I do that?

Here is file path: SD Card/apps/fstoolbox/boot.dol

2. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    the path looks good. press the (1) button and the settings will come up and then accept the changes at the bottom once you've made sure the SD card is selected.

3. Skeet1983

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I was able to boot fstoolbox from hbc, but still getting errors -1017 and -101... Do I need to update HBC or something?

4. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    Is the meta.xml file that's in the same folder as the boot.dol still the one that you couldn't see anything in when you open it in Windows?

When you open the meta.xml file in WiiXplorer what do you see?
    Have you tried just copying and pasting everything from this post
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/i-can-install-ios-in-vwii-but.338809/page-6#post-4478091
    into a blank notepad, clicking "save as" selecting "all files" from the "save as type" option and typing meta.xml and hitting "save" ?
    IMPORTANT NOTE : JUST OFF OF WHAT I KNOW ABOUT XML, I THINK IN WHAT YOU PASTE FROM THAT POST YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE A LITTLE CHANGE
    change the line that says
    <appversion="1.0">
    to
    <app version="1.0">
    (add a space there) and see if it helps.

5. Skeet1983

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    It worked and was able to successfully dump the NAND :)
    Now, how/what file do I open through ShowMiiWads? I am wanting to install IOS236...

6. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    It's been a while since I used ShowMiiWads so I don't remember EXACTLY how it's done but what you need to have it do is pack IOS36 into a WAD. I kinda think I remember IOS36 showing up as part of a long list.

Not sure if that helped at all.

7. Skeet1983

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I did a successful install of IOS236, but did notice 2 things...:

- Internet disconnects frequently in AccioHacks
    - Gecko OS cheats work (Wii Games), but unable to use cheats with VC games and WiiWare

Anyone know about this stuff and if it is possible to use VC and WiiWare cheats?

8. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I sort of hope not, just because I'm sick of cheaters. Even if you plan on only using it for offline stuff (which is okay), most people will use it to cheat online.

9. Skeet1983

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I don't cheat online and agree with you. I remember economy of WoW had to actually be reset because of bots and such. I only use cheats in offline mode/single player games.

10. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I am also a Person who only uses cheats offline. on top of that , I do not ever use cheats until i beat the game as close to or at 100% so i do not spoil the experience. I do it to mess around after i beat the game to see what random stuff i can mess with.

11. Deltaechoe

Deltaechoe The Dopefish

May 3, 2012
    United States
    Eh, people who cheat online pay for my college expenses

12. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Riivolution won't work with a patched IOS, it only works with a completely clean IOS37, so it even if it was trivial to reintroduce the exploited bug via a patch, Riivolution would refuse to use it. Not sure if Casper is the same or if it works with patched IOS.

For VC/WW, Gecko OS needs to be running on an IOS with ES_DiVerify I believe. At some point, I guess someone should fix it to use HW_AHBPROT...

Maxternal likes this.
  13. SifJar
    This message by SifJar has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 15, 2012, Reason: Duplicate.
    Dec 14, 2012
  14. MrVestek

MrVestek Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2012
    So I got ahead of myself and tried to enable USB support in vWii.

I used a batch installer which I thought would install cIOS 222 and it did... but it also updated a bunch of other slots that I wasn't expecting. When I tried to then use a USB loader my wiimote went dead. So I did a hard reset on the WiiU and ever since then the Wii Menu seems to be bricked... just presents me with a blank screen every time I try to enter it.

Does anybody know any way of recovering this or am I screwed until some kind of update is released for it?

15. nitrate

nitrate Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2012
    United States
    That's the reason why most people say, that installing a cIOS from one of the real Wii tools shouldn't be made on a Wii U's vWii - it will brick your vWii. Also in the sticky thread "...A Progress Guide..." is mentioned, that the tools installing cIOSes on a Wii (like Hermes and d2x) have to be rewritten for use with a Wii U's vWii mode.

16. lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew Sifjar is a pirate

Oct 9, 2010
    United States
    Our first official vwii Wii U brick?

17. crono141

crono141 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Call Nintendo tech support, tell them your wii mode suddenly doesn't work anymore, see what they say.

18. d0rks0ul

d0rks0ul Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2012
    Jamaica
    Try reseting your Wii U to factory default and report back.

SYSTEM SETTINGS > Delete All Content and Settings

19. DarkMatterCore

DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Cabimas, Zulia, Venezuela
    In case anyone is interested, I did a quick modification of the original Xyzzy to add compatibility with the HW_AHBPROT flag. It doesn't really depend on any IOS runtime patches, since it uses code from libOTP (by joedj) to read the OTP memory, copy its data to a memory buffer and retrieve the console keys. Thus, it no longer installs a modified IOS11 nor uses PatchMii.

I haven't tested it on a Wii U, since I still don't own one, but it works fine on a real Wii.
    Why? Because of this:

20. MrVestek

MrVestek Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2012
    That hasn't worked I'm afraid. I've already sent a repair request so I'm awaiting their shipping labels to come back to me.

This kinda sucks! At least I can still use it for proper Wii U stuff though. I don't think I'll be installing homebrew channel on it when I get it back though...

21. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    definitely let us know how that repair goes. I'm curious if they'll get suspicious about the cause and what they'd do with it in that case.

22. Stalkid64X
    This message by Stalkid64X has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 15, 2012, Reason: Trolling and reply to troll.
    Dec 14, 2012
  23. bezem
    This message by bezem has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 15, 2012, Reason: Trolling and reply to troll.
    Dec 15, 2012
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted