Hacking I can install IOS in vWii! But...

MrVestek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is not anyone else's fault if someone decided to be silly and install a bunch of stuff that they do not know about, and then end up breaking everything, nothing any of us can really do if someone DOES decide to do that (and it has already been done at least once).
I have to totally agree with you here. I made a conscious decision to try it not really knowing if it would work or not and I only have myself to blame for bricking vWii mode.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, I agree. Not trying to be mean there, but, the truth is what it is.

At least you can admit your screw-up and learn from it at least, a lot of n00bs do not, and then end up blaming everyone else for their mistake. At least vWii is sandboxed and you can still play Wii U though :)

Also, by any chance, do you know if whether or not whatever mod you were doing maxed out the version number of your IOS80?

MrVestek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't be sure to be honest with you, what I can remember is that I restored the trucha bug and then I used YAWM Multimod batch installer to try to install cIOS 222 and 223.

I'm actually not a noob at this at all and I have modified firmwares on pretty much everything I own, I was however a bit premature and I should have waited until more reserach had been done instead of taking the risk and plunging ahead.

Hopefully Nintendo will be able to repair it for me though, if not I can just sell it on and buy a new one.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah ok then, well those few steps alone would not do it... did you use a guide in particular? If you did, maybe there is more that was missed?
Have you tried telling the Wii U to check for updates to see if it would overwrite old version of IOS80 with the new vWii one?
Not sure if that would work, but I guess worth a shot if you have not tried it already.

Yeah, I have mainly only really modified Nintendo stuff, and ps3, but my main forte is Wii. And yeah, we all know that now :lol:
When I had a first look at vWii FS dump, I was pretty sure that the new IOS on it had to be the only ones that would work on it, due to hardware differences, so I was pretty careful when trying to test old ones, did not dare overwrite anything that was vital.

Yeah, hopefully they do, that would be awesome to see, and I suppose you could do that too if need be, not sure who would buy a Wii U with busted WiiMode though, the backwards compatibility is a nice feature.

MrVestek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly that's all I did. The cIOS batch installer didn't just overwrite cIOS 222 and 223 though it updated a bunch of them including (I think) ios 80.

I wasn't expecting it to do that and the guide I was following at the time didn't say that it would do that either, otherwise I wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole.

vWii mode worked fine after this until I tried to use a USB Loader... that's when the remote stopped responding and I had to powercycle the unit. Ever since then vWii has been kaput.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@damysteryman
Attila told me wireless driver on all vWii IOS's contain the string broadcom while wireless driver on all wii IOS's contain mitsumi or something like that.
Even the new IOS62 which has the same revision for both vWii and Wii is actually different having broadcom inside the first and mitsumi inside the 2nd.

madri1

Trophies
Website
www.wii-info.fr
XP
Country
France
yeah (i'm Attila), the vwii ios contain the string "broadcom", but the wii ios doesn't contain mitsumi. It's a mistumi driver but it doesn't contain string with that reference

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The Wii uses a Mitumi DWM-W004 WiFi 802.11b/g wireless LAN module:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Specifications

The WiiU uses a Broadcom BCM43237KMLG WiFi 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN module:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo Wii U Teardown/11796/2

The Wii Mini doesn't have a Wireless LAN module.

So it should be possible to check if an IOS WAD is from a Wii, WiiU or Wii Mini by checking the Wireless Driver inside the WAD.
Hmm, that makes me wonder if a Wii Mini would function with a vIOS ... or if it has it's own IOS set
(of course without an SD card you'd have to find out with a NAND chip hardware reader because you can't hack it by the traditional methods.)

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, that makes me wonder if a Wii Mini would function with a vIOS ... or if it has it's own IOS set
(of course without an SD card you'd have to find out with a NAND chip hardware reader because you can't hack it by the traditional methods.)

Maybe it has some local loopback "driver" so games that use wifi and/or sd cards won't give problems. We only know when someone can look at the Wii Mini IOSes.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it has some local loopback "driver" so games that use wifi and/or sd cards won't give problems. We only know when someone can look at the Wii Mini IOSes.

this has to be the case. nearly all devices nowadays have a loopback interface (usually 127.0.0.1) for purposes like this and other uses also. my guess is that if someone could decrypt the Wii Mini NAND (nearly Impossible without the Console Keys) , they could look at patching back in support of the USB Lan adapter to the System Menu and related IOS's so it can be used on a Wii Mini. the problem is that even if someone did this, there are 0 ways to do this to other Wii Mini's without a hardware dumper/flasher and their respective console keys to build a prepatched nand to flash back to it. at least Nintendo cannot patch any haxx via online system menu updates since it has no internet connection.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given that the vWii console key is the same as the original Wii console key, I think it would be a safe bet to assume that the WiiMini also shares the same console key. I honestly don't think Nintendo is very concerned with the security on the original wii console and its variants.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Given that the vWii console key is the same as the original Wii console key, I think it would be a safe bet to assume that the WiiMini also shares the same console key. I honestly don't think Nintendo is very concerned with the security on the original wii console and its variants.
The console key is not common key. The console key is unique to each individual wii/wiiu/wii mini. Every unit is different. Normally we get this key with homebrew so we can decrypt and modify dumps, but wii mini has no way to get any brew running to get the key.

MHDEN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console key is not common key. The console key is unique to each individual wii/wiiu/wii mini. Every unit is different. Normally we get this key with homebrew so we can decrypt and modify dumps, but wii mini has no way to get any brew running to get the key.
There MAY be a way with WiiKey Fusion or something similar .
we could mount the Homebrew Channel iso with it , and we then hope it recognizes the USB drives .

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
we could mount the Homebrew Channel iso with it , and we then hope it recognizes the USB drives .
They fixed the ability to run that ISO years ago. Besides, I doubt you can use a burned DVD with the Wii Mini drive.

And why are we even talking about this? This is a Wii U topic.

MysteriousSparrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I found this thread, I was messing around with the T bug restorer and I think I deleted iOS36.
I backed up my NAND filesystem and iOS36 is for sure missing, it also doesn't show as installed in MMM.

Would it be possible for somebody else to upload that specific ticket for iOS36 so i could NAND restore it, or is there another way?
(You can find this with ShowWiiWads.)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Actually, I was thinking like a WODE or something ... *googles WiiKey fusion* ... oh, mounting it from an SD card. I get it. Sorry.

Anyway, that certainly seems like a workable solution to me ... I just haven't been able to get information out of people who would recognize the drive connector when asking them if it looks like it's the same size or not. I can only hope it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded