I bought a Pstwo Today...

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
After years of holding I went out and bought a Pstwo console, while I wait for the Wii in case I can't buy one on launch day. Does anyone know if mod chips are trobulesome for this console, I heard the thing will die faster if I mod it. What else can I do with it? Can you play games online? I KNOW there's someone here with one of this sony things...
wink.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
You can softmod it. It also prevents the laser from dying. It has nearly no load times and you can store so many game. (a 40gb HD will do)
-but its only compatible with 75% to 80% of games even with patch. Its compatible with the most important game though.

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, is that possible? how can you do it? do you need to open the console? i've been reading about a swap disc thing is this the same? Also can I connect to ethernet over wifi? or does it still need wires.

about modchips wihch one is the best and my Pstwo doesn't have a HD...

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSTwo can't have a hard drive attached, so you can't use HD loader (what Westside is talking about). The best way to mod the PSTwo is to get the slim tool. It will let you use swap discs to boot up your backups, and it dosen't void the warranty. And its very cheap too.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
USB Extreme is a disc that allows you to hook a USB HD to the PSTwo's USB port. No modchip involved.
Google it or here's a link.
There are other ways, but that seems to be the least intrusive.
What Westside said about compatibility is true, but in those cases, just use the original disc
smile.gif

I've got a network adapter HD and HDLoader, and I looooooove it!

The mod chips you can get for the slim are a little more complicated, you have to protect the lazer, so, more wires, or install little fizzgig thing, etc... somebody else knows more about 'em than me I'm sure.

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does the swapping mode affect the durability of the console less than a modchip? Tomorrow I'll go find a professional to install one or get a swap kit only. I just want the thing to last maybe a couple years without problems. Does reading backups force the laser or something more than originals? I will get maybe like 10 originals (mostlyrpgs) and the rest will be for import backups...

I still have those Ps1 flipping over nightmares, so went with Nintendo instead this gen.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
USB Extreme is a disc that allows you to hook a USB HD to the PSTwo's USB port. No modchip involved.
Google it or here's a link.

Wow, I didn't know about that one. I've seen the one with the built-in HDD, but not a USB one. Does it play movies and mp3's, or just games?

I was thinking of getting a second-hand PS2 with a modchip now that the PS3 launch cuts their prices in half. Now I think I prefer the HDD option, but I can't get a second hand PS2 without a modchip here in Coatia (we're big on games piracy
nyanya.gif
)

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got a Slim PStwo and have been using the swap disc for a while. Although it plays most of the games perfect, I don't like swapping discs as I had to do this a LOT in the PS days. Then again, I suppose by the time I actually find a cheap, modded PS2, it will be horribly outdated.

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
swap magic owns~ less hassle ever and its useful for using homebrew and stuff
biggrin.gif

I've softmoded countless phat PS2s and created custom slide tool for my friends. Everyone that I know who have a fat ps2 can now run backup games with out having to purchase a single thing!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol