I believe that DSX-Guru has broken the rules

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by dib, Jul 5, 2007.

Jul 5, 2007
  1. dib
    OP

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well the subject of this thread has changed in light of recent events. So here's a mirrored update on the status of DS-X for all involved, as stated by DSX-Guru:

2. stefer

Member stefer GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Guru did do that yesterday. Look : http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=4716&page=7

Says why he seemed absent for a week too.

[​IMG]

3. drdeath25

Newcomer drdeath25 Member

United States
    this is the new sticky Guru just posted:

"If you coded an application trying to use 2MB of the EEPROM space and it fails (which it won't), please PM me with a link to your project's source code and I will look into it and fix it for you - or better yet, make it use DLDI so it works on all flashcards!

However, if I do see one more person posting a thread regarding the "2MB Save Issue" who is NOT developing on such a project / application, I will instantly ban from these boards without further notice.

Sorry, but this has gone far enough. It's okay to ask for a fix, but you guys are snowballing this out of proportion.

If you now want to dodge this by saying "HEY; BACKUPS ARE LEGAL IN MY COUNTRY AND IM TALKING ABOUT ZELDA!!!!" Well, backups/roms are NOT, and i repeat, ABSOLUTELY NOT tolerated on these boards. Yes, even hinting is too much. If you can't cope with that, the door is wide open, i ask you to leave with some hostility.

Oh and by the way, stealing is a crime. Don't do it."

4. dib
    OP

United States
    I appreciate it, and I've responded in the thread over there too. So I've gone ahead and cleared out the mirror here of my own post, I'll let it stand at the DS-X forum, if anybody is curious it's at http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=4917 Instead I'll use this opportunity to mirror his post so others here can be aware.

I don't agree with some of his post. There is this curious habit of them not doing something for a long time and then having a convenient excuse upon return. Back with the firmware update, they said they were unaware that there was even a widespread problem due to not understanding how to operate the tracker.

I don't entirely disbelieve his story, but from his own admission he understood the state of the forum and how it was deteriorating even despite his illness. I'm empathetic to him helping others, but he could have taken the minute to put a statement on the forum--if he were so inclined--to say that he was sick and everything would be addressed in the near future after he was better.

What I do appreciate is the promise to try to improve. Adding new members to the staff would be a huge step in making amends and preventing similar situations in the future. And all-in-all, this is reasonable enough. If it had only been done two weeks ago this mess would never have occured.

Like I said on the forum there, I'm going to take a break and we'll see what happens. I don't even have anything to play on my DS-X at the moment, I've been too lazy to see about some of those ports like Duke Nukem 3d. But I'll be a lot happier owning one knowing that it's meeting expectations.

5. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I'm really upset with the way the DS-X Staff is treating their own consumers, and posted as such in both forums. They already have our money though, so I guess that is all they care about. I for one am not going to buy anything from them every again. I learned my lesson. The big question for me now is... R4 or Cyclo heh.

6. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There are way better carts out there with way better support. Just pick one and forget about the DS X.

7. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    OMG, a flash cart developer who is profiting from allowing people to run illegal backups lecturing people about it!? How stuck up can you get.

Playing something for free, bad as it may be, is one thing...but profiting off other people's work is way worse.

8. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Well, I can't speak for those that have illegal crap on their flashcarts, but I can speak about knowing that other card makers are able to solve problems within 48 hours, and it took the DS-X team over a week to even admit the problem, it will be at least 2 more months until users see a fix.

Moreover, I am put out that a company can't even meet the promises during launch, there is no real skinning application to make a skin easily, and there is no cross-platform support whatsoever, both of which were coming "soon" eight months ago.

9. samsoule

Newcomer samsoule Newbie

France
    So what card should we choose ?
    R4 M3 Simply or Cyclo DS ?

What do you think ?

and for the Ds-X , i gess it will make a good 512 Mbytes aditional flash cart for older roms to me [​IMG]

10. samsoule

Newcomer samsoule Newbie

France
    By the way, I wasn't able to save on certain games , like Nintendogs or mario kart either .

11. 2short

Member 2short GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    I sold me dsx 2 days ago. what a piece of shit. hmm I also need to find a new sollution...

12. kev3458

Member kev3458 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Time to get an R4 or something else...I've given up. I hope it burns well [​IMG]. Nah I'm jk.

13. tanky

Newcomer tanky Member

United Kingdom
    Totally agree.

I hope what he said is just a disclaimer and not his real opinion. I mean who buys a flash card without the intension of playing "stolen" roms on it??

If they are not submitting a fix because of this reason (which sounds likely from this post) then I am well and truly over my DS-X.

I cant wait to get to Hong Kong to pick up a cheap R4 and Cyclo! [​IMG]

14. dib
    OP

United States
    I don't really care what they do where commercial is concerned. The point was that they said the DS-X will duplicate all functionality found on the real first party cards. In order to know what is going on with those, you have to test the rom on the DS-X, and when you find an error with something such as Zelda, Sim City, or Hoshigami, then it needs to be reported. If we just plug our ears and hum, then it goes unfixed and the DS-X lags behind all other products. Just look at that recent survey here, everybody whom even mentions the DS-X all state that it was great when it debuted but quickly slipped and now wouldn't even recommend or use it.

15. MrSpud

Member MrSpud GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So that's what happened to the Ds-x team! You guys all got really sick and died [​IMG]
    God bless your souls! I'm glad you mention you didn't run off, at least you guys died with honor and dignity. [​IMG]

Just having fun...

16. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Ahh give it up man, no one cares any more, not even me.

Your a cool guy why dont you get involved in other parts of the forum and not just DS-X bash? [​IMG]

17. MrSpud

Member MrSpud GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Good question, I guess I'm still looking for answers, that and making sure that a certain mod doesn't said things behind my back, like calling my a scumbag or accusing me of things that are not true. I don't think that will happen again, I'll make sure of it.
    Forgive and forget? I'll try to forget...

You silly weirdo hypocrite, I'll see you in the testing area [​IMG]

18. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I dont think many people pay attention to that certain mod, let him say what he likes!

You silly weirdo hypocrite, I'll see you in the testing area

Um thanks? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Skybase

Newcomer Skybase Newbie

United States
    That "certain" rabid mod banned me long ago, permanently. I'd done nothing to truly provoke a banning. I'm sure anyone posting during that time that knew me would agree. I can't even log in to get updates anymore, and since the image verification is broken can't re-register. (I know, no updates/team out there anymore, but would be nice to be able to communicate w/ the rest of the people that have the cart)