Hacking Question I bought a jailbroken switch and have no fucking idea how to update it

imafuckingdumbfuck

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I purchased an unpatched switch that was already jailbroken with an inject payloader and have absolutely no idea how to update it. Asked the guy who sold me the switch how to do updates on the firmware but he never replied. I'm scared of accidentally bricking the switch or whatever I feel like I'm way over my head with doing this whole thing completely blind.

here's an imgur link for the files on the sd

Last edited by imafuckingdumbfuck,
Reactions: yuyuyup

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) no cfw supports 13.0 yet, so the highest you can go and still use cfw is 12.1

2) find out how to update the payloads on your payload injector.

3) when updating the process goes as followed. Update cfw, update sig patches (if you're using atmosphere), update firmware.

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
1. What CFW are you on?
2. Do you have an emuNAND or not?
3. What payload are you using? (Hekate, fusee(-primary) etc)

The steps I usually do once (I inject Hekate and boot into Atmosphere emuNAND) once both Hekate and Atmosphere get updates that support the latest firmware:
- update Hekate
- update Atmosphere
- update sigpatches
- download latest Switch firmware on PC (you'll have to search for that on your own)
- put it on my Switch SD card
- boot into emuNAND through Hekate
- open Hbmenu, use Daybreak to update to latest firmware

After all that, I sometimes update the FW on my sysNAND through the usual Nintendo process.

imafuckingdumbfuck

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
1. What CFW are you on?
2. Do you have an emuNAND or not?
3. What payload are you using? (Hekate, fusee(-primary) etc)

The steps I usually do once (I inject Hekate and boot into Atmosphere emuNAND) once both Hekate and Atmosphere get updates that support the latest firmware:
- update Hekate
- update Atmosphere
- update sigpatches
- download latest Switch firmware on PC (you'll have to search for that on your own)
- put it on my Switch SD card
- boot into emuNAND through Hekate
- open Hbmenu, use Daybreak to update to latest firmware

After all that, I sometimes update the FW on my sysNAND through the usual Nintendo process.

1. where can i see my cfw version T_T
2. i checked and it said off so im assuming thats a no hahaha
3. checking the files on the sd it uses hekate and fusee (which apparently is now outdated?)

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by 1NOOB,
Reactions: Idrolitina

miskatonic77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
setting , last one down, it should say what firmeware and atmosphere you are running ,

personaly here what i would do ; delete every folder exept nintendo

download
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases

unzip on sd card

download
https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases

unzip on sd card (dont forget fuse.bin )

find Sig patches *cough* ITotalJustice/patches

boot hekate through payload (tegraRCM or other)

boot fuse.bin

profit .

I am currently trying to update my switch. can you please actually explain each step here, the "don't forget fuse" etc and the sig patches situation. I've put those things on the card in the right places and now I have literally no option to boot anything on henkaku.

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
1. where can i see my cfw version T_T
2. i checked and it said off so im assuming thats a no hahaha
3. checking the files on the sd it uses hekate and fusee (which apparently is now outdated?)
On the switch menu, go to settings > System
Should be something like "12.0.1 AMS 0.19", where 12.0.1 would be the Switch's firmware version and AMS 0.19 the indication you're running atmosphere plus its version number.

Also, there might be an "M" or an "E" on that same string. Don't worry too much about the "M", but an "E" means it's running on emuNAND

Last edited by Xalusc,

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL i psoted this in another tread thinking it was this one ;

Edit : forgot , Keeping the nintendo folder will keep your game installed ion the sd card , or else you're gonna have a little cloud and the game wont be on your card , all games files are in the "nintendo" folder , wich is the only one you want to keep to not reinstall every game .(also why i launch crash , as it was on the switch not the sd card , i didnt want to backup my 300GB+ nintendo folder just to show you lol )

Last edited by 1NOOB,

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello and sorry to resuscitate this post after a month.

I did not want to make a new one and jam the forum. I want to update my switch (unpatched FW10.1.0 and atmosphere 0.14.1) to the latest FW (13.0, I think) along with the latest version of atmosphere (1.2 in pre-release). Before posting a new thread I looked around and found this post.
I would hate to mess up the whole system so I want to proceed slowly here. I read a lot of posts and guides here on the forum and this one seemed the most recent.

@1NOOB post and videos sure helped but I wanted to double-check.
Actually a comment by @Draxzelex made me doubt how to continue. I use fusee ( or at least I believe ... RCM then inject the payload from the windows, which is actually hekate, but I always used fusee sigpatches so go guess...).

<A>
1) before updating OFW I will download Atmosphere (with atmosphere and folders along the hbmenu.nro) and the fusee.bin. Should I go with the 1.1.1 or the 1.2 pre-release?
2) substitute the files in the sd card of the switch where is my EmuMMC.
3) add the sigpatches.

<B>
after all this (RCM plus injection of the payload via computer) if I am booting without problems how should I proceed for the update of the OFW? I read here and here that I need to update both SysMMC and EmuMMC.
1) This (according to the guide) has to be done via a regular update for Sys and Daybreak for Emu?
2) Should I make a new backup of the SysMMC AFTER updating?

<C>
Finally, (the noobest question ever) how do I understand if I am launching Atmosphere with hekate or fusee? I ask this also for future reference (since sigpatches have been unified according to the readme there).
I hope I did not miss anything...

Thank you all and sorry for the long post!

Ps. Let me know if you think I should open a new thread.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello and sorry to resuscitate this post after a month.

I did not want to make a new one and jam the forum. I want to update my switch (unpatched FW10.1.0 and atmosphere 0.14.1) to the latest FW (13.0, I think) along with the latest version of atmosphere (1.2 in pre-release). Before posting a new thread I looked around and found this post.
I would hate to mess up the whole system so I want to proceed slowly here. I read a lot of posts and guides here on the forum and this one seemed the most recent.

@1NOOB post and videos sure helped but I wanted to double-check.
Actually a comment by @Draxzelex made me doubt how to continue. I use fusee ( or at least I believe ... RCM then inject the payload from the windows, which is actually hekate, but I always used fusee sigpatches so go guess...).

<A>
1) before updating OFW I will download Atmosphere (with atmosphere and folders along the hbmenu.nro) and the fusee.bin. Should I go with the 1.1.1 or the 1.2 pre-release?
2) substitute the files in the sd card of the switch where is my EmuMMC.
3) add the sigpatches.

<B>
after all this (RCM plus injection of the payload via computer) if I am booting without problems how should I proceed for the update of the OFW? I read here and here that I need to update both SysMMC and EmuMMC.
1) This (according to the guide) has to be done via a regular update for Sys and Daybreak for Emu?
2) Should I make a new backup of the SysMMC AFTER updating?

<C>
Finally, (the noobest question ever) how do I understand if I am launching Atmosphere with hekate or fusee? I ask this also for future reference (since sigpatches have been unified according to the readme there).
I hope I did not miss anything...

Thank you all and sorry for the long post!

Ps. Let me know if you think I should open a new thread.

The first thing you need to figure out is whether or not your hacked Switch has been banned, and if not, has it been setup with an emuMMC?

If the Switch has not been banned, and all hacking / pirated content has been kept on a emuMMC, you'll want to keep it that way so you can still play online with SysMMC.

If the Switch has not been banned, but emuMMC was never set up, you'll want to run haku33 to try wiping your Switch, wiping off all signs of homebrew, and then set up an emuMMC. Note that this doesn't 100% guarantee you won't get banned down the road, but I've used it on several Switch units and haven't been banned.

If the Switch is banned, there's no need for emuMMC at all, as it'll just be a waste of space on your microSD.

In any case, you can safely upgrade Atmosphere by downloading the latest version on GitHub. I'd just delete your current atmosphere folder, or rename it to atmosphere_old, and copy over the new atmosphere folder, along with new sigpatches. You'll also want to update your fusee.bin file, whether you're sending it directly with TegraRCM or if you're using Hekate to launch it, in which case it'll probably be in your payloads folder.

If you're using the typical Stock SysMMC / Dirty EmuMMC setup, there's no real reason to make regular backups of your SysMMC. I'd keep at least one backup copy around, in case you download some sort of malicious payload that bricks your Switch. But otherwise, I wouldn't really bother about keeping it updated, unless you REALLY care about your Saves and don't have them backed up via Switch Online. And yeah, you can update SysMMC just like you would on any Stock switch, and then use Daybreak to update EmuMMC.

But if you're banned, or for any other reason not using EmuMMC, then you'll only need to worry about updating SysMMC.

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The first thing you need to figure out is whether or not your hacked Switch has been banned, and if not, has it been setup with an emuMMC?

If the Switch has not been banned, and all hacking / pirated content has been kept on a emuMMC, you'll want to keep it that way so you can still play online with SysMMC.

If the Switch has not been banned, but emuMMC was never set up, you'll want to run haku33 to try wiping your Switch, wiping off all signs of homebrew, and then set up an emuMMC. Note that this doesn't 100% guarantee you won't get banned down the road, but I've used it on several Switch units and haven't been banned.

If the Switch is banned, there's no need for emuMMC at all, as it'll just be a waste of space on your microSD.

In any case, you can safely upgrade Atmosphere by downloading the latest version on GitHub. I'd just delete your current atmosphere folder, or rename it to atmosphere_old, and copy over the new atmosphere folder, along with new sigpatches. You'll also want to update your fusee.bin file, whether you're sending it directly with TegraRCM or if you're using Hekate to launch it, in which case it'll probably be in your payloads folder.

If you're using the typical Stock SysMMC / Dirty EmuMMC setup, there's no real reason to make regular backups of your SysMMC. I'd keep at least one backup copy around, in case you download some sort of malicious payload that bricks your Switch. But otherwise, I wouldn't really bother about keeping it updated, unless you REALLY care about your Saves and don't have them backed up via Switch Online. And yeah, you can update SysMMC just like you would on any Stock switch, and then use Daybreak to update EmuMMC.

But if you're banned, or for any other reason not using EmuMMC, then you'll only need to worry about updating SysMMC.
Thanks!

From what I know the switch was not banned (I got second hand but I checked and it was not banned). After I set it up with the EmuMMC I never even played with the SysMMC, I think I did not even log in once since I have jailbroken it lol. I got another Mariko here that is also practically new.

I will update Atmosphere, then the stock SysMMc and then the emuMMC with daybreak!

Thanks again!

Reactions: RHOPKINS13

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
@RHOPKINS13 Thank you for the help, I successfully updated everything!

However, it seems I have a problem with Hekate. It used to show me three options (cfw Sys/ cfw emu/ stock) but after the update, it showed the message "No main boot entries found... Check that bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini has boot entries or use More configs button for more boot entries."

I checked and in fact, it had no boot entries. I fixed it with the sig patches files shared on the forum (which have also hekate_ipl.ini).

Nonetheless, at the menu more config I still get a message reporting " No .ini or boot entries found... check that a .ini file exists in bootloader/ ini/ and that and it contains at least one entry. "

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this and what causes Hekate to not generate the .in file?

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by Idrolitina,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you delete your bootloader folder? That shouldn't have been necessary.

I'd recommend directly booting fusee.bin, but beforehand you need to make sure that your emummc is still configured correctly!

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Did you delete your bootloader folder? That shouldn't have been necessary.

I'd recommend directly booting fusee.bin, but beforehand you need to make sure that your emummc is still configured correctly!
Thanks again!
Sorry for my late reply is because of the time difference.

No, I did not delete it but I was running atms 0.14.1 and it had no ini folder (only sys, res, and payloads) also it had fusee-primary and not just fusee.bin. I anyway made a backup before any change.

I do boot from fusee.bin (and it does run correctly from the emuMMC) I just wanted to understand what caused the problem here to avoid future malfunctioning.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again!

No, I did not delete it but I was running atms 0.14.1 and it had no ini folder (only sys, res, and payloads) also it had fusee-primary and not just fusee.bin. I anyway made a backup before any change.

I do boot from fusee.bin (and it does run correctly from the emuMMC) I just wanted to understand what caused the problem here to avoid future malfunctioning.
Either the hekate_ipl.ini file was deleted or overwritten since there is no other way the issue you described would occur. You were fairly vague on the details on how exactly you updated so I suspect that is where the issue lies.

Reactions: Zap2000

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks again!

The ini folder/more configs is not important. Most people never use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.