I bricked my wiiu with the wiiu kiosk menu

pietempgba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed the first part of the kiosk menu titleid from 00050010 to 00050002 in /code/app.xml and /meta/meta.xml and I installed it with wup installer. It booted up to the kiosk settings menu and I pressed accept settings. I turned it off and now my console's bricked

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I changed the first part of the kiosk menu titleid from 00050010 to 00050002 in /code/app.xml and /meta/meta.xml and I installed it with wup installer. It booted up to the kiosk settings menu and I pressed accept settings. I turned it off and now my console's bricked
Well, now I think would be a good time to get a NAND programmer if you already have backup.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genuinely curious, what was your goal here? Kiosk mode is a fun novelty to experience once, but not worth the brick risks just to experience it on your own device.

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

When you say you have a brick, are you getting error error 160-0103 on bootup now?

Options:
1. Did you have CBHC installed? if yes, you may still be able to boot into FTP to fix the files.

2. Do you have a Full Nand backup you took before the changes were made? Specifically mlc.bin ? If yes, as the other folks have mentioned you may need to do an mlc restore. Please note that the the link provided in the last post is primarily for restoring SLC.bin.. A much better guide specifically for only mlc.bin would be this guide here => link .. Restoring just MLC is actually not too bad as it does not require a teensy , and only requires 5 solder points and 1 trace cut. ... (I've performed both MLC and SLC hardmods and the MLC mod is 10x times easier than the SLC mod.) .... again only useful if you have a Full Nand backup before the mod was made.

Last edited by AQS,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When you say you have a brick, are you getting error error 160-0103 on bootup now?

Options:
1. Did you have CBHC installed? if yes, you may still be able to boot into FTP to fix the files.

2. Do you have a Full Nand backup you took before the changes were made? Specifically mlc.bin ? If yes, as the other folks have mentioned you may need to do an mlc restore. Please note that the the link provided in the last post is primarily for restoring SLC.bin.. A much better guide specifically for only mlc.bin would be this guide here => link .. Restoring just MLC is actually not too bad as it does not require a teensy , and only requires 5 solder points and 1 trace cut. ... (I've performed both MLC and SLC hardmods and the MLC mod is 10x times easier than the SLC mod.) .... again only useful if you have a Full Nand backup before the mod was made.
He can dump the bricked NAND and fix it but he needs at least an OTP backup.

Reactions: pietempgba and AQS

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And another wiiu bites the dust....
All those wiius that are bricked because of actions like this, having another theme, reset the wiiu when chbc is active, installing wii ios58.... What a waste.. And there are so little made of them.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And another wiiu bites the dust....
All those wiius that are bricked because of actions like this, having another theme, reset the wiiu when chbc is active, installing wii ios58.... What a waste.. And there are so little made of them.
Themes can't permanently brick your Wii U if you have CBHC or Tiramisu. If you have either setup, then adding a permanent theme is genuinely risk free.

Also, just for clarity, I assume by resetting the Wii U with CBHC active, you mean formatting the Wii U while CBHC is installed. I'm sure that's what you meant, but I did want to make it clear for any noobs that came across your post here, that they absolutely can do a simple reset of the Wii U (that is quickly turning the system off and back on) without issue if they've installed CBHC. But to format the system with CBHC would indeed lead to a brick.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the themes from your thread safe to install? They look so good that i want to install one of these.
Yes, absolutely. But again, if you're going to install them permanently, ensure that you are in a coldboot cfw, either CBHC or Tiramisu, so that if anything does go wrong during the install, you'll still be able to recover.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Themes can't permanently brick your Wii U if you have CBHC or Tiramisu. If you have either setup, then adding a permanent theme is genuinely risk free.

Also, just for clarity, I assume by resetting the Wii U with CBHC active, you mean formatting the Wii U while CBHC is installed. I'm sure that's what you meant, but I did want to make it clear for any noobs that came across your post here, that they absolutely can do a simple reset of the Wii U (that is quickly turning the system off and back on) without issue if they've installed CBHC. But to format the system with CBHC would indeed lead to a brick.
@MikaDubbz i believe @lafleche just would like to say with "reset" the Wii U wile CBHC it's installed and activated, he just said like while CBHC it's activated (in autoboot) and you as final user start a Factory Restore of the console by the settings Menu , you (as final user) will BRICK your console..... Because to do the Factory Restore of the console, first you MUST to deactivate the CBHC in Autoboot and keep Haxchi "quite" and then proceed with the Restore of the console....

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MikaDubbz i believe @lafleche just would like to say with "reset" the Wii U wile CBHC it's installed and activated, he just said like while CBHC it's activated (in autoboot) and you as final user start a Factory Restore of the console by the settings Menu , you (as final user) will BRICK your console..... Because to do the Factory Restore of the console, first you MUST to deactivate the CBHC in Autoboot and keep Haxchi "quite" and then proceed with the Restore of the console....
Right, that's what I was clarifying when I explained that "You mean formatting the Wii U while CBHC is installed."

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the themes from your thread safe to install? They look so good that i want to install one of these.
I've had the blue theme from @MikaDubbz thread installed since either August or September of last year. I also play the wii u almost every day. I've never had a problem. never even bricked by transferring a theme as I've tested others. I always check byte size afterwards, and I use Wii U FTP Server by @Laf111 . though, I did use ftpii u everywhere the first time I changed the theme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free